The Great Shotgun Debate: Remington 870 vs. Mossberg

Shot and used both had problems with the 870 didn't like it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
Love the Mossberg 835 never had a lick of trouble with it. Great Value /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

The only problem is it tends to kick a little the
3.5's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The 870 Wingmaster because of the ease of stripping it down for cleaning and reassembly. As for barrel length something between 20" and 26" is ideal for predators and turkeys.

"Ok, I'm sure we've all heard this before and its been argued to no end but I did a search and couldn't find anything on this site."

Not much of a search as it was covered in detail about 2 days ago.

Jack

Quote:
even a express is built better than a mossberg 500. Dont make any kind of decision until you try a Benelli nova. They look kinda wild but they are top notch. Lee

The design is better, but the express's big green has turned out the last few years have been done very cheap and it shows. Their not even built as good as the ones just 5 years ago. The express of today, is just a turd living on it's Daddy's reputation! Not saying the 500 is better, but the express's being put out at this time, are just not that good.

The wingmaster is in a class all by itself!

Last edited:
Quote:
"Ok, I'm sure we've all heard this before and its been argued to no end but I did a search and couldn't find anything on this site."

Not much of a search as it was covered in detail about 2 days ago.

Jack

Well I typed "Remington 870 Mossberg 500" in the search bar and got nothing. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong but for some reason every time I try to search something I get a bunch of results that have nothing to do with what I typed in, and even when I search subject only (as opposed to in subject and body) I didn't find anything. Maybe I'm doing something wrong in the search, but I did multiple searches and didn't see anything.

Quote:
If we are talking the 870 express, they are just as cheap and crappy feeling as the 500. Upper end 870's (wingmaster) win hands down, but the express and 500 are a wash. I do like the saftey on the 500 though.

I have to agree 100% and I was a Remington fan. When they introduced the Sportsman line thats when the Express went downhill fast. Cheaper wood, plastic trigger guard and a finish that is not so easy to care for if you use the gun in a corrosive environment like saltwater duck hunting.

I have a 500 and it has a plastic guard as well but at the time when I bought the gun the price difference was about 20% cheaper than the 870 Express. The 500 is a much lighter shotgun to carry all day in the field. Even without the heavier reciever mine still withstood many years of grueling waterfowl hunts without a breakdown.

The metal bars connecting the front stock and the receiver which are what operates the action when pumped are very thin on a Mossberg.
One of my friends had them snap on him while hunting in cold weather. The Remingtons are better, but the Benelli and Browning are the best.

I've had a lot of 870's, many. I have had 3 Mossburg 500's that I bought in pawn shops for $135 (used) with screw in chokes. I have yet to have any problems with the Mossburgs.

870's are probably twice the price of the Mossburgs. For guys that live on a tight budget, price alone will make a choice for them.

For me, the placement of the safety on the Mossburg is much more user friendly than the placement of the safety on the trigger guard, and I have been shooting Rem 870's, 1100's, 11/87's, and Brownings all my life.

When it comes to something like this, pride of ownership comes into play, and to many guys, it is just below their dignity to shoot a Mossburg.

I shot doves in Az. with a 410 pump in a Mossburg 500 and never had any problems after thousands of shells fired. I had a truck gun that was a Mossburg 500 12ga-3 inch with screw in chokes that I really beat the heck out of, and it never failed to feed.

I do believe that the military and much of the police are using Mossburg 500's.

There is nothing wrong with the 870's and neither the 500's or 835's, they are all good guns. I consider the Browning BPS the cadilac of the pumps that I have used, and consider it a much better gun than the Win Model 12.

I have owned several of both, and the 870 is the winner hands down. the 870 is the most popular shotgun ever. more 870'S have been sold than any other shotgun....and for good reason. I am a conservation officer for the state of Mississippi. We carry the 870 with magazine extension. If given the choice to carry any shotgun made, I would stay with the 870.

They're comparable. however, Remington's QC has not been up to snuff for the last several years. I've had to have warranty work done on two 870's. In a years time, I spoke with several people who had multiple issues with 870's they'd bought. They couldnt get the empty hulls out of the chamber. Same problem; multiple folks. My 500 has never given a hiccup. It's been in the mud and muck and hasn't complained. Neither has my 28 year old 870 wingmaster.

That being said, if you buy an 870, look for an old one at a gun show or pawn shop. You might get a better gun than a new 870. That's if you decide on Remington.

Or, you can just go buy a new Mossberg and run with it.

Quote:
870 wins this one hands down.......................... Benelli nova Beats them both!! Lee

2 - 3 times over!!! Benelli, there is no substitue...

Quote:
So, which one do you prefer and why for a predator calling gun.

Actually neither, I prefer the Benelli M1. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

My 870 Express is about 20 years old, solid gun. I have an Mossberg 500 Security model with the 8 shot tube, about 15 years old, pretty solid too. I like the safety on the 500 better. But if you're gonna put a pistol grip/rifle stock on it (like an AR15) then the safety advantage goes back to the Remington. I'd trust my life with either.

If they've cheapened up the new Remingtons, then I'd give the Mossberg a hard look, or hunt the pawnshops for an older 870 Express.

Back