skunk

i shoot them thru the lungs with a .22 short solid point bullet, but i still have about 10% that spray. if your brave enough, they sell syringes you can fix to the end of a pole, and load it with aceton, but that`s a little too close for me.can anyone elaborate on injecting skunks?

If you walk slowly and talk to the skunk you can get to like 5' from them and slide a needle into their lung from the end of a pole to inject it with something lethal, they usually don't spray doing it that way.

dont shoot em in the head i did that twice this year and both of em sprayed. but on the chance that they do spray leave them in the trap and wire the trap to a rock in a creek with fast flowing bubbly water. When you come back the next day he will smell like roses(not really but about as good as a dead skunk can smell)
oh yeah GOOD LUCK
Zach

If their in a live trap just wait until day time and walk up and let them out.Their usually curled up sleeping and it doesnt bother them at all.A friend of mine started catching alot of em' and thats how he does it.He had to throw rocks at one to get it to come out but it finally did.After they get away from your trap just shoot em' and reset your trap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I run a nuisance animal control business on the side and have had alot of experiance with this before I got specific traps for skunks. If its caught in a live trap, you can approch it very slowly and lay a tarp over top of the trap. Cut a 3" hole in the center of the tarp so you can still use the handle on the trap. Have a bungie cord to wrap around the sides so the tarp dosnt move or blow off while your moveing the trap. Once the trap is covered you can move and handle them with out much concern, just keep em calm. Tie a rope on the handle and lower into water (creek or river)until the skunk dies.Remove.

If its in a leghold, stand up wind and shoot with a 22. You'll have about a 40/60 chance that they'll spray. Even if they dont spray it will still release the oder when it dies and muscles relax. The acetone works also but its easier with the 22.same result.

My granddad used to do a lot of trapping in the eighties he would always carry a gallon of diesel with him when he caught the skunk he would shoot it and then pour the diesel over it and the surrounding area come back the next day and the smell would be gone. At least that is how I remember it.

I have not tried this but I read an article on this subject and what the author did when he had one in a live trap he would use a kill pole with aceteone into the lungs but his trick was to spay a light mist of water onto the skunk as he slowly approached. The skunk is so caught up in the fact that he is getting wet he pays the trapper no mind. There was a good article in The Trapper and Predator Calling magazine last month on skunk behavior. If you know the signs you will know when you are about to be stinkified in advance.Every one I shoot with my .22 seems to spray. Good luck.

Back