Weasel box trap ?

Here is one way to try. Trapping Archives
Here is a story about the box set up. Traps 4 kids My box like this is about 5x6x12. I have not caught anything in it yet but it has only been out a couple times. From what I understand build the box place a 1 1/2 in with the jaw at the back with bait on the inside back near the top. Make sure the pan has very little tension. The trap acts like a body grip.

There is a book by a WI trapper called Trapping Weasels in Numbers that is pretty good. I think The Trapper and Predator Caller had an artical about this not to long ago.

Hope this helps
Mark

Here are some pics of my boxes.

Front with lid open
052.jpg

The hole is 2" dia. with the bottom of hole 3" up.

Back with lid closed
053.jpg

Corners are notched just a little for air to flow and carry scent. Small enough that a mouse can't enter though.

Top with lid open showing trap placement. Up tight to and center in front of hole with bait and lure in back. I use a rat trap with the plastic yellow pan.
051.jpg

The dimensions are 5" high minimum(or trap will not funtion properly) x 4" wide x 10" long. These are the inside dimensions.

Do they work? Here's yesterdays take.
DSCN0125.jpg

A couple were frozen in the hole and will have to be thawed out to get out of the hole

We trap em at the beagle club, cause they kill rabbits. we take a wooden box but a 1 1/2 inch hole and put a small foot hold trap in it. place them about 7 feet away from rabbit holes.

What do u use for bait? Would fish parts work? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
Would be a really fun project for my two boys and I. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Use salted liver to keep from freezing for bait. I wouldn't use fish. Also use some anise or weasel all call.

Look mostly for heavy cover such as cattails, thick grass, brush piles.

Back