How To Black Out Gold Logos on Nikon Monarch Scope

Hutch218

I have a Nikon Monarch scope on my AR and yesterday out in the field my buddy told me that he could see the glint of the shiny gold logos from pretty far away and he said they kinda stood out. Have any of you painted these or somehow gotten rid of them? How should I go about blacking them out? I put camo wrap on my gun when I hunt so the only one that isn't camo'd is the one on the turret cap, I guess I could just tape it over but I would prefer some other way if possible. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt

I picked up a roll of gorilla tape the other day and it should work great. Flat black and removable, and if it leaves a little residue you should be able to remove it with some solvent.

Move it from the side(left-right adjustment) to the top(up-down adjustment). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif I always have my rifle on shooting sticks while calling and the only way it would be visible then would be from above. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Just my .02 and that way you would still have the decoration for show.
Tony

I just bought some camo wrap at Sportsman's warehouse and it's pretty cool stuff. It sticks to itself but leaves no sticky residue on the rifle. It's also reuseable. You could wrap your scope with that.

I just put a 4.5-14x Nikon Buckmaster series on my 700 tactical and didn't like the gold "Buckmaster" logo on the objective bell. I just colored it with a Marks-a-Lot. Took 2 or 3 "coats" but now you can hardly see it and no gold "bling." Wish manufacturers would think more about stuff like this. Guess they like their logos to show up.

I would simply just call Nikon, and order another black one. Good companies like Leupold, you can tell them you smashed it, and they'll send you one free of charge. With Nikon you'll likely pay for it, but it won't be much.

Either that, or just hit it with a paint marker and call it good........

Quote:
Move it from the side(left-right adjustment) to the top(up-down adjustment). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif I always have my rifle on shooting sticks while calling and the only way it would be visible then would be from above. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Just my .02 and that way you would still have the decoration for show.
Tony

That's what I usually do, I just wanted a permanent solution. I tried a sharpie marker and it doesn't wipe off, but its still pretty shiny. Its better than the gold, but still kinda shiny. I'm kinda worried about taking a dremel to my expensive scope, I was gonna call Nikon and see if I can get another cap without the logo on it, I would imagine that they keep little parts like that available. Thanks for the help guys, if Nikon does have extra caps then I'll let you all know if you.

This is an interesting subjust. Here's my thoughts...
I don't think such a small amount of reflective material should matter that much. I have 4-5" of stainless steel barrel showing on my AR and it doesn't seem to make that much difference. I try to have my gun pointed at the coyote as it comes in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif From my experience coyotes spook if they smell me or catch me moving. I would bet that a coyote would see the reflection from your blued barrel before it would see the logo on your scope. I personally wouldn't worry about the small stuff and just go hunt and put some fur on the ground. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've got a Buckmaster in Realtree camo and it's got gold lettering on the turret cap. I moved it to the top and called it good, but still. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Quote:
I don't think such a small amount of reflective material should matter that much. I have 4-5" of stainless steel barrel showing on my AR and it doesn't seem to make that much difference. I try to have my gun pointed at the coyote as it comes in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif From my experience coyotes spook if they smell me or catch me moving. I would bet that a coyote would see the reflection from your blued barrel before it would see the logo on your scope. I personally wouldn't worry about the small stuff and just go hunt and put some fur on the ground. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yep /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif.

Lucas

Quote:

Ya, that's probably true. And I probably don't need to wear a face mask and do a lot of the other stuff that I do, but the way I see it, it can only help. It might not help much, but it can never hurt. 90% of stuff like that doesn't really do that much except make you feel a little more confident. [beeep], I know guys that call in coyotes with jeans and a flannel shirt on, and it is possible but doing all the little things might make a significant difference when added together and they make me feel a little more confident. And I also like little projects and stuff when I need something to do.

Quote:
...they make me feel a little more confident.

If doing it will bring up your confidence then I say go for it. If you don't have confidence in yourself or your equipment then things can/will get frustrating.

Back