Holo sight on shotgun - saddle mount or cantilever?

DAA

Administrator
Staff member
This is a purely theoretical question...

But, say a fella was interested in mounting a holo sight, Eotech or Bushnell, on a Rem. 870. Would you rather use one of those "saddle" type scope mounts, or, if you were going to be buying a new barrel anyway, would you get a barrel with a cantilever mount already on it?

Or some other arrangement entirely?

Thanks!

- DAA

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Looks like curiousity is getting the best of you. I think saddle mount would be more clean cut but I dont have any experience with either. By the way I just got done watching tricking the trickster for the 50 time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif, and I gotta tell you its gotta be my favorite. I think its the .17 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif I gotta get me one of those.

If you want to use the sight with multiple barrels, then go with the saddle. If you only plan to use it with the one barrel then I would get the cantelever.

Cantilever. I've tried a few saddle mounts and a cantilever vent rib mount and none would hold a good point of impact. My. $.02 RR

Hi Dave,

I think most shotgun barrels with cantilever mounts are rifled for slug shooting, but I could be mistaken...

I had my SBE's receiver drilled and tapped for a rail, since it was not done at the factory. My Aimpoint sits nice & low with a QD mount.

And thanks to the Benelli's raised rib, I can keep the rail on and still see my Truglo front bead unobstructed for shooting grouse, bunnies or waterfowl...

For reference...
11-7008.jpg

b.t.w...
Your PMs are full!

Fred

Quote:
I think most shotgun barrels with cantilever mounts are rifled for slug shooting, but I could be mistaken...

All the ones I've seen so far sure seem to be. Which brings up another question. Does the rifling make any difference when shooting regular shot? And negatives to a rifled barrel for #4 buck or Dead Coyote?

Quote:

Your PMs are full!

Doh... I'll clear some space. Thanks for the heads up!

- Dave

Never done it, but I'd think that any "spin" imparted on the cup or pellets would be a bad thing for pattern density. Not to mention the damage the lands may have on either...

Every saddle mount I have ever messed with was junk. Didn't sit straight and wasn't tight. If your receiver isn't drilled and tapped, it doesn't cost much to get it done. Take the time to have it done, put on a good base. You won't be sorry.

I had my holo site on an 870 and it was the cats meow. I had mine drilled and taped never lost a zero even with the heaviest loads. I put a good rail mount on it and can take off the holo site and still shoot birds with the rail on.
Cracker

Rifled barrels do NOT shoot shot loads of any sort worth a hoot. The rifling will spin your shot to the far corners of the earth.

Well, the rifled barrels are OUT then. Maybe I just read it wrong, but in doing some searching (before asking), I read MJM's build thread on his 870 and I thought he ended up using a rifled barrel? Maybe I just tried reading too fast and got it wrong.

Saddle mounts sound pretty iffy, too.

I think the drill and tap route sounds like the way to go.

Thanks fellas!

- DAA

DAA - When looking at Remington barrel spec's you need to read closely, I know I did anyways. Many cantalever barrels are rifled, but many models are not, they come with a rifled CHOKE and a cylinder choke. If it doesn't say FULLY rifled it is a remchoke with a rifled choke tube (a quick note to Remington confirmed that before I ordered). The slug barrels, like the one I purchased, are the same. The sights are fierce too.

I looke very hard at the cantalever barrels and was about to make the jump, but read a review on Midway that said that the base was aluminum and the guy bent his a couple times. Made me nervous. If the pictures of my shotgun are still available (occasioanlly they go away for some reason) you can see that I went with a weaver side mount. The reasons are two fold. First the base is absolutely ROCK solid and very low to the receiver. Then I like the fact that the scope can be easily removed. A good option if the scope looses battery power or you need to take it off for any number of other reasons. I like the mount very much. There is a negative though. You can't mount a side saddle shell holder on th receiver. Mine is mounted on the stock, but the jury is still out on that, because you simply can't shoot from the weak side with this shell holder in place.

The stock I used has surprised me as well. I'm not an AR guy, you probably know that, but this stock arrangememt is becomming more and more comfortable all the time. A side advantage. This 870 was brutal to shoot with heavy loads, I don't know why, but it was awful. This stock has tamed the felt recoil significantly and it's not one of those designed to do so.

Thanks for the clarification Michael. And, you answered another question before I could ask it, about the Rem. barrel descriptions - I was wondering about that.

- DAA

My Benelli M1 has a tapped receiver so I mounted my Burris Fast Fire on a $7 Weaver rail. Works great. I think having the receiver tapped would be inexpensive and the best option.

Back