v-max vs. hollow points

bner21

I am new to reloading and was wondering, other than apperance, what the difference between v-max and hollow points (performance, fur friendliness)? Oh yeah I am loading these into a Savage 22-250 (if this matters). Thanks for any info.

Both bullets I have shot and both had killed nicely.. The hollow point allows you to have not as much damage in my expereinces.. The vmax bullets are nice but if you hit that front shoulder of a yote then I was getting that splash effect with huge holes.. Some in the neighborhood of 5-6" and it was nasty.. The hollow points penetrate better for me if you do hit bone... Just my opinion...

V max tears them up alot more than a hollow point. But if you are not worried about fur damage then go with the vmax.

Never used a HP, just 50 gr V-maxs. Never had an issue with blow ups including the 2 I shot today.

I have thought about trying some 52 gr. match HP's for fox though. V-maxs tear the heck outta them.

CB

I have thought about trying some 52 gr. match HP's for fox though. V-maxs tear the heck outta them.

CB

I shot 3 today with the Nosler 52 gr. match bullets out of a 223 AR. Small entrances and no exits. Shots were 60-125 yards. They were all DRT. We did all we could do to call in some fox to get a little variety but no go, I would have liked to shoot one to see how it would handle the HPBT.

At high velocities(22-250) the Vmax will put them down with authority but as stated, fur-friendly they aren't always. I love them and shoot them in 223 and 22-250.

I was getting to many that didn't drop in their tracks with HP's.

Well, I can tell you this: When shooting prairie dogs with my 220 Swift the hollow points (Sierra) opened the dogs up and splatter their guts around on the ground. When shot with the same bullet weight Vmax bullet at the same velocites, the dog just pretty much evaporates. The proverbial Red Mist come into play. I know that dust is part of the "mist" but really, it is something to behold. I have gone out where I have shot them at close range and the dirt around them where I shot is slightly damp and has a pinkish tint to it. Try it next time and you will see what I mean.

Quote:
Well, I can tell you this: When shooting prairie dogs with my 220 Swift the hollow points (Sierra) opened the dogs up and splatter their guts around on the ground. When shot with the same bullet weight Vmax bullet at the same velocites, the dog just pretty much evaporates. The proverbial Red Mist come into play. I know that dust is part of the "mist" but really, it is something to behold. I have gone out where I have shot them at close range and the dirt around them where I shot is slightly damp and has a pinkish tint to it. Try it next time and you will see what I mean.

The V-Max are the same on Crows...

I personally have had issues with the 52 and 53 grain Hp's. They have not done well with keeping dogs down. But those were the Hornady Hp matches. I have heard great things about the berger HP's though.

I love the vmaxes but have had a few bad bad holes in dogs from shoulder splashes and neck shots. a couple of 4-7 inch holes in the past 4 years+ of using them is not too bad.

Quote:
Thanks everybody. I think I will definately load some up for prairie dogs and try them on coyotes too. Thanks again.

I don't think you'll see a lot of difference between the two when shooting prairie dogs. I've used the v max on coyotes with devastating internal damage. JMHO

Quote:
Quote:

The V-Max are the same on Crows...

I'll second that one. And they do a lot of damage to armadillos too.

Back