Modified vs Full choke for coyotes??

Rustydog

Here is a question for those who use a shotgun for hunting coyotes.

I now have a Win. Super X Model 1 that came with a 30" Full choke AND a 28" modifies barrel. The 30" full seem way too long for me, but the 28" modified seems about right.

Question? How many of you have used a modified choke and is this OK for coyotes? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif (The gun shoots 2 3/4" ONLY)

I really would appreciate some responses as I have not used a shotgun on coyotes and now see a need to expand my horizons!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rustydog

Use the full choke. You need as many pellets as you can get to hit the dog. Try some #4 Buck with the Full choke and you should be good out to 45 yards. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Here is some good info...

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubb...e=0&fpart=1

When I first began I used Browning A5 and Remington M870 .12 gauges both with 28" modified barrels and 2 ¾” chambers. Copper plated short magnum loads of BBs and No. Four Buck were my mainstay loads and would give me reliable kills at 35 to 40 yards. Sometimes you had to shoot one more than once, occasionally more than twice, and I learned about shot placement, angles, head shots vs. body shots, the importance of patterning, ect. Modern “heavier than lead” loads of B size shot and larger shot up to No. Four Buck through your full choke would be my starting point. With some patterning work and the better loads you should find a load that will give you reliable 40 yard kills.

I have always used a Mod or Imp choke with buckshot, just found out a couple years ago that I have been wrong for over fifty years, guess I need to apologise to all them yotes and Bobcats I have kilt with the wrong choke useing 00 and # 4 Buck all these years, ya think? keep shots with in forty or fifty yards and a good solid hits will result in a dead critter.

I've got two 870's one a 21" turkey gun and the other 26" vent one shoots #4 buck better with the Full tube instaled the other with and extended turkey tube. Buckshot is a wold unto it's own and you need to pattern your barrels to see which is better.

AWS

You deffinantly need to pattern the gun with the exact (brand and shot size) loads your planning to hunt with. I have one gun that puts almost 50% more #4 buck on target with the mod. barrel at 40yrds than it does with the full choke. Tighter choke dosnt always mean tighter patterns especially when it comes to larger shot sizes. Try some different brands aswell. I've had different loads that appear identical except from different companies pattern so different its mind boggleing.

Good Huntin'

Tim

I started off hunting yotes with an 870 mod choke and an Ithaca 37 in Mod choke.

I had a lot of gimpers, rollers, and hoppers at 35 yards using 3" #4 Buck.

When I got an extra 30" full choke for my 870, gimpers, rollers, and hoppers went way down. No doubt that in every Mod choke barrel that I patterned over the years that the Mod choke was more open at 40 yards.

I have a standard full choke 1100 and a 11/87 with a turkey choke barrel.

One thing that you have to remember is that you need to know where your gun "prints" at 40 yards. Many shotguns will shoot off center of point of aim due to shot gun fit, and other reasons.

When you test your shotgun, shoot at least 2 patterns to test your load. Shotgun shells are good about being very good on one shot and sorry on the next shot.

With out doing some proper pattern test you will never know. shotguns are not quite as finicky as a rifle but they do shoot differently from each load to bore to choke combination. If your not willing to do the patterning your guess is as good as the next. I havent shot buckshot to much, but i would have to think that a super tight choke might not be the best idea. Lee

Back