204 question 25 yards to 100

EDP

I put a scope on a 204 today and bore sighted it first shot at 25 yards dead center of a 1/4" bull second through the same hole moved to 100 yards it was approx 8" high? did not get to shoot at 50,75 any idea were these might be?

You have to keep in mind the distance of your scope above the bore....

If you sighted it 'dead on' at 25yds, your barrel would be pointed at an upward angle at that point and the .204 has a pretty flat trajectory, thereby placing your point of impact high at 100yds..

Go to the Ballistics Calculator below and plug in the information for your load and specify '25yd increments' and it will give you your needed point of impact at each range.

Ballistics Calulator

The higher the scope is mounted off the barrel, the bigger the difference in p.o.i. between 25 and 100 yds. You should be at least 1" LOW @ 25yds to be in the ballpark @ 100yds, assuming an average bolt gun scope height of 1.5" above the bore...

Remember, with 1/4" adjustment clicks on your scope, you need 16 clicks to move p.o.i. ONE inch @ 25yds. That same adjustment translates into FOUR inches of p.o.i. shift @ 100yds. This may help you understand why you were sooo high the first time you shot 100yds...

Once you set your 100 (or 200) yard zero, go back and shoot again @ 25yds, to see just how LOW you are. Knowing how LOW you are hitting inside of 50yds is especially important on an AR rifle, where scope mount height is between 2-3" for flattops...

Back