request your expert opinions on these tracks

youbetcha

I'm still somewhat new to coyote hunting and have yet to down my first dog. Nonetheless, I press on. I just got back from my first ND contest and learned a little more.

Today I took my kids out hiking and scouting. I found some public land with lots of critter tracks. Most of them are deer tracks but take a look at the attached. They aren't as deep as the deer tracks and don't have the ankle drag marks. This is a marshy bottomland, close to lakes and some dairy and poultry operations. Are these coyote tracks?

The snow has covered up the bottom of the holes, so I can't see if it's a hoof or a paw. This is on a creek, bounded on both sides by a marshy woods. Thanks for any reply.

dan

tracks09.jpg

tracks08.jpg

OK, thanks much, people. I hadn't even thought of fox. This reminds me of a similar set of tracks downstream a little ways, that had a brushlike track running through it, especially in the deeper snow near the bank. I was thinking that could be the coyote's tail, but I would think a fox's tail is even bigger and more bushy. I'll see if I can go back soon and get a picture of that, but only after I try some distress calls this weekend.

It would kinda help to have an idea the distance between each print...to me they look a bit long for fox /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

sometimes you can see where the fox's tail hits the snow and leaves a "swish" mark. Sure look like coyote tracks but coyotes do a lot of zig zagging and thoughs are pretty straight. Could be deer as well but I'm leaning towards coyote. Kinda look too big and far apart to be a fox. But its hard to tell from the picture

Back