75gr a-max in a 22-250

skeetlee

My rem 700vs isn't shooting quite well enough for me. Its holding 5 shot groups right around 1" with 40 50 and 55gr bullets but I am still not satisfied. I do know that this isn't terrible for a factory rifle by any means, but it can do better with some help. If i decide to have this rifle re barreled what twist will i have to go to to shoot the 75gr a-max bullets? And should i ackley Improve this cartridge to get the most out of this type of bullet or do you think a standard 22-250 will push the bullet fast enough? I am thinking along the lines of a long range prairie dog shooting rifle with one of my mcree aluminum stocks. Just an idea at this point as i already have a couple projects in the works. Lee

If you are going to rebarrel the 250, then consider going 6mm in an Ackley and necking open the brass. You'll find your velocities are up and most 6mm bullets are better than most 224 bullets and there is a much better selection. You should also experience less throat erosion and bust those P-Dogs way out there. It will cost the same either way.

skeetlee

Are you shooting factory loads or hand loads? Maybe try shooting a proven accuracy hand load such as a 50 gr Nosler BT or comparable bullet with 36.0 grs Varget. This may help determine the accuracy potential of your rifle.
I have a lot of 50 gr BT's and will send you some if you want to give them a try, Send me a PM.

If you go with a premium barrel, go with a 1:8 or 1:9 twist for the heavy weights.

JD338

Short action 700's are really too short for the 6mm Cartridge, I have had eight of them and always wished they had put the cartridge on a long action.

I built a custom 6mm rem on a Parker Hale action that was a long action, and appreciated it's longer magazine length from day one.

Lee, why do you want to shoot a 75g A max?

I had a rifle built to shoot that exact bullet. I put a 28" Krieger barrel on the rifle. The fellows at Krieger recommended a 1in8 twist for the 75 grain A-Max.

Someone recommended the 6mm bullet. If you check the BC of the 75 grain A-Max against any of the 75 grain 6mm bullets you will find that the 22 caliber 75 grain bullet has a higher BC. Notice I am not saying the 22 caliber 75 grain bullet has a higher BC than the larger 6mm bullets. I am only comparing 75 grain bullets. And 75 grain bullets are plenty large enough to get the job done on sub 100# critters way out to 700 or 800 yards.

A 75 grain A-Max at 3400 fps is a real long distance varmint rifle.

This rifle also shoots the 55 grain bullets(Hornady factory rounds) in the .3's. Tom.

IMG_0521.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys but i already have a 6mm plan in the works. I like the 22-250 and mine isn't shooting terrible by any means. It is just not as good as i would like. I looked back in my records and i have tried 12 different load combo's and the best i can get was a 3 shot group that measured .8321 this was using benchmark and sierra 52gr match bullets. I have 3 more load combos ready to go for the next descent day. I would like to shoot 55 v-max out of this rifle but so far its not looking so good. I have an friend that used to shoot long range comps and he hung out with speedy gonzales (I think this is his name) And he claims speedy used to shoot heavy 22cal bullets in a 22-250 out to 1000 yards in competition. I have several 75 a-max bullets on hand and if i re barrel this rifle i want to be able to try them out but still shoot the 55gr v-max as a coyote load. Am i making any sense here or am i looking at this all wrong? jd338 i will try the varget with 50gr noslers as i have the components to do so. Lee

I assume you've already looked to the more obvious accuracy factors (bedding, screw tightness, checking crown, etc); prior to considering a rebarrel?

I'd think that if you're going to rebarrel with the mindset of using the 75 gr AMAX, I'd go Ackley with a 1-8 twist. You'd probably still get decent accuracy with the lighter bullets, as a bonus. Just make sure you choose a quality barrel maker, and have a competent smith put it together.

It's only money....

Kaiser Norton

A standard .223 will shoot a 75g Amax. You just need to match the correct bullets with the correct twist... Your factory 22-250 is either a 1/12" or 1/14".

1/8" would be my choice. 50's will shoot excellent in it as well. I run a 1/8" in the .223ai and an AR's in .223.

Is your rifle bedded? Everything tight? New or used rifle?

Btw, do you ever use the search function? You could prolly answer all your questions by searching around here or on the hide. Just a thought though...

Yes i use the search function quite often! Thanks for asking though. I guess were not supposed to discuss our rifles here. Anyway yes everything is mounted correctly and the rifle has good glass on it. The rifle is in an hs stock but isnt bedded. To be quite honest the accuracy this rifle is producing isn't terrible for a factory rifle. I just cant get it to shoot the bullet i would like for it to shoot. (55 v-max) I am not going to do anything right away with this rifle except keep looking for different load combo's.
The board was a little slow this morning and everyone in my home are taking a little nap so i thought i would discuss this with you folks. Next time i will use the search and see if i can find anything about my rifle not shooting as well as i would like. Merry x-mas Lee

All Remingtons are 1:14 twist, this is just insane as to why in this day and age they don't upgrade to a faster twist like they have in the 223 Rem. It would make for better accuracy.

skettlee, I have several M700's and they all shoot well under MOA with the right loads. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to find a good load for your SPS.
My 22-250 is a M700 VLS, 26" Varmint barrel.
Here is the 50 gr BT with 36.0 grs Varget-
22-250Rem50grBT398.jpg

Here is the 55 gr BT with 35.0 grs RL 15-
22-250Rem55grBT471.jpg

Hope this helps.

JD338

The search function is not the best answer for this question as it is specific to 22-250 and 75 grain A-Max bullets.

Lee, since you already have a 6mm (sorry, I didn't know that) and want to stay with 22-250, then the 8 twist will probably be your best bet and as stated above a quality barrel and action job will do wonders for your application.

A friend of mine & board member,swear's plastic tipped bullet's won't shoot in his 22/250..

I've heard this from time to time from other's here.

If you haven't tried i'd suggest one of the 52 grain match bullet's with 760 or 380.

Quote:
All Remingtons are 1:14 twist, this is just insane as to why in this day and age they don't upgrade to a faster twist like they have in the 223 Rem. It would make for better accuracy.

the reason is, shooting heavy bullets in the 22-250 defeats its purpose, the 22-250 is at its best shooting 50-55 grn bullets @ 3700-3900+ fps, the purpose is flat trajectory to 350 yards, which is about the limit most guys can accurately shoot in field conditions, without a non field type rest. if you wanna shoot bullets of 60 grns and heavier you will likely need a scope turret and a rest that isn't that portable, in which case a 6mm with its larger case, sleeker bullets is way better a long range option, the heavy 223 bullets where developed for guys shooting ar-15's in high power matches shooting at KNOWN distances, a much different situation than hunting conditions where angle and elevation are one of many factors, if you put a 8 or 9 twist in a 22-250, 50 grn bullet would likely go poof when they exit the barrel. personally I would opt for a 12 twist if I was doing a custom

Well the groups were a bit better today. I mounted the 22-250 in one of my Mcree aluminum stock and torqued down to 55 inch # The 50gr v-max measured .645 and the 55 v-max at .587 with h380 and just about the same with h414. these were all 4 shot groups. Why? It just worked out that way. I have a feeling that the HS stock i have could use a bedding job or i had the action screws torqued down to much. I will now start working on the bullet seating lengths. I had these loads at 50 thou off the lands.
I have some 40gr bullets loaded up as well but i didnt get to shoot them tonight. My fingers started to get numb so i packed it up. I am pleased with these results for now as i really like the rifle and i dont need anything else to worry about right now. I would still like to have a 22cal of some type to shoot those 75gr a-max bullets. My rock river AR has a 8 twist barrel I may try them in that rifle as soon as i get a different scope for it. One with more power. I sold the Bushnell 1.25x4x24 that i had on it. It was a very nice scope but it just didnt have enough magnification for me. I just cant get real excited about shooting the AR for some reason. Maybe a different scope will help?? Sorry if i sounded a bit hasty superseal110 I just like to talk!! Sometimes to much I am sure. Have a good evening guys, Lee

I've owned an 1-8"twist 22-250 and it was a pretty good rifle. I had no issues with blowing up any kind of light bullets, but the only light bullets I shot were 40 and 50gr Vmax's. Mine was a 22"er and 75Amax's run 3300+. That rifle had 1200 rounds through it when I yanked the barrel and had it rebuilt as a 1-9" twist 243AI for the 105 Amax's. The reason I was done with the 22-250 was that I had built my 223AI and I much prefered it to the '250 for a play gun with the heavy bullets.

Dave, recently I helped a good friend with is Rem 700 VSSF in 22/250. He wanted to shoot the 55g Nosler Win combined Tec bullet. I grabbed some win 760 and off to the range we go.

At 41.0g of 760, we started shooting bug holes with his rifle, and velocity was 3850 out of his particular barrel which I thought was a miracle for a 22/250. If I had not been using an Ohler 35P with two chronographs, I would have thought that there was a malfunction with the speed checker.

We tried some naked 55g Noslers, and the accuracy load with the same lot of powder was 39.0g-39.5g of 760. The coating on the bullets required more powder to bring up the accuracy. It got too dark to check the speed on the naked bullets.

He was busting 2 3/4" clay pigeons (mini's) at 400 yards and never missing them. Needless to say, it was a day that he would never forget!

Try 20 thousandths off the lands, your rem 700 w/ 1x14 twist may shoot the Speer 70 gr SP as it was designed more for that factory twist ...for sure, the 63 gr. Sierra should shoot in the 1x14 twist...good luck

Back