Time to quit

phil_h

It's time for me to quit drinking anyone offer a little help.
This the first time, and I want to make it the only time I quit.
thanks
phil

Think of this...my brother drank too much one night, his buddy bet him that he couldnt drink a half gallon of vodka in under an hour. Well, he did, and then went to the hospital. 6 hours later when they finally quit pumping his stomach, they removed his catheter and breathing tubes to give him a breathalizer. He still blew a .25 They said if they would have gotten to him 5 minutes later, he would have been dead.
After all the fines, court costs,(they found him passed out behind the wheel)and hospital bills(no insurance)he still, to this day, drinks on a daily basis until he passes out.

Dont let this be you. I know you may not be the 19 year old kid he was when this happened, but its just a bad deal all around.
I wish you luck in quitting.I am finally starting to quit smoking after a few years of a pack or more a day, and im feeling better already..
Just think of your family members...GOOD LUCK!

I just woke up one morning and decided never again would I wake up feeling like crap. It worked for me. Now if only quiting smoking was as easy. Good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Its mind control. I went throught the same thing in 2003 and I have not touched one since. I just stayed bussy and stayed away from my drinking buddies for awhile. When someone would offer me a beer I would focus and take a deep breath and just say no thank you I don't drink anymore, for a while you will get the name calling and your buddies will say come one want hurt but thats when mind contrl comes in and you need to build up self confidence that you know you can do this not only for you but for your health, your family and friends. Drink alot of tea, water etc.. get anoter habit that is all drinking is. Anybody can quit if they realy want to!!!
My Grandpa was 65 yrs. old and smoked the prince albert tabacco in can. he had the rolling papers and rolled his on smokes back in 1967. He started smoking when he was 12 yrs. old and at 65 yrs. old he started coughing up blood and the Dr. told him if he wanted to see his grandkids grow up he needed to quit smoking. He never smoked again once he step foot out of the Doctors office. He passed away in 1981. He always told me if you realy want to quit you will quit. This is not the same but might help.

If you want to take more I will.
Good Luck! I know you can do it if you realy want to and you will fill better about your self and don't look back! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Quitting is tough, but it can be done. After smoking a pipe for over 40 years, in 2001 I quit "cold Turkey" and havent had a relapse, although I have thought about it a time or two when things get stressed. To me, my pipe was my pacifier, as it was always in my mouth, lit or not. Dont know how many bits I've broken over the years. At the time of me quitting, I came down with a severe case of Broncidas (sp), and of course, the smoking tasted bad, so I thought I would just lay off for a bit. Needless to say, here 8 years later I am still "clean", but I have been diagnoised with mild COPD. I stopped in time, but still get winded if I over exert myself. You dont need all them anti-smoking aids either, like the gum, etc. Just have to put your foot down.

As to drinking....... I was a social drinker, but when I did, I went overboard. One night, in a spa, I passed out and went to the bottom and about drowned.......havent had a touch of booze since 1984.....

So, just put your mind to it, and it can be tough. Go to AA meetings if that will help; as I know it helped one of my sons.

Depending on your level of dependency, quitting may require professional help to include a short stay at a detox facility . Seriously. Long term alcohol abuse can completely rewire the circuits in the brain. However, if you haven't reached that point then surrounding yourself with positive people and avoiding 'triggers' should be the ticket.

Hang in there Brother. For me ....I decided that loosing my driver's lic., pilot's lic., and carry permit were more important than any drink. I don't want to not be in control. It's kinda funny now to sit back and watch everyone else make fools of themselves. I can offer friendship and encouragement. PM or email if you need.

Pop

I can say a prayer for you phil, but it's really all up to you.
I've been down this road numerous times with a good friend and when he falls, all I can do is encourage him to get back up.
It's harder for some than others. Don't be hard on yourself if you slip up. Dust yourself off and head back up the right trail.
An AA sponsor could be a big help.
Good Luck!

I quit smoking 12/1/08 still making it, getting easier every day.
I made a little list of the reasons to quit Cigs. I lost the list now but still remember. When it got tough I re read the list.
Make a list of things to do, when the pressure is on and you want a drink, grab the list and get busy.
Take it one day at a time. Ask your family and friends to support your effort.
Good Luck!!! NO not luck. You can do it you are stronger than you know.
Carl

I have been dry for about four months I only miss it when other people are drinking around me. You just have to have it set in your mind that you dont drink anymore and all the people around you have to understand that aswell. If people push you to drink stay away from them.

I drank enough beer in college to float a boat. I finally decided one day that the job I had in finance was difficult enough without having a cloudy mind and a hangover. I maybe have 3 or 4 beers a year now, and the smell of hard liquor about turns my stomach.

I don't look down upon anyone who does drink, that's their business--I can only control myself.

My father had a drinking problem in the 60's and early 70's. He quit with the help of AA, and was sober for the last 6 years of his life. I would suggest you search out your local AA chapter, as well as an Al-Anon chapter for your wife or kids if you are married.

Some people don't understand that this disease hurts far more than the drinker.

I will keep you in my prayers and be pulling for you!

God Bless!
Tim

Phil, you can do it. Many folks say "I'm trying to quit" or "I'm going to try to quit" or "I tried to quit". I didn't see the "try" word in your post. That's a huge step in the right direction. You also didn't say that you want to cut back to a drink only now and then. When you quit, you must quit ALL. I haven't had a drop of alcohol in well over ten years. I always had my buddy Jack within reach 24/7. I decided I needed to quit and did. I have to admit I still think about Jack often. Probably on a daily basis. I just don't give in. I'm stubborn as a general rule and don't want to fail. Be stubborn and don't try to quit. Just quit!

Quote:
Quit or Die! Is that enough help? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

t/c223encore

That's about what it came down to last night, there is no trying I'M DONE. 6:40 here now most nights i'd have a sixer down by now, But tonight it's just water.

Phil, I am going to pray God gives you strength and helps you, is that OK with you?
I KNOW you can do this.
I am with you on this and hope I can help.
Carl

I know i can do it too, pray till your blue in face if you want it's a free country still. Man it's not much fun being me right now, I think i'll just go to bed.

Stay with it buddy!!Its not easy but well worth it.One day at a time.I used AA,and had to change my places and playmates to stay sober now I have 15yrs. YOU HAVE TO WANT IT!!!!!!! Praying for you also!!! John

my brother in law the best friend ever had been buds sense before birth [my mom and his mom were friends while they were pregnant with us] the guy who introduced me to my wife, he pulled my out of a creek when i cut the main artery in my foot ran and got help tightly wrapped my foot to stop the bleeding grew up started a family and shot himself rather than do 90 days in jail without whiskey.
i stopped drinking then. that was 23 yrs ago i have never drank two drinks or beer in the same month ever sense.
i did drink my first beer of 2008 last Monday night AND i can't believe i drank the whole thing. with three weddings a NECA meeting and that beer I've drank more this year then in many many years.
i know this isn't helping you but i will be praying for you and if you want it you can make it happen god is there to talk to and help give you strength and guidance.
don't forget you have a family here at P.M. who will be cheering you on. this site has helped me when I'm struggling with life's mountains. we are all willing to help you too. it is surprising how much it helps to have folks you have never met giving you support and suggestions on dealing with things.
the best thing about praying is it never lets you be alone you can keep the faith that god will guide you in the right direction and carry the load and your job is just talking threw the struggles and believing he will help. it is easier to pray under your breath and walk away when you have faith that god will walk away with you.
then there are a few sayings i like to lean on like"god gave us mountains so we learn how to climb" and
"that that dose not kill you makes you stronger"
we are all here for you buddy. hoping you succeed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Last edited:
I sent a post earlier and after reading the above. I thought I shoud send this: I had a cousin that used to drink alot and was wild when he was young until around his early 40's. He and his wife had 2 little girls when he quit drinking. He and a business partner owned a equipment rental company( rented out heavy construction equipment). He went on a business trip trip to Houston, Tx from his families home in Denison, TX(about 6 to 7 hrs. away). His wife recieved a call around 3:30am that her husband was kill in a car wreck. He was drunk, driving a corvete(business partners sons(23yrs old) car)with the son of his business partner inside they had been driving around drinking. cops est. the speed at 100+ mph. Loses control and rollings several times, half of his body comes out the driver side window and the car crushes his head. Dead at 65yrs. old. The other guy has his set belt on and broken his ribs, right leg, righ wrist and stays in hospital for 3 weeks but walks away. No one had any ideal my cousin had started drinking agian and it cost him his life. I don't fill sorry for him, I fill sorry for those two girls, his wife and his family for what they had to go through afterwards.

SO WHEN YOU SAY IT'S TIME TO QUIT, MAKE THIS BE THE FIRST AND ONLY TIME YOU EVER SAY IT BECAUSE YOUR LIFE REALY COULD DEPEND ON IT!!! IT'S UP TO YOU!!
I'll pray for you.

Remember I've been through what your fixing to go through so I'm here if you need to talk!!!

I no you can do it!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back