JS512

wvduece

i dug out my old cassette caller a few weeks ago had to order a charger then got it in and had to order new batterys ive had this caller for several years but never called mucj in with it except some crows called one yote in he seen me n left there in a hurry any of you guys still use the 512 or have used it in the past would appreciate some tips on how to use it comes with a big speaker with several feet of cable do i just turn it on n let it run or do i stop n start it at intervivals any suggestions thanks jb

maybe you guys can answer this question will i be better off to seperate the speaker from the caller im not shure how much cable is with the speaker that way when i turn the caller on i wont be out in the open i can set the speaker n stretch the cable behind some blind then set down n then turn it on jb

I use to have that caller myself, I think it would be best to separate the speaker from the unit itself. I really like the remote callers because getting the sound away from you is important.

Obviously one of the benefits most electronic callers offer is they allow you to separte yourself from the source of the sound (if you detach the speaker or have a remote).

Unwinding speaker cord to place the speaker does increase your chance at spooking a nearby critter, however, getting the sound away from you is a big help. Right now, there is an older Johnny Stewart RC-2 out on Ebay if you are looking for a remote for your 512. They (RC2) along with the latest RC3 were not the most reliable units long term for many of them would just die after working perfectly for months or years. Speaking with Jesse (I believe that was his name) at the old JS service center in TX, he stated just do not try and install the remote battery backwards, for it the connectors were to come into contact backwards, they had a tendency to fry the unit. The Western River remote that APC sells will work for the 512 and they are reliable but also pricey for a new one.

I recently purchased a brand new in the box MS512 along with a new RC3 remote that a rural sports shop had sitting on its shelves for years just to collect for old time sake. My old 512 spent many years and seasons out in the field. It was the caller to have during the early 90's. I won't use my new one for it is quite heavy compare to the new callers out now days, but it is cool unit to have on display in my rec room.

If you can eventually get a remote, all the more power to you. Otherwise, I would recommend getting the speaker out away from you if you can. Enjoy the caller. They are a great durable unit.

Quote:
thanks for the info CT70 would i have to do anything to my 512 to get the RC2 or RC3 to work on my unit

EDITED: Yes, the 512 needs the remote accessory plug added into it. The old JS service center can easily install one for you. They did mine for about $35 and return shipping about a year ago. It took about 2 weeks from the time I shipped it out to when I got it back - pretty quick.

**** UPDATE **** Jesse Head, guru from the old JS Service Center - He is the Plant Manager for Red Rock Outdoor Gear who now makes an identical caller to the 512's under the Red Rock label. His phone number is 254-662-2433. Contact him and he can get you set up.

All of the 512 compatible remotes consist of 2 pieces (a receiver with an antenna and a remote with an antenna). The JS RC2 or RC3 receivers adhere to the side of the 512 using 2 way tape. The WR receiver slides into the speaker slot on top of the 512. Both brands have wires that plug into the 512 while the 512 speaker wire plugs into the receiver. The JS remote is more user friendly when wearing gloves due to its size. The WR remote is pretty small with a flimsy antenna but like I said before, it is a very reliable unit. The WR remote has a decoy button on the remote that will activate the WR decoy (separate accessory also available from APC)that attaches to the receiver that is attached to the 512. In the end, you have the remote receiver, decoy and caller all in one attached unit - pretty nice. I like the JS remotes better, but I believe all have been discontinued due to quality issues. If you look around, you maybe able to come across a new one as I recently did. As I said, there is a used RC2 remote on Ebay at the moment currently at $61 (the last I seen). If you are serious about a remote, give a serious consideration to the WR one. Though the remote is small and the antennas are flimsy, it is reliable for the long haul. They are currently $139.95 at allpredatorcalls.com - a great sponsor of this website. I pasted some info on this remote below from their website.

Keep us posted on what direction you head or if you have any further questions.

Western Rivers - Remote Control for Cassette Caller (for various models) # FD-678
New remote control for electronic cassette game calls is just what you've been waiting for. It lets you sit back under cover an operate your game call at the most opportune time for each situation. The unit will power on/off the caller as well as adjust the volume up and down. The remote also has the capability to control the power to the Western Rivers® Tru-Motion Attachment so you can turn it on and off. Attaches to all Western Rivers® electronic cassette game calls and works with most other brands of cassette callers (Johnny Stewart 612 series, Cabelas, Knight & Hale, etc) on today's market.

thanks again ct i have a red rock brochure here that js sent me when i ordered new charger i think ill give red rock a call n see if they might update my unit then i can buy their remote if not ill send it to js jb

Back