How Long, pelts?

frederickmd

Just curious how long will pelts last before they start going south? Specifically, after they have been fleshed and dried? If pelt prices are lousy can you freeze a pelt after it has been put-up and say sell them next year or at a latter time when prices go up? Thanks.

If memory serves correctly, here's what I recall:
If you didn't stretch and dry them, but have them rolled up nicely, fur side out, and frozen, the will easily last until the end of next year in the freezer. But no longer. I'm guessing they will get freezer burnt.
I think I recall reading that if they are stretched and dried that they will last until next year, but your problems will be keeping them in the proper climate and keeping bugs from getting to the hides. I don't think you want to freeze them unless you can get them in a sealed package, because of the freeze dry effect. You would want to keep them in a cool, dry, dark location that would be free of insects.
Perhaps someone else can add some better info to this.
Good luck.
M

I dont know I was kind of wanting to keep the first coyote pelt I ever did without messing up on for you know.....forever? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
They shouldnt rot or anything if you flesh it good.I've had it for over a year now and it doesnt stink or anything.Tanning it will make it plyable but I didnt think it had anything to do with preserving the skin.
I dont know a whole lot about it either I guess but I never thought much about it.
But to answer your question.I think it should be alright for as long as you want to keep it.

I'm aware of insect damage. Last year I had a grey & red fox along with a coon which I had fleshed well and dried/stretched. However, at some point insects (beetles) got into them and made pelts worthless. What a waste. That's why I was wondering about freezing? I wonder about those large type vacuum/space saver bags might work and then placing in freezer? I guess the best thing is to only harvest when you believe pelt prices are up somewhat! Any of you guys ship to NAFA to sell your fur and if so is there a minimum qty. you can ship to them? I usually only have a few.

I have had no problem leaving raw pelts in the freezer for a year or more. If you anticipate longer cold storage be sure to roll the pelt up with the face on the inside, for less chance of freezer burn. I have also had no problems keeping streached and dried hides over for a year. The key here is to keep them DRY and in a cool (doen't have to be freezing place) if possible. Never had a problem with bugs, and they sell right along with that years catch when I sell. If you are keeping a hide for yourself I highly recomend getting it tanned.

get it tanned...otherwise properly stretched and dried fur can be stored for more than a year. NAFA does have a route to pick up your fur--depending on area.

you can ship any amount of furs to NAFA. If you are only going to ship a couple I wouldn't bother joining their fur council ($100 for 5 years and a reduced commission) as it won't be worth it to spend that much unless you plan on saving at least $100 over 5 years. They will charge you a nominal fee if you dont join and I am pretty sure they charge like a dollar or so per long haired fur (fox/coyote/etc) because they drum them before they go to auction.

Back