The Great Shotgun Debate: Remington 870 vs. Mossberg

Hutch218

Ok, I'm sure we've all heard this before and its been argued to no end but I did a search and couldn't find anything on this site. So, which one do you prefer and why for a predator calling gun. I've been thinking of building one up for predator calling, partly because I just think it would be fun to build one up. I would be doing a budget build but both guns are cheap so that isn't really an issue. I imagine that its mostly personal preference like every other big debate, but I figured some of you guys on here would be able to give me some good insight. I saw the post with all the pics of shotguns and there were plenty of both so let's here why you guys chose one over the other. And also, what barrel length do you think is best?

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:
I bought a MOSSBERG TACTICAL 535 TACTICAL turkey gun with a collapsible stock ,camo with a tasco camo red dot and absolutely love this gun . This gun is small when stock is pushed all the way in and is handy in the yote and turkey woods for this reason!!!!!!! I also like it for the reason of pushed in it is the same as a youth pump and idea down the road for my two boys (6and going on 8).

I've got an 870 and my son shoots a 500. I much prefer the 870 over the 500. The biggest reason is ease of maintainence. To me, it's just easier to tear down and reassemble an 870. There's nothing wrong with the 500, it'll kill things just as dead but in my opinion, they're just not designed as well.

There is no "Great Debate" here and really nothing to debate at all...Remington 870 hands down, not to mention the standard for law enforcement.

Last edited:
The Remington 870 is more robust with a steel receiver, maintenance and field stripping is easy.
I really like the safety position on the Mossberg 500.

870 hands down. But when I'm heading out to wack a few yotes I look at the 870 and grab my old Browning BPS! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i bought gma fudge the mossberg youth mod. and the saftey was and is hard to use! got her the 870 and she loves it!! i have both the 500 and 870 and use both but the 870 wins hands down..

In addition to my Savage Predator 22-250, I've begun toting a Mossberg 500. It came with two barrels when purchased, a 28 inch fixed modified and 18 1/2 inch cylinder bore. I called Mossberg because I ordered a full choke from them before I realized it was a fixed mod for the 28 inch barrel. The rep, I spoke to had me send in the 28 inch barrel and sent me a 20 inch barrel (per my request) with the accu choke and all chokes for no cost. Really took care of me! I wanted the shorter barrel for compactness. I purchased three boxes of Federal Premium copper coated lead BB in 3 inch and will pattern them with the full choke this Friday.

If I was a goose hunter, I woulda kept the 28 inch barrel, but let me ask a question. Am I giving up a great deal of killing range with the 20 full choke barrel? I plan on limiting shots to forty/fifty yards max. If I get into duck and goose at some point, I'll buy a 28 inch barrel.

Hmm, sounds like the 870 is the preferred model. I have been leaning that way to begin with, mostly because of the safety position and the availability of aftermarket parts and stuff. What barrel length do most of you guys like? I like the idea of a short barrel cause it would be easier to carry and maneuver, but is there much of an accuracy or range disadvantage to shorter barreled guns?

If we are talking the 870 express, they are just as cheap and crappy feeling as the 500. Upper end 870's (wingmaster) win hands down, but the express and 500 are a wash. I do like the saftey on the 500 though.

I've had two 870 Express's in 12 gauge in the last few years, one a 3 inch and one a 3.5 inch. Both with plastic stocks. Both of them would rust even if left in a bucket of oil. The 3.5 inch version was a bear to shoot and I shoot an 8mm Rem mag for my deer gun. Both of the express's are long gone now.

Went to the Mossberg 835 3.5 inch and am really pleased. Like Sand said the express models are cheap and crappy. Over the years I've owned and shot several older 870's and been pleased with them. If you like the 870 then go with one, but stay away from the express model.

The 835 I now use for a turkey gun is an excellent shotgun, recoil is manageable and not uncomfortable even with 2 ounce 3.5 inch loads and the porting of the new guns keeps the barrel down for a quick second shot.

Here's the one I'm shooting now.

Mossberg835-1.jpg

Here's the sights that come stock on the ported, camo'ed turkey model.

Mosberr835frontsight.jpg

Mosberg835-rearsight.jpg

even a express is built better than a mossberg 500. Dont make any kind of decision until you try a Benelli nova. They look kinda wild but they are top notch. Lee

Acctually the real differance between the two is one has a steel reciever the other is aluminum, other than that they both have the same features. Some folks prefer the safety button on top like the mossberg others prefer the push button on the trigger guard like the remmy. I own both and like them both equilly. I have most likely spent more time with an 870 since that was what I was issued in my patrol car. but my 835 Mossy is just as fast and as handy, it also will take a 3&1/2" shell the remmy is limited to 3" but I hear the newer remmys can be had in 3&1/2 " as well. So that is another non issue.

I have two 870s and a Mossberg 835. I like all of them about the same. If there is anything that I do have a preference for, it is the tang safety on the Mossy. That goes back to years of hunting with an O/U or S/S shotgun for ducks and upland birds. If looks matter, then I think the 870 wins.

I think that you would be pleased with either - they are both great firearms. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I like my 870. It is an older Ohio State Highway Patrol model with extended mgazine tube. I replaced the folding stock with with a black polymer one I got at Wal-Mart. That's a big advantage of the 870s. Lots of after market stuff available for them. I used this shotgun in three gun IDPA matches. Recently I purchased a rifle sighted Rem Choke barrel for it to use for coyotes. Love this gun. I do not have any experience with the Mosberg for comparison!

JimGuns42405119.jpg

Jim

Back