coyote/fox pens

DVXDUDE

Up here in Ontario I've heard of a few places that keep live coyotes and foxes and even the odd bear in fenced in areas so people can let their hounds go and helps training them. I'm almost positive that this practise is illegal but it still goes on. My cousin owns a few hounds and he told me he got them from a place that had one of these pens. He said the guy would get coyotes/foxes from den sites and raise them then let them go in the fenced in area and let the dogs take care of it. Helps the younger dogs learn faster.

I found this to be a terrible way to training dogs to hunt and its pretty low key since its illegal.

just wondering if this goes on elsewhere like in the states, and is it legal???

I don't know if it's legal or not, I assume it isn't, but I have heard of two seperate places, both in Missouri, that do this.

There are "pens" in the states, Legal,or not, is controlled by each state. Like many other things it is not fair to "judge the unknown". The pens I know of have very strick rules about "bay only", they also have "outs"( a place for the game to get into where the dogs can't follow)Most pens are stocked with grown yotes, or fox that have been trapped, not "pups" dug out of dens. If you do some research, and keep an open mind you may find more info on the topic.

We have a few coyote pens here in Michigan. They usually buy the game from people that sell them legally. They usually put fox in the puppy pens so the the pups can learn how to run and don't get hurt by full grown coyote. The coyote are in the big pens meant for the older dogs. And they do have places for the game to hide so the dogs don't get at them when the feel pressured.

there are plenty of pens in canada and the states.every pen i know of has a licence to operate that facility. as duane said, it`s frowned upon to let the hound catch a yote. they are there for the training of hound, not for the killing. there are also training pens for rabbit and coon through out north america. i`ve pen training in pens for 15 years and still have never seen a yote killed. the pen i run most does have a safe area for the yotes to rest up if they want. there`s one yote that will come out let you pet him for awhile, then go mess with the hounds for a few hrs. when he feels tired he`ll go back in his safe zone or come back for some more affection.

DVXDUDE
Before you go about running the pens in the ground you should do some research first!!
Yes there are pens all over the USA!!!! Yes they are leagle!!
No they dont dig dens out and put young ones in!!
NO they dont kill them just to kill!! Some do get caught but is frowned on very much!!
Its a great way to start young hounds and run compatition hunts!! A lot of people run hounds in pens now cause of all the tree huggers and folks that own 3 acres and dont want hunting!!
You should come and watch before you degrade it!!

Vargy

Fox pens aren't just for training pups. All of the ones I know of hold field trials and there can be some big money in those. I was talking to a guy who runs one that is 900 acres. He told me he bought 500 coyotes at $100.00 each to put in it, along with about 100 fox. I think he told me he fed them 3200 pounds of dog food a week. At one hunt there was 745 dogs and the entry fee was $45.00 each. Now I don't hunt with dogs BUT I sure ain't gonna knock it because I like to listen to a good chase now and then. He also has places the 'yotes and fox can hide in but the dogs can't get to them.

We don't have any "pens " out here, but i was raised out east, and every pen I have been to was run for "training only".I'm sure some have trials, but as a kid paid no attention(to lots of things).Every pen I have been to was run real tight.

Anyone have any leads on a pen in Utah or Southern Idaho please PM me. Figure its time to get my pup exposed to a yote or two.

I know we have a pen or two in Mo, but not sure where. I think theres one close to Glasco, I talked to a guy that lives there and sells yotes to the pen.

If a guy lives in the country catching one to get your dogs started on is pretty easy with a cable restraint.

Got some in indiana. I remember last year a nuisance control guy got busted for something to do with transporting coyotes or foxes to one, or hauling across state lines? There is a large one a couple counties from here. Not sure about the legalities. There are some interesting "agreements" between the DNR and the nuisance control folks, with transplanting trapped predators from here to there, only to be re-trapped again there, according to the guy I asked about getting dispatched foxes for dog training purposes.

Hello, Just stumbled on to this thread. I'm looking for a coyote pens in WI and MI or anywhere else. I need a place to conduct youth field trails for Deutscher Wachtelhunds. These are not hounds, but a type of versatile Spaniel. They have to prove that they can trail and bark on the trail up to 1500 meters. In Germany they run them on hares, however hares are hard to come by. The youth field trail has to be conducted before the dog is 18 months old. It would be one dog at a time, little chance of a coyote getting caught.

I would like to go to a feild trial and watch and learn socialize etc.. so if any one can point me in the right direction in Indiana or close to PM me.

Back