Questions About AR Barrel Lengths and Handguard Lengths

Hutch218

Ok, I have a 16" Bushmaster heavy barrel with a carbine length gas system and I was planning on getting a new handguard. Right now I have a Yankee Hill handguard, and I just wanted a different one because it is really wide and I prefer skinny, narrow handguards. So my first question is, should I get another carbine length handguard or should I get a mid-length handguard? If I got the mid-length handguard I would have to put a low-profile gas block, and my main concern is the flip-up iron sights. With a carbine-length handguard I would get a gas block with a built-in flip up iron sight, but with a mid-length handguard I would have to mount an iron sight on the rail. Is there any disadvantage or advantage to either one?

Second question, I figured since I was gonna get a new handguard this might also be the time to get a new barrel if I want one. I heard that the 16" barrel was way louder than 18",20", and 24". I have shot my 16" gun outside with no ear protection and it was a little louder than most other .223's I've shot but not that much louder. I have also heard AR's with longer barrels shot at the range and they didn't seem much quieter than mine, but maybe I'm wrong. Is the 16" barrel that much louder? An 18" barrel is as long as I would go, would an 18" barrel be that much quieter than my 16"? That's really the only reason I would get a new barrel is if the 18" barrel would be significantly quieter.

Thanks,
Matt

Often, if it has any kind of flash hider, it will be louder than without. The longer the barrel, the "quieter" it will seem, how much, depends on how much longer (18" won't be a BIG difference, 22,24 is very noticeable)......also, muzzle flash will be reduced the longer ya go.

The longer handguard with sight mounted to the rail will give you longer distance between front and rear sights.....which is usually a better thing than a shorter distance. Also, it will give more room for stuff like a clamp on bi-pod or vertical fore end grip, more surface area for supported shooting off the rail/handguard rather than off the barrel, etc.

I just got an M&P rifle with the longer fore end rail that runs about 3" over the gas block, and really like it so far! Have had several different configurations.

Is that the main advantage of the mid-length handguard? Is there any advantage to a carbine length handguard? I think the mid-length handguards look a little better but I'm wondering if its worth the extra money.

Thanks,
Matt

No barrel length is quiet enough so that you can shoot it without hearing protection. Every single shot, even in a 30" barrel, causes permanent hearing loss.

Jack

Get the full length. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I like my JP on a 16"
ar00011cy0.jpg

Back