How much Varget for .223WSSM w/50gr V-MAX?

Caligater

Hey guys,

I'm in KC for the Holidays and my Dad and I are loading up some .223WSSM for me to take home with me. We don't have a lot of time to test out a lot of loads, and I am not looking to drive tacks, just a reliable hunting load, but accuracy is more important than speed (especially since a slow load is still smoking fast)

I am shooting a Browning A-Bolt Varmint Stalker. At this time, we're looking at loading 41grs of Varget. Think that should do the trick?

My manual dosn't show a Yarget load recommendation for the 50gr V-MAX. It shows Varget loads for the 55gr V-MAX an 60gr V-MAX, but not for 50. Sorry, guess I can't help you on this one.
Tony

Quote:
Heres the 50gr data for on hodgdons web site. for a 50 gr barnes.

min 41.0 3784 50,500 PSI
max 44.0 4015 61,800 PSI

Hornadys 7th edition says for a 50 grain V-Max bullet start is 38 grains and max load 41.7 @4000fps

Not meaning to change the subject but you may want to look at H-4350 when you run out of Varget. Much better for the WSSM.

We just got back from the range and with 15-25 facing cross winds we were able to shoot roughly 1" 5 shot groups with the 41gr Varget loads. That will be by far good enough for now. If I ever get time to work up better loads, I will, but for now the coyotes won't care how tight the groups are!

Sorry guys, I didn't read the heading of this post close enough and thought it was asking for info on the .223, not the .223wssm. My manual is just for the .223, so I don't have the right info for the .223wssm. I will try and read closer from now on before giving info.
Tony

Back