Ray Alcorn / Major Boddicker Book

Mark_Zepp

I have always been a big Major Boddicker fan. His contributions to our great sport are more than many: over the years there has been terrific calls, an instructional cassette and video and numerous educational books and articles. No doubt about it, he has been a great ambassador for this game.

I just finished reading, for the second time, Ray Alcorn’s book, Coyote Man, My life with the Coyotes, which features editorial notes by Boddicker who played an integral part in putting this book together.

I purchased this book several months ago and have used it to pass my time while racking up frequent flyer miles on the many trips I take throughout the year. I have found myself looking forward to spending time in the belly of a 737 in order to get to the next page and process all of the information in it’s 350 plus pages.

I believe the cost of this book is around $40.00. For beginners, this book is worth ten times the price. For guys with ten years of experience, it is worth five times the price. For folks with twenty or more years of experience, it is easily worth the asking price. This is not a “how to” book. It is, however, chalked full of years worth of coyote studies and extremely interesting information.

I highly recommend reading this book if you are interested in learning more about coyotes. Again, this is not a book explaining how to call or trap coyotes, it is much more than that. If you’re interested in furthering your “coyote education”, in my opinion, this is a great read for you.

Good Hunting!

Mark

Mark

Thanks for the review on the book. I've been thinking about buying it but haven't done it yet. I agree, I really enjoy reading anything by Major Boddicker and wondered how this one would stack up. Ray Alcorn would probably keep a guy on the edge of his seat with all his stories so it sound like something I need to add to my small collection.

I really enjoy your videos, your latest in particular.

I got to get that book. I've already read some stories about Alcorn, even know someone here in Walker lake that says he knew him years ago in Fallon. I'm very much into the history of this sport, Ray Alcorn is sure part of it. Besides, I hear he's a California boy from Bishop. Lots of great predator callers from California. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

Last edited:
Agreed. This book is one of the few on my "keep and re-read several times" list from my coyote library.

- DAA

Another vote for "Coyote Man." About 6-8 years ago Varmint Hunter magazine had an article on Ray Alcorn that was excellent. I was glad to see that Major Boddicker put together a book on Alcorn's experiences.

I've read this book a couple times and its packed with interesting coyote information, illustrations, charts, and photos. Even though Ray Alcorn was a biologist, he was also an avid hunter. The book is an easy read and not written like many books and studies by biologists where the scientific method kind of takes away from the understanding of what is written(at least for me anyhow).

If you're interested in coyotes, the control of them, and the history of calling get this book.

www.critrcall.com/Books.html is where you can get "Coyote Man".

Definitely a great book,worth every cent.I have only read it a couple times but each time, I have picked up alot of great info.Plus I really enjoy the book mostly because alot of the areas in his studies are areas I have called coyotes in for the last 20 plus years.

Good Hunting Chad

Last edited:
I met Major Boddicker at the Iowa Trappers Convention 2 years ago. He was talking about baits and lures for coyotes when trapping. Very, very knowledgeable man, and it was a good demonstration he put on.

He's a down to earth type of guy, and if I'm not mistaken was born and raised in Iowa.

The Major's writing makes for easy reading from cover to cover kinda like Gerry Blair. I sold The Major some fur the winter of 84/85 and he treated me good.

Hey Billy The Kidd, have you written any books? I'd much rather read a book than watch a video. Uh oh, there I go givin away my age.

Back