spot and stalk (kinda long)

sac4

Ok I need a little help here. There is a coyote that has been seen in the same three fileds many days in a row now. So here is my problem I have went out there the last three days and he has been there Day one he bust me getting in to position to take the shot. he just trots off.Day two I sneak in to a place I have cover and he is 275yrds away. he must have got my sent and started to trot off I take a off hand shoot at him while he walks off miss just over his back. so I was driving by that same area today and he was out there again but just out of range. So whats up with this coyote??? He shows no intrest in rabbit,bird and pup distress. he will get up and look around for howls, but he shows no intrest in the pray sounds??? what gives??? There has been snow here for the last week we dont get snow for more than a day at time. So this is not normal for us to have snow this long. He is a big male and very red and I want to get him so I need your guys/gals help to get him.

Wait until you have a very high wind. Then stalk in "crosswind", on him. I suspect he's hearing you as well. Step lightly & slowly, like a cat stalking a bird. Stalk in very slow, taking many short pauses. Stay low & use any terrain to conceal yourself as you draw nearer.

BTW, if you shoot crosswind. Allow for bullet, wind drift.

Last edited:
part of the problem is the terrain. The two fields I keep seeing him in are split down the middle by a little creek and then there is one place with cover and thats where I have started from both times. Other then that is just big open fields. the other thing I wonder about is why if he has busted me three time in three days would he still be in the same place??? I also wonder why he dosnt care about the prey sounds it is has been a really cold and snowy week.

I think he is staying in the same place for the same reason you have had a hard time getting him, He can bust you before you can get close enough.

You may not be the only one trying for this one and he may have heard others calling on him and he knows the drill.

Dogs like this can be had but you have to try different tactics.

Does he escape the same way everytime? If so, you might set up on his escape route and have a friend spook him from his normal post. You will have to play the wind or he will bust you again.

Good luck

Ovbiously, if you can over come his sense's; vision, hearing & scenting ability. You'll get right up on him.

If I were you...When I seen him out in that field. I would drive on past without slowing down. Parking atleast 1/2 mile or more away out of sight[would be ideal]. If any or some of the noise you or your vehicle makes]. Was carried parallel & down-wind of the coyote. This scenario would be ideal.

If he lays down, the wind will be at his back[that is your best chance to stalk him]. Stalk in quartering the wind, as the coyote is "facing away from you".

Think of it this way. If he's not looking your way[he's bedded facing the opposite direction], he can not see you.

If you are not coming in "up-wind" of him. He can not scent you.

If you make little to no noise. Then you stand a chance to
get close, for a kill shot. As he can't hear you. Otherwise set your sight long.

As for calls; Some coyotes do not readily or respond at all to calls on perticular days or time of day. A lot of varibles involved when a coyote does respond or doesn't respond.

Last edited:
He has left the same way twice but its half way out in the field where I cant get out to. I think im going to try the friend spooking him and just be ready to shoot him at his escape route. I was also thinking about down loading a cahllange howl for my foxpro and see if that brings him.

ok guys I went out there today I was just going to watch from a distance. I was glassing the field and see some thing move about 400yrds out I get on the movment and it a smaller coyote. I watch it for about 10 min he is just farting around in the field he is slowly working his way farther away. Im thinking yes there are two here now. when out to my right here comes another one but still no sign of the big one. So I watch this one(he is out of range) so he disapers in to the woods on the other side. So I pack up and go finish up my christmass shopping . I get done early still have about hour and half of day light so what the heck Im going to swing by the fields on the way home. I get there sneak out to my spot and what do I see the small one about 300yrds out so I try and get in to a good shooting position and he walks in the brush. So Im mad I get up to go leave and out of the corner of my eye I see the bigger of the two tearing and a mound in the middle of the field. He dose not see me he is to busy with the pile(later I find out itsa dead cow carcas). so I sneek to 211yrd on the range finder. get a good rest try and control my breathing. I wasnt doing a very good job of it. So I put the cross hairs on his back and touch one off DRT. He just hit the ground not a single twitch. It takes me about 25min to get out to him it turns out its a frozzen flood plain for the farms. So I brave the ice (it was only going to be about 12" if I broke through) I get out to him and he is just laying there with his head in the rib cage of the cow and deader then a door nail. By the way this is my first coyote. I will get pics up soon I need to down load them. but I just wanted to thank every one who helped. I hope to get the big red one this weekend.

here he is
firstkill008.jpg

firstkill009.jpg

Sac that is a DANDY! Were in this great state do you rezide.Nice job and look forward to your season. Rick
good looking rifle.Did you paint it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

lowholer Im in the everett area. Yes its a home paint job. getemclose I hope to get the big red one. He was bigger then this guy I got yesterday. There is a smaller one out there to. I need to try and get them before the snow melts. they are easy to spot with all the snow. well see what the weekend brings....

Congrats on the first coyote! You are hooked now.

If you haven't tried it yet, consider calling with rodent squeaks. Get the bulb type of squeaker if you don't have one, stalk in quietly and make mouse noises. Coyotes have amazing hearing and will hear that mouse squeak further than you can believe. The squeak will often work on call shy coyotes.

triggerpress

Good job on getting that one. I would definately suggest a bipod, prone or sitting, it will be a lot easier to make those longer shots. Good luck getting the next one.

Verminator2 I use shooting sticks the fist time I shot I hand no choice to do off hand he was walikg away to my left and I had to clear the sticker bushes i was using for cover. The time I shot the one in the pic I used the sticks just had a little touble holing steady because of coyote fever.

Back