Savage Model 10 .243

MtnWolf

Just picked up a Savage Model 10 in .243 (with accutrigger) that is essentially new. Any issues I should be aware of? How do they typically shoot? It has a Bushnell Sportview scope mounted (3X9) that will get changed out eventually.

I have a left handed model 10 in .223 and it's a shootin fool. Mine is pre-Accutriger so I put in a Timney and glass bedded it. I'll bet yours is a shooter also, great choice!

I bought one of these in .243 for my wife and daughter to shoot there deer with this year. Came up with a load using Varget and 95grn Nosler partitions that got sub moa at 200yds. I was so dang happy that i used it all season my self. Great little gun shoots like a dream. Two White tail bucks one WT doe Three Mule does two yotes and a fox so far.
A little heavy for carrying around all day but not that bad.
Im just working on a load using the .62grn Berger's for coyote's i got a bunch loaded i just need a break in the weather to test them. I like this gun so much that i may buy the same thing in .204 and sell my CZ .204.
Good luck with it and i hope it shoots as well as ours does.

Quote:
Just picked up a Savage Model 10 in .243 (with accutrigger) that is essentially new. Any issues I should be aware of? How do they typically shoot? It has a Bushnell Sportview scope mounted (3X9) that will get changed out eventually.

The only issue I had with mine, which is what I have with every Savage with the "tupperware" stock is that it needs a bit of stiffening, especially if you put a bipod on it. I cut out the baffles in the forend, undercut the sides a bit in a few places and put some carbon glass arrow shafting in.

As part of the glass bedding process, I roughed up the action recess in the stock and drilled some angles holes into which the epoxy could flow and provide a mechanical retention, since the plastic doesn't hold well to the epoxy. I put two layers of duct tape on the bottom half of the barrel, to provide a spacer. I then poured the liquid Accraglass into the forend, a bit on the action section of the stock and lightly clamped everything together.

Of course you have to coat everything with release agent and fill any voids with clay, to keep epoxy from sticking where you don't want it to stick.

It's not a perfect solution because of the nature of the plastic used to make the stock, but it's much stiffer now.

Thanks for the info guys. Had been using model 77/mkII in 223 (target - bull barrel) but its rather heavy unless a bipod is used. Wanted something a little lighter and found this at a good price.

I also have one in .243 w/nikon buckmaster 3x9x40. I am very impressed with this gun. It shoots 3/4 moa w/100gr or 70gn. No issues yet.

My kids gave me one in 270 WSm a few years back it is pre accutrigger. The only issues I have had is with the crap stock shooting loose a couple times, I know when this is happening because it goes from 1/2" at 100 Yards to abot 2&1/2 " Other than that it is a great shooter.

Back