.17 Remington Scope?

Matt N.

So let's hear it. What is the perfect scope for a .17 Remington, Remington 700 BDL to be used for predators and varmits, and why? I am mostly interested in scopes no more expensive than Lepould Vari X II.
Thanks.
Matt.

I can't say my set-up is perfect, but it works for me. One rifle has a straight Leupold 6x, another a VXIII 2.5-8x, and a few have 3-9x40 VXII's. I only use them for calling rifles. I might go with a 4-12 or so for colony varmints.

For a calling rifle, the shots are generally close so high magnification is not needed. I usually leave my adjustable scopes set about 4x. Predators can pop up fast and out of no-where it seems, so I want to get on them fast, sometimes they won't slowdown or stop. I've been really tempted to buy a straight 4x scope for this reason, and I hear the straight power scopes gather more light than adjustables.

There you go. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:
If you want to get only one scope look into the Leupold 4 to 12. It's a little big for a calling rifle. A little small for a PD gun. But it's a fair scope for both.

take a look at nikons line of scopes, really really great glass for the price, i have 2 a buckmasters 3-9x40 on my NEF 223 handi rifle, and a buckmasters 4.5-14x40SF on my ar 15 i love them both and have really good luck with them. just my 2 cents.

thanks,
adam

I have a Zeiss Conquest 3x9x50 on mine. Works well for me a lot better glass than a Leupold for not much more money. It's not to much on close up shots and all you need out to 3-400 yards.

Bushnell 4200 or Weaver Grand Slam both are good for the money paid I would get something in the 4-15 variable.

My favorite calling scope regardless of caliber is 2x7 power.

My 17 Rem has a VXII in 2x7,i've had precious little time to hunt this winter.

In past year's i had a Rifleman 2x7 on a Rem700 in 223 & it worked really well for me.

Since you mention varmint's maybe 3x9 power,above that you lose the lower end "Field Of View"

My newest .17 Remmy is wearing my oldest 6.5-20X Leupold scope on it. Ground squirrels are tiny critters and you really need some power to your glass if you are going to hit them out much past 300 yards or so.

But, I love it for the pasture poodles as well. When the wind is being kind, it is about my favorite gun to have out in the fields. 400 yard dogs are not impossible to hit at this range with a 20 grain Vmax. They wont blow up no, but they will be dead where the bullet found them you bet.

But I love to see the bullets hit home too. With the .17 Remington (and even more so the .17 Furball) you can watch every shot hit home. Heck- that is most of the fun right there!

Thats kinda weird, having a scope on hold for a gun. Kinda like having a screen with out a tower (talking about computers). Or a motor idling at a stop light with out a chaise. You know what I mean? Yes I know that I'm talking it way to seriously but its kinda disturbing.

JK

GJ

Shopping for the same thing right now. The Bushnell 6500 2.5-16x42 looks like the perfect scope for my purposes. I shoot alot of woodchucks in the summer and like the higher mag but want the lower power with the wider FOV for calling. Problem is I am having a hard time putting down the money for anything other than a Leupold. Just sent a Kahles 2-7 back to Austria to get fixed, 4-6 week wait. I have heard alot of stories about other companies and their customer service or lack of. I know Leupold stands behind theirs. Can't quite decide between the Leupold 4-12 or the Bushnell 2.5-16.

Look at the nikon prostaffs, I have 2 of them in 3x9 with the bdc reticle, go out and see where you need to hold for you to be on out to 400 yards.

I would go with a burris, or a Konus I have bought a couple of them and they seem to be a good scope you also get a lifetime warranty. I am not to big of a Leupold fan. I have 2 of them and both have been sent back to get fixed. My VXIII is on its 3rd trip back for warranty. I can tell you I wont buy another one.

Leupold has a great repair department because it gets used a lot. Even their top of the line BR scopes usually take 3 trips through repair to make them half way right.

Jack

Jack..Do you have a suggestion for a scope.Or do you just make remark's to beat up Leupold ??

I'm not talking Benchrest as most of us here are weekend Coyote hunter's.I could care less about BR Scope's.

It's apparent you don't like Leupold's..

Quote:
I am not to big of a Leupold fan. I have 2 of them and both have been sent back to get fixed. My VXIII is on its 3rd trip back for warranty. I can tell you I wont buy another one.

foxxpro..
Would you care to tell us about why they needed sent back for repair's..I'm just curious.

I have about a dozen Leupolds and have never had a problem with one in over 30 years of using them. They aren't safe queens either. Tried a Kahles 2-7 that was on sale about 12 years ago and it had been a fine scope. The gun it was on started shooting all over this year and gave me fits until I figured out the scope was bad. They are fixing it but it isn't going to be quick. Have seen a few bad Simmons, Bushnells and others that other people have owned, but most of these were bottom of the line scopes. I think they all have problems occaisionally, I just want to know someone is going to stand behind it if there is a problem.

Quote:
I am mostly interested in scopes no more expensive than Lepould Vari X II.

IMO,,,, You just answered your own question.
If a VXII is what you can afford then that's what I would get.
Once you get into the upper end (quality and price wise) there are several as good or better than Leupold, but in the lower end I'd take a Leupold every time.

As far as power goes,,, there's no free lunch. However FOV trumps magnification every time on a Predator rig.
A 3X9 is a pretty good trade out and won't break the bank.

Another concideration is that although Leupold buys glass and other parts from overseas vendors, they are assembled in Oregon. Buying their products at least keeps a few dollars at home.
Leupold's warranty speaks for it's self.

Good Luck

Quote:
Thats kinda weird, having a scope on hold for a gun. Yes I know that I'm talking it way to seriously but its kinda disturbing.

It just tells me that he's thought the project out before diving into it.

Or that he has a box full of extra scopes laying around. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back