Agressive dogs. What do you do.

Craig

Lets suppose your calling and and aggressive dog comes into your stand, or even a breed that is known to be aggressive.

The reason I ask is since not long ago while calling I had a Rottweiler come close to my truck while calling. I noticed him at the end of the stand, while picking up to walk back.

While he made no moves toward me, and I'm not a dog physiologist, his body language was a pretty clear "don't even think of coming near me" I gave him a wide berth while walking back and got out of there with out incidence.

Now I was thinking of what could have happened. He could have decided that I was to close, or that he simply didn't like me.

I'm personally in the mind set that the first sign of aggression will be the last from and dog I happen to come across in the field, within reason of course.

I don't know the rules on feral dogs in Canada but I would love to do some "ballistics tests" on a rottweiler. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

In other words I'd shoot it if it was legal.

Pending on how close to a house he is, if he comes at me he's done. Most farm dogs in my area stay at a reasonable proximity to their home. Not too many of the farmers around here have that "type" of aggressive dog. Any time I see a dog of that type I throw up the caution flag, you can preach till your blue in the face about them dogs but until your child comes home with his face ripped off from one that "has never been aggressive" I guess you'll always trust them.

I'm not sure of the laws my self. I do know of a couple villages that adopted a "If it leaves your property without a leash its target practice" law to deal with problem dogs. Though I suppose it differs in every area.

Though to be frank, I don't care, I'm not using strays as target practice, only shooting in self defense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Pending on how close to a house he is, if he comes at me he's done. Most farm dogs in my area stay at a reasonable proximity to their home. Not too many of the farmers around here have that "type" of aggressive dog. Any time I see a dog of that type I throw up the caution flag, you can preach till your blue in the face about them dogs but until your child comes home with his face ripped off from one that "has never been aggressive" I guess you'll always trust them.

I've been bit once, clubbed one, kicked another, and sprayed 2 more during my time as a courier (a mailman of sorts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

All were on public property, by dogs that wore no coller and were simply loose.

You could say I'm a little mistrusting of any dog I see loose. No matter the breed.

Of the 4 different dogs that attacked me 3 came from the same small village. The "all stray dogs are KOS" law was passed on a Friday, and by Monday, you could actually walk the streets at night without running into packs of stray dogs. I guess I missed one heck of a weekend.

Quote:
I'd kill it in a heartbeat if it was aggressive.

t/c223encore.

My thoughts too.

On BLM out here in Utah, the sheep herders have those big huge white mountain dogs to guard the sheep. I have had them "Tree" me in the bed of my truck a couple of times. When they come to the call, you had best get out of there. Some are very aggressive and they are legal and even encouraged to be out there. I will not shoot one of them.

I have no problem with shooting aggresive dogs. As a matter of fact I hate em and think they are a waste of air. But no way could I give you advice to just shoot a dog because it comes into a stand and is of a breed known for possible aggresion. The only dog I would recommend shooting is one that is attacking. Gonna be a fine line for you but not knowing where/when you are hunting or the demeaner of the dog could I make a recommendation.

If you are that worried about it why don't you just carry some spray like you did when you were a courier?

CB

Quote:

If you are that worried about it why don't you just carry some spray like you did when you were a courier?

CB

The reason I carried spray was because I wasn't allowed to carry a gun. Aside from that, if your spraying into the wind you are just as likely to get your self as what what ever your trying to spray.

I personally draw my own line, to shoot when I feel threatened. Hard to explain since everyone is a little different, but rest assured a 'mean' looking dog isn't any danger if he's minding his own business.

I love dogs and have a few myself, but if it comes to me getting bit or the dog "getting shot", well then I'd have to say the dog loses.

If it is honestly the dog's territory, I leave him completely alone. I won't ever shoot a landowner's dog unless I'm protecting myself, but have never had that happen yet. I won't shoot anything just for looking at me, even if it is a nasty look.

If it is a feral dog (and that is hard to know for sure unless you really know the area you are hunting) I would treat it like any other wild dog that came to my set.

If you have an electronic caller, wait till it gets close to the call and put on mt lion or something like that really loud. It worked for the two dogs I had come to my stand a few weeks ago. They dang near turned inside out to get away.

I have called several to the e-caller. I've never had to shoot any.

I have been on a ranche where the owner has instructed me to shoot "all dogs" anywhere new his cattle.

If there is a collar law and you are no where near houses and find yourself calling in dogs that have no collar, to me they are fair game. The best I have heard it said was by big Al on the last video they called in some dogs that looked docile but he said " I would like to sugar coat there fate but" whoevers private property they were hunting gave explicit instructions to dispatch any dog on the premises. No collar and no houses around means fair game.

But if it has a collar even if it is not anywhere close to a house to me that is where I personally draw the line. I feel no profit killing someones pet just to kill something.

Like many others have said if I felt threatened the dog is history. Very easy decision. Some advice though even though there may be a collar law you had better shoot to kill. I learned the hard way. Dog on our private property tearing our trash out of the can I shot the dog with a BB gun and it punctured a lung, the dog spent 2 days in a vet clinic getting it's lungs pumped and I was held responsible for the bill. I never meant to do anything but let it feel a little sting and hope it would never come back. If it is on your private property dispatch it do not wound it by accident like I did. I really never believed a BB would make it anywhere close to the dogs lungs but it did.

JMO though.

Loose & wandering dogs if not the landowners animal = a dead dog where I come from, collar or not.
Ive not had to shoot any loose ones myself, but have been told the same from ranchers. Shoot any dog you see because it wont be mine out wandering around.

I think there is fine line on this. I think if you just shoot you give us all a bad name. If it was going to attack then by all mean defend your self. But remember that if you are cought shooting some ones dog you are going to be responceable for it. ask CWeeks I bet the bill was pretty high for that vet. Remember we are all responceable hunters. Dont get me wrong I would shoot a dog if it was going to attack but I would also go out of my way to avoid the Domestic dog. I think there is a differance between wild and domestic dogs. Just because some ones dog got loose you are going to drop it? there are plenty of non leathel ways to handle the dog.

I have this set as a decision maker.

2. If its got a colar then proximity of housing, lot size, local customs/law and style of dog all come into the play.

3. If you aren't sure apply 1

Back