Where's the Sako guys?Need advise!

bgtme

I have a Sako 75 .222 with a clip,no problems.I was going to take the big {stupid}leap and buy one in a 85 in a .204.Then I was reading that the clips are different!My 75 model you just pull forward at front of clip and it drops,no problem.I was reading where this guy said you had to push the clip up as well as pull back on lever,saying it basically takes both hands to get the clip out!Anyone get to handle or buy a short action Sako 85 yet?

It sounds like you are asking about a removable magazine, not a clip? Clips are what are used to load magazines, fixed or removable.

Jack

Last edited:
Yeah I guess around here they're called clips more than removable magazines.Whether be a 10/22 Ruger or 788.Since I asked the question I've found out that the 75 and 85 mags will interchange.If that is the case then it would have to be a difference in the gun.I don't know if there is even a difference,but this guy went all the way to call it "child proof".But before I throw down that much cash,I'd kinda like to know.Maybe that guy had one that was just bent a little or something?It will make all the difference in the world to me,for what they want out of those SA 85's.

Don't know of any production guns that use clips anymore. Especially Sako's. Magazines are quite popular though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I guess its just where a guys from.I would say they are called clips by most around here.What about my Browning 223 Varmint?It has a hinged floorplate and then you take the part that holds the rounds,is that a clip then?Even though we are gettin kinda far away from my original question.

Sounds like to me that you have answered your own question, looking for a confirmation.

Why in the world would you want a gun with a difficult to remove magazine, just because it is a Sako????

I am a sako guy but your sako is a lot newer than the 3 that I use . I have the L579 and the L461 actions . Good luck with yours .

Just because it's a Sako probably does have a lot to do with it.I didn't say this venture had to make any since.I just like guns that you can load and unload quick.As far as guns go there is absolutely no way I can justify it,but I'll never admit it to the old lady.I haven't seen a Savage Predator in a detachable mag. in a .204 yet,do they make them?seen .223,but know .204.And I have a .222 Sako 75 that shoots as good as it looks,and Sako's always seemed to fit me better.I'm pretty tall,but I have a predator 22-250 that I like pretty well also.But it's a blind box pain in the but.My 75,the mag falls right out no problem.The mags interchange between the 75 and 85's so it might of been B.S. I was reading about how hard they were to get out.

Wish I could help on the mag question, I have a 75 but in a floor plate design.
I haven't ever heard of the 85's being difficult to remove until your post.

Here, since this ridiculing has to come up every time somebody uses the
word clip. And most people were calling magazines clips before most of this
forums members were born. But at least now if you read the article you can
properly instruct some one of their error.

http://www.thegunzone.com/clips-mags.html

Thanks,1badshee.Believe I'll go with the Savage.Pretty is one thing,$1000 dollars worth of pretty,is another.I'm glad I checked back with this post before 4PM because thats when my ffl holder got home.As far as the 'clip' fed guns,I guess,around here, we've always said 'detachable clips',detachable mag or hinged floor plate,never magazines.Thats too big a word.Rim fires were referred to as clip fed or tube.We must not be the only guys still using clips.

I have a Sako 75 with DBM. Have fooled with an 85. It is supposed be more "fool proof" as far as not accidentally releasing the DBM. They are a little tricky at first, but no problem once you get used to them. Personally, the one on the 75 works just fine IMO......

I agree with you 2muchgun.I have no complaints with my 75.Don't know about the push up, pull latch set up with the 85's.1badshee has me headed in another direction now though anyway.

This is right out of the Sako 85 Manual:

MAGAZINE
All SAKO Model 85 rifles are supplied with a detachable clip magazine.
The magazine release is provided with a safety meachanism which prevents
magazine being released accidentally. The magazine is released by pressing
upwards on the front of the magazine base plate, while simultaneously
pulling the magazine release backwards.

Thanks for the info MTWS525.I got an old Riihimaki with a steel checked but plate and grip cap in a 222rem I was thinking about converting.

Back