.223 5.56 WYLDE CHAMBER?

ADBPOKEY

I THINK I AM A LITTLE CONFUSED?

HERE IT IS AHWILE AGO I ORDERED A MODEL ONE UPPER IN AND THEY GAVE ME THE OPTION OF .223 OR 5.56 IN A DROP DOWN BOX.
I PICKED .223 AND WHEN I TOLD MY COUSIN HE SAID SOMETHING ABOUT ME NOT BEING ABLE TO USE HIS EXCESS BRASS HE'S FBI.

Sorry about the all caps just realized, I'm at work we use all caps in our programs.

So my question is why can I not use that brass?

What is the Wylde chamber that Rock River offers?

Should I have ordered the 5.56 and will it shoot both the 5.56 and .223 brass?

Do I know at all what I am talking about?

any help would be appreciated

Ok this has been gone through a lot,5.56 chambers have a SLIGHTLY looser/longer throat than a .223 chamber. Some people shooting mil surp 5.56 ammunition in a .223 chamber have found signs of excessive pressure. The .223 Wylde chamber is in between the 5.56 and .223 dimensions and so these excess pressure signs are not seen. In general use the .223 and the 5.56 are pretty much interchangable, as long as the 5.56 is on the mild side, and trimmed to exact .223 dimensions as far as case length If you have 5.56 brass, size and trim it carefully and don't get nutz with charges you will not have a problem. But it will have thicker walls so take that into consideration when chargeing thicker walled case = less expansion ratio= more pressure.

Well, 5.56 brass will usually be thicker thus it may cause increased chamber pressures. But since you mentioned using the brass you must be planning to handload for it. Once you resize using a .223 die set, it is then in .223 spec.( on the outside.)Always follow your reloading manuals suggested starting loads! Read and understand the things to look for and watch them closely.
It is never a bad idea to just buy you some new winchester 223 brass either. I use both for both but 223 brass is just made better. I save all my 5.56 brass for range plinking and under my bed ammo stashes.

Quote:
Well, 5.56 brass will usually be thicker thus it may cause increased chamber pressures. But since you mentioned using the brass you must be planning to handload for it. Once you resize using a .223 die set, it is then in .223 spec.( on the outside.)Always follow your reloading manuals suggested starting loads! Read and understand the things to look for and watch them closely.
It is never a bad idea to just buy you some new winchester 223 brass either. I use both for both but 223 brass is just made better. I save all my 5.56 brass for range plinking and under my bed ammo stashes.

Not true... .223 Military brass is the same thickness and same weight as commercial - use the same dies, same bullets, loading data, same everything - the weights have been posted here dozens of times.

There are web sites that explain the differences much better than I could ever type. If you get the 223 chamber I wouldn't have a problem reusing resized military 5.56 brass. I thought it was a 223 Wylde chamber. I talked to a custom guy a few months ago about some of this & I swear he told me there were about 100 different 223/5.56 chambering types. Many very minor differences. I ordered the 223 wylde chamber. Most companies charge for cancelations but maybe you could change it if they have not started yet? I have guns with 5.56 & 223 chambers but on this order I went 223 wylde.

So I guess saami is wrong and all the 5.56 brass is out of it's own spec? And all 6 of my needle calipers is wrong and ammunition manufacturers have faulty scales and tech equipment? Pft........
They have different capacities. There's no arguing with that.Period.

What can't be argued with is that 100s of millions of rounds are shot interchangeably every year. Also, except for throat length, which is no big deal for any ammo that will fit in the magazine, the tolerances for the different chambers are larger than the differences in the chambers.

Just look at all the ammo that is labeled 5.56/223.

And for the 100th time. The Wylde chamber is not a compromise between the 223 and 5.56. The Wylde chamber was designed for shooting heavy, single loaded rounds at long range. It has the longest throat of all the chambers to accomodate the rounds loaded too long to fit the magazine so as to give more powder room.

Jack

Quote:
So I guess saami is wrong and all the 5.56 brass is out of it's own spec? And all 6 of my needle calipers is wrong and ammunition manufacturers have faulty scales and tech equipment? Pft........
They have different capacities. There's no arguing with that.Period.

"They have different capacities. There's no arguing with that.Period."

Yes there is wiseA$$.

You don't know doodley squat about what you are talking about...

http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html

Read a little before you put your mouth in play.

Back