25-06 and IMR 4064?

Anyone ever use this combination for 100-117 grain bullets? I use this powder in all of my other rifles and would like to use it for my 25-06... Anyone have any pet loads? I will hold no one responsible for loads as i will research the min and max load anyways.... These are going to shot out of a Stevens that my wife is getting me for Christmas! I love her! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Andrew

Quote:
Anyone ever use this combination for 100-117 grain bullets? I use this powder in all of my other rifles and would like to use it for my 25-06... Anyone have any pet loads? I will hold no one responsible for loads as i will research the min and max load anyways.... These are going to shot out of a Stevens that my wife is getting me for Christmas! I love her! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Andrew

It is MUCH too fast for the cartridge/bullet you mention - you need to look at powders in the burning range of 4350 and 4831.

Quote:

It is MUCH too fast for the cartridge/bullet you mention - you need to look at powders in the burning range of 4350 and 4831.

Those were actually my second picks on powders... which is better suited for the 25-06?

Animal,

Many consider 4831 the ideal powder for the 25-06.
I tried 4350, 4831, and a few others before I tried
Reloader 19, on the 100 gr. bullets I shoot out of
my 25-06. In my rifle(Tikka M695), RL-19 shines.
But 4831 would be a good place to start.

Squeeze

I had a Savage 110 F in 25-06. I used 56 grs of H4831sc, CCI LR primer and 100 gr BTs, it was a coyote slaying machine. I wacked quite a few way out there with this combo.

I've been using H-4831sc and it works well for the heavier slugs, and I like the ballistics of the Nosler 115gr ballistic tip.

I'll also say again that I wish a bullet manufacturer would make a real light skinned 100gr slug for the 25 on varmints. The current 100 grainers that I'm aware of are really good on deer

Warning--Do not confuse IMR-4831 with H-4831. Some old reloading books did not show them as being different. However the IMR is hotter. It's still a good powder but the amounts used are different.

I shoot 3 shot groups at 100 yards that I can cover with a dime and nickel with these two reloads you might consider, the 100gr. Sierra BT is a great load for Coyote and Deer and I use the 117gr. Sierra Flat Base for mainly Deer.

100gr. Sierra BT Bullet
52.0gr. IMR 4350 Powder
Win LR Primer
Rem. Case
3 shot group cover with a dime!!!

117gr. Sierra Flat Base
51.0gr. H4831 Powder
Win. LR Primer
Rem. Case
3 shot group cover with a nickel!!!

Rifle used is a Thompson Center Encore 28" Barrel 25-06 Rem.

Hope this will help.

Quote:
It says on the hodgdons site that IMR4064 can be used for 100 grn bullets.

didnt know if it worked effectively or not.

Aminal - Loading manuals often list a lot of powers across a broad range.

The fact that it "can" be used, does not mean it is a good choice.

I have a loading manual that list loads for Bullseye, blue dot, 4227, 4198, etc... for the 6mm Remington and 243 Win.

At the expense of sounding terse, (and I don't mean to)... "Just because they list it, doesn't mean it's a good choice".

There are some guys that buy one kind of powder to load all their riffles, and for those guys, that kind of info is useful - but if you are looking for good performance from the 25-06, with effective powders, you really need to get into the burning range of slower powders.

At peak pressures, IMR-4064 will bring the 25-06 down to the level of the 250 Savage... and leave enough space in the case that a family of hamsters could move in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Everything boils down to what combo shots best in your gun. I've seen alot of guys buy a gun and try a factoy load and it doesn't shoot good. They think they have a bad Barrel. I can tell you how many times I've seen that happen!
You just have to find the right combo for that gun.
Powder wise - Bullet etc.. I pefer Speer and Sierra!!
I've never had a problem with either Bullet while reloading for my 7mm-08 Rem & 25-06 Rem. I have excellent loads. for both.

I hope everyone has a very merry X-Mas and a Happy New Year!

TerryT

Before I recently got my 22-250 I was shooting hogs with my 30-06 using 110gr. sierra's and 2 years ago switched to hornady 110gr.

I use 4320 and its been a tack driver. At 100yrds. it rarely shoots over a 3/4" group. The best 3 shot group at long range was 1.75" at 300 yards.

I don't know if this helps since its a .30 but, they do share the case and weight.

I found in my T/C Encore 7mm-08 using IMR 4064 with Speer 130gr. Bullet will clover leaf a 3 shot group a 100 yards (shoots lights out) but I have not tried IMR 4064 in my
25-06 yet. I am going to load up some 100gr Sierra SPBT's just to experiment to what I can come uo with.

IMR 4064 is very fast in the 25/06 for anything but the lightest of bullets.

I have had great luck with R#25, and R#19. R#25 & 19 give increadable speeds with accuracy with the 100's and 115g bullets, walking off and leaving 4350 and 4831 in the dust by 200 fps with both bullet weights.

You could find a load with IMR 4064 with the lighter bullets, but speed would be slow along with higher pressures.

Good luck!

Quote:
Andrew

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Back