Accurate Reloading Dies

Personally, I don't think 800 rounds will degrade a factory 22-250 barrel that much, if at all, as far as the average shooter is concerned.

If it shot 1" groups from the start, and still shoots 1" groups now, nothing has been degraded.

If you are confident that load development is not the problem, I would re-bed the rifle. Or bed the rifle, if it is not glass bedded.

If the barrel is floated, make sure it is not making contact anywhere.

If not floated, make sure contact is even....

Hi All,
Seating depths: tried in, out, round and about. Settled on .020"
Barrel: Gunsmith bedded and independant inspected.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

Just isn't true, we were shooting dimes taped to targets with our cheap savage
110's in 222 back in the 70's. There has always been great shooting guns out
there, cheap or otherwise. It's just expected now, back then it wasn't.

Shooting dimes taped to a target with a 222 takes a reliable 1 1/4" gun, shooting dime sized groups takes an aprox. 3/4" gun. Assuming we are still talking 100 yards. Thats the reason we thought we were doing so good with a 1" gun.

I am also looking to buy a good set of dies for my Savage 22-250 and was always lead to believe RCBS were good dies.Now i am not so sure if this is what i want !! Also if my rifle shoots 1" and under i will be totally satisfied for hunting. ALL this talk about dime and 1/4" groups is doable i know, but i think it makes for good reading material also...Just my thought

I'm not trying to be a smart [beeep] but have you regularly shot sub 1" groups with any other gun?

AWS

Quote:
It was not that long ago that a honest 1" gun was something to be cherished. But that was before "internet groups" became the established norm.

Quote:
It amazes me how many 1/4" groups are shot with $400 off the rack rifles and White box ammo these days...

My Rem.788 .243 was given to me by my father over 25yrs ago, he got it from his older brother on trade. My uncle shot the crap out of that gun before I got it, and I've shot it a bunch, still shoots 1/2" groups routinely at 100yrds. and I'm not that great of a shot!
Be thankful for what you've got. I can't even afford a gun like that. I'd take it in a heartbeat!

Last edited:
Quote:
Have you tried your rounds in a different gun? I doubt it's the dies. Here's a good option instead of ladder test:
http://www.clik.to/optimalchargeweight

peace.
unloaded

Unloaded,

Have you worked with this?

This was very interesting to read. Read the whole site, thanks for posting.

I will probably experiment with this just for something new to try.

Back