two stage trigger for hunting?

wheel10

I have heard good things about the RRA 2 stage trigger in a bench shooter but how about a hunting rifle? I would think I would prefer the single stag but have never used a two stage. Is it much like savage's accutrigger? thanks. Mike

no experience with the accu trigger but i love my rra 2 stage. i draw up the first stage when ther coming and "break" the wall when they stop. i like bein able to draw it up to the wall and know where im at in the trigger sequence.

i have a tuned rra 2 stage and i love it however mine might be a little light for hunting the winter wearing gloves if i have to but the factory one is very nice as well Ron

I like my bush master predator with its two stage. I have read some reports about them going out of adjustment but I have not had a problem with mine.

Quote:
I have heard good things about the RRA 2 stage trigger in a bench shooter but how about a hunting rifle? I would think I would prefer the single stag but have never used a two stage. Is it much like savage's accutrigger? thanks. Mike

Better than any other stock AR trigger I have tried, but not nearly as good as a Timney. I have two RRA two-stage match triggers and both break around five pounds, which I can live with for hunting, but both have a wee bit of creep before the second stage breaks which drives me crazy, but isn't that big of a deal for hunting.

For the price they aren't too bad, or are pretty good if you want to be positive. I have Timneys on a mostly Stag 5.56/.223 and one will go on an Alexander 6.5 Grendel, hopefully in the next two weeks. I also have an RAA two-stage on a Dan Carey .17 Rem upper and haven't decided what will go on top of the other RRA two-stage lower yet. My feeling is that it doesn't matter how good the rest of the rifle is if the trigger sucks, but this just my opinion. Yes, they are similar to Accutrigger, but not as good (my opinion again). I like a single-stage trigger also, but you will adjust to a two-stage very fast.

Woo

Last edited:
I have one in my 16" barrel carbine AR for a calling close range gun, I have one in my .458 Socom, I have one in my 24" varminter, and I have one in my 18" .204 AR... Needless to say I LIKE THEM!!!!!!!

IMHO the accutrigger is a gimmicky pos, and so if you like it perhaps my advice is not the best to follow. I like light triggers (most of my bolts are set at 2# and I'd go lighter if it wasn't border line unsafe for a hunting rifle. That being said I LOVE the AR 2 stage because they can be so light and still safe. My favorite is Gissele DMR. It is pricey at $280, but when you pull the trigger and it breaks clean at 1lbs 2oz you know where your money went.

Yes, the 2-stage RRA trigger take-up is very similar to an accutrigger's take-up, just doesn't have the nice low trigger pull weight like an accutrigger though. Just switched out two stock AR triggers with RRA 2-stage NM triggers, night and day difference.

It seems there is another night and day difference between the RRA 2-stage and the $300 triggers available for AR's (CMC/GDMR/American Trigger/JPFCG/etc).

I do like the 2-stage for hunting so far! Much better than the factory triggers!

I have both single and two stage triggers in my ARs... For action competitions, hunting, and glove use, I prefer the two stage triggers, even though it is not set as light as my single stages...My RR is just a little heavier than my Savage Accu-Trigger and it's at 1.5#

My single stages are at the 1-1.5# and used for bench shooting and Prairie Dogs.

They are a great trigger and very easy to tune. If you lighten the trigger spring you will adjust the overall pull weight, if you lighten the disconnecter
spring you will lighten the second stage. Or you can increase the first stage and lighten the second and keep your pull weight the same. You can safely
take off material above the ledge on the face of the disconnecter and rid the
trigger of any creep on the second stage. Just study it installed in the lower
and you will understand how it works. The trigger pull running the hammer
into the face of the disconnecter is what gives you the feeling of a second
stage. In reality it is just adding resistance before the trigger breaks. If I
remember correctly you use a bolt hold open spring to replace the disconnecter
spring for a lighter second stage.

Quote:
IMHO the accutrigger is a gimmicky pos, and so if you like it perhaps my advice is not the best to follow

Allow me to retort /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The accutrigger is no gimmick. The middle "trigger" blocks the sear, and gun can't fire without it depressed. Very Safe.

It has a 2 stage feel only better. You can feel the middle "trigger" on take up, and when you contact the proper trigger, you get an extra "feel" if you will, even with gloves. Very crisp, and long lasting, with no change in feel, and I've got about 800 rounds on mine. Easy to adjust.

For hunting Accu trigger and 2 stage are great, as I take up the 1st stage when tracking or settling in on game, and just a light squeeze fires the gun. Easy to get used to.

You might not like an Accu trigger or 2 stage, but they work well on the bench, and more importantly in the field.

Not a gimmick ........

I'm running the Jewell 2-stage, which allows you to adjust both the first and second stage weight. It's great for hunting, as I can adjust it for "feel" while wearing gloves and still get a crisp trigger break. If I want to reduce the first stage weight, it's a 2 minute adjustment, and you don't have to do anything but hinge the upper and set the spring position.
But some people don't like the 2-stage takeup, which I can understand. I'm concerned, with gloves, that I could have an accidental discharge with a light one-stage trigger.

No AccuTrigger experience here. My Savage has a Timney (which I love). 2 of my 3 AR's have the RRA (the 3rd will get it when funds allow) so I really like the 2 stage as well.

I hated my 2 stage trigger on my AR I just couldnt get used to that take up. I could shoot it fine just wasnt what I would have wanted if given a choice. I should have put in a single stage but never got around to it.

Being used to a nice crisp trigger, it took me a while to warm up to the accutrigger and the 2-stage AR triggers. Now, I have no problem using either. I still PREFER a crisp single stage but the Savage accutrigger is a very safe trigger.

Nothing bad to say about a good 2 stage trigger, but all of my ARs have the same 3lb single stage trigger. And my bolt guns triggers are set pretty darn close to 3lbs also. I like the consistent and familiar "feel" when shooting different sticks...

As for gloves, I can't shoot with heavy gloves on and don't know how anyone else can. Breaking a clean trigger is all about the position and feel of your finger tip on it. And jamming a fat gloved finger that hardly fits inside the guard ain't exactly the safest thing to do...

If its REALLY cold, I'll wear wool mittens over my light gloves and/or keep my trigger hand in my pocket until it's time to deliver the smackdown.

Quote:
And jamming a fat gloved finger that hardly fits inside the guard ain't exactly the safest thing to do...

They're light camo gloves, and I went with the winter trigger guard to solve problem #2. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I get an okay feel, just not like minus gloves. I can feel the end of the first stage takeup, but muzzle control is always paramount when you're in the field. That's really all the "safety" you've got.

Oh, and my fingers aren't "fat", thank you very much!

(I got that one from the wife). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Gotcha. Winter trigger guards are a necessity, even in warm climates, IMHO...

I was commenting more about those "Michellin man" lookin' heavy gloves that are more suited for snow mobiling. Got no place operating a firearm with those heavy mitts on!

I like Cabelas uninsulated Camoskinz gloves or Nomex flight gloves for shooting in the cold...

I have a Jewell trigger on my AR-15 6.8, during the summer I have it set about as light as I can go because I am at the range alot with it. When deer season is coming up I set it heavier. When I touched it off this year on a 9 point I wasnt thinkin about trigger pull.

Back