Why are their .223; .224; .225; .227 bullets?

If memory serves, many old Hornets were made from rechambered .22 rimfires. They had bullets in .222 diameter. The .223 is still used to this day so that if fired in the older guns it will still pass thru the bore without skyrocketing pressures.

I'm pretty sure I am right about this, but if I am wrong I would welcome to know the right answer.

.223 for all practical purposes are hard to find. Yes they were built to fire in the older 22 hornet barrels.

.224 is the bullet used in all other 22? chamberings. The next step up in bullet diameter is .243

Quote:
.223 for all practical purposes are hard to find. Yes they were built to fire in the older 22 hornet barrels.

.224 is the bullet used in all other 22? chamberings. The next step up in bullet diameter is .243

So you are trying to say 223 are hard to find
i guess i don't understand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

in what would be a 22 cal centerfire bullet, there are only two diameters made. They are .223 and .224 in diameter. Other than for some really old 22 hornets and maybe a few obsolete cartridges, the 223 diameter is not being used.

.224 diameter bullet is used in all modern 22 caliber chamberings.

"bullet" being the operative word here.

I do believe CZ may be using a barrel designed for .223 in their Hornets, but I have no first hand experience with them

Don't confuse .223 with 223 Remington. 223 Rem shoots .224 calber bullets. 22 Hornet cartridges were made to shoot
.223 caliber bullets

I guess i poked my head into something i know nothing
about sorry about that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

That's Ok.
That's why we all come to PM---we have questions and need answers.
And usually here at PM, no one takes our heads off just for making a simple comment.

Happy New Years

Quote:
I know that a hornet is .223, and .223 rem, 22-250, and so on are .224 but why the others?

GJ

.223 barrels for Hornets haven't been made for over 60 years.
Factory Hornet ammo is loaded with .224 bullets.

The others are names to separate them - the 218, 219, 220, 221, 222, 223, 224, and 225, all use .224 bullets.

The .227 is a true .227, and comes from the original 22 Savage Hi-Power, which was a light deer rifle that shot 70 grain bullets.

Catshooter is right on, as usual, but most people,[not into firearms], don't know they use the same bullet. They just assume a .223 Rem is bigger than a .222 Rem and on down the line. Even a .221 Fireball shoots the .224 bullets.

The different numbers in the name, are just that....a name to separate them from the others.

The .243 Win. and the 6mm Rem both use the same bullet and the 6mm Rem was introduced as the .244 Remington. The differences are in case design/capacity.

Here is a short list of cartridges that all use the .224 bullet. The same bullet used in the .223 Remington.

.22 Hornet
218 Bee
222 Remington
223 Remington
222 Remington Magnum
22 PPC
225 Winchester
22-250 Remington
Even the mighty 220 swift
223 Winchester super short mag

Hope this helps you.

I've always wondered why a firearms company hasn't chambered a rifle in .230 just to sell to the people who can't legally deer hunt with a .224 bullet. Not that I would, but it does seem like a good marketing strategy.

OK I know the .221, .222, .220 are names. I guess I was just asking what uses the .225 and .227. If their names do they need the point (.)? You don't say "Point 22-250"?

GJ

Quote:
Cat don't!! this could wind up to be the longest post in history.

And the hardest to read....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Quote:
Quote:

My first "out-loud" laugh of the day - my son called from the other room and asked what I was laughing at.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Was making a point there cat. Sorry about the spelling and grammar, never my strong point. I'm more of a math person.

GJ

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My first "out-loud" laugh of the day - my son called from the other room and asked what I was laughing at.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Cat,,,that's twice in a weeks time I've given you your first laugh of the day.

I'm thinking about getting a job as a kameedian. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cat,,,that's twice in a weeks time I've given you your first laugh of the day.

I'm thinking about getting a job as a kameedian. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I thenk yu cud bee a gud komeedean if yu wurked at it alot.

As the guys above have said, there are only two different diameter 22 caliber bullets in use today; the 223, and the 224 diameters.
The older 22 Hornets had bores that were 223, so that diameter bullet is what's used with them. All recent 22 Hornets, since about 1950, have bores that are 224, except for the CZ Hornet, which I've read is 223. All other centerfire chamberings in 22 caliber use 224 bullets.
I do have an old Winchester Model 54 rifle chambered for the 22 Hornet, and it has a 223 bore. I recently bought 223 bullets for it that Sierra makes today. They aren't hard to find.

Martyn

Back