Turf Wars

Quote:
Maybe because I live in Idaho and have tons of area to hunt I would never hold back in bringing someone new into the sport so they too can enjoy it as much as I do, because I don't think anyone can say they are a sole self taught hunter.

As to hold back hunting techniques and “there super special spots” to someone, that’s nonsense

...oh lord, kumbaya

(just had to throw that in!)

Quote:
yea maybe but those are his spots and I wont shoot them without him. If you take me to your spots, I figure its yours after the hunt too.

Boy do I wish I had you for a hunting buddy.

I took one of my "friends" out with me last year on privately-owned land that I had gotten permission for, that I had scouted coyotes for, and that I have helped the landowner with fence repairs, etc on. The next thing I know he's talking about calling that spot because it's "close to his house."

I will never take him calling again.

Maybe it's just me but I thought that when you have a hunting buddy, part of the time you call on land you have obtained permission for and part of the time you call on land that he/she has obtained permission on, and you never call on the other buddy's spots without him/her there. But maybe that's just me.

Here's another scenario I ran into just tonight. We just got about 1 inch of snow here in the Champaign, Illinois area so I called a landowner where I have hunted coyotes for the last 4 years to make sure it was still okay to hunt it. Apparently, he said he has leased the land to some bowhunters and the bowhunters want exclusive hunting rights over the property. I told him I understood and proposed that all of my calling take place after dark when the bowhunters aren't hunting, and he agreed.

I haven't talked to the lease hunters yet but it frustrates me that someone can throw money at a landowner and "lock it up" as their own. It kindof burns me that I might have to ask the lease hunters for permission to hunt on land that they don't own.

Have any of you ever run into the lease hunter scenario? I'm interested in points of view from both sides of the issue.

Good hunting,

another way to look at it is..... Who took you under their wings and showed you? If you were born with a Predator call in your mouth thats great@! Some of us actually had to ask for help...I thank the forums for showing me what to do and to call in Coyotes. Some are luckier !

Got to agree with you Ornery! I figure my helping another is just pay-back for those that helped me. Although I don't try to steal anothers spot, I don't have a problem showing someone where I like to hunt. Guess it is my way to promote the sport and maybe, just maybe, that person won't turn into a gun hating liberal.

Also, since I am older and not able to get around like some of you younger people, I use a quad to get in and out of my hunting areas. I don't race up and down trails, but I do you use it.

Quote:
A thread on PM is not official until Kodiak61 declares it to be CRAP! I'll bet he's hung that moniker on about 10 posts in the past 30 days.

Finally, this thread is LEGIT! :>)

First I thank you for recognizing my brilliance.

Second, I just searched my previous posts and cant find one where I have proclaimed anything to be crap in the last 3 months. I then grew bored and stopped looking longer back. Maybe we have talked in person? I do proclaim many things to be crap. Maybe its the plumber in me, I just call it as I see it.

I'm probably taking that as too literal. I proclaim taking things read on the internet too literal as crap. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As for my turf, here is the legal description of my hunting zone:

Section 1. The boundaries of the State of Andrewzona shall be as follows, namely: Beginning at a point on the Colorado River twenty English miles below the junction of the Gila and Colorado Rivers, as fixed by the Gadsden Treaty between the United States and Mexico, being in latitude thirty-two degrees, twenty-nine minutes, forty-four and forty-five one- hundredths seconds north and longitude one hundred fourteen degrees, forty-eight minutes, forty-four and fifty-three one -hundredths seconds west of Greenwich; thence along and with the international boundary line between the United States and Mexico in a southeastern direction to Monument Number 127 on said boundary line in latitude thirty-one degrees, twenty minutes north; thence east along and with said parallel of latitude, continuing on said boundary line to an intersection with the meridian of longitude one hundred nine degrees, two minutes, fifty-nine and twenty-five one-hundredths seconds west, being identical with the southwestern corner of New Mexico; thence north along and with said meridian of longitude and the west boundary of New Mexico to an intersection with the parallel of latitude thirty-seven degrees north, being the common corner of Colorado, Utah, Andrewzona, and New Mexico; thence west along and with said parallel of latitude and the south boundary of Utah to an intersection with the meridian of longitude one hundred fourteen degrees, two minutes, fifty-nine and twenty-five one-hundredths seconds west, being on the east boundary line of the State of Nevada; thence south along and with said meridian of longitude and the east boundary of said State of Nevada, to the center of the Colorado River; thence down the mid-channel of said Colorado River in a southern direction along and with the east boundaries of Nevada, California, and the Mexican Territory of Lower California, successively, to the place of beginning.

Let there be no mistake. The penalties are severe!

Long live Andrewzona! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I cant wait till the Company I work for sends me back to AZ to the CAT proving grounds... Then I can show Em ! that i prolly dont hunt any better down there... Dern.. that sucks.. lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Quote:
I have heard that guy carries much weaponry and is as accurate as all get out and does not take well to intruders.

Not only that, he is quite large, audaciously inked, and in general, quite imposing. If encountered in the field it would be best to sit quietly and hope he passes by. By no means should you make direct eye contact, make any sudden moves, or run, as that will only trigger a response that will be, shall I say, unsavory. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Andrew..............I dont know what to say /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I cant believe you typed all of that, and then I actually sat there reading it trying to picture your "turf".

Just baitin' ya, Andrew :>) I might of had you confused with Hyperwrx, Steve Garrett or some other confused cubicle cowboy! Just kidding Dudes! Awhile back, someone was proclaiming every other post on PM to be crap. Maybe it was you, maybe not.

Do you have a recorded deed plus a plat drawn up for "Andrewzona"? Sheetz, just read your lengthy legal description. I'm a recovering land surveyor, you did pretty good!

Due to Mr A's legal description, I just learned I have been hunting on private ground all these years. I now fear for my life as my posts are record and proof that I have been hunting illegally. If some of you were smart, you'd fess up too.

Anyone want to buy some AR's, a shotgun, some calls, and wicked Volquartsen custom 204? I am unwilling to move out of Arizona, uh hem "Andrewzona," so I must give up my weapons and tools else face the wrath of Mr A. At least I am current on my taxes.

Accepting bids as we speak...

(Isn't there a knitting club for men somewhere in this state I can join? I need a new hobby. Reply off list so as not to consume bandwidth.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CoyoteSniperFJ, you need to turn yourself in to the nearest Andrewzona Game warden! Better to go in on your own accord then to have 'the man' come git ya

The first time I went hunting with him I thought he was a lil ruff looking, but I didnt want to be quick to judge.

BUT...then our hunt started (WAIT I wouldnt call it hunting, we made one stand!?) Then he took me up in the middle of the high desert away from all civilization, two hours after dark and got us "lost" in the middle of a rain storm that washed out the road!

It wouldnt of been so bad if he didnt keep talking about all these creepy things that happen to people in the desert at night.

I honestly didnt think I was going to make it home that night.

I'm still forcing myself to try and trust this guy.

JK...you're a good guy andrew. but that was a scary first impression for a lil guy like me.

Quote:
The first time I went hunting with him I thought he was a lil ruff looking, but I didnt want to be quick to judge.

BUT...then our hunt started (WAIT I wouldnt call it hunting, we made one stand!?) Then he took me up in the middle of the high desert away from all civilization, two hours after dark and got us "lost" in the middle of a rain storm that washed out the road!

It wouldnt of been so bad if he didnt keep talking about all these creepy things that happen to people in the desert at night.

I honestly didnt think I was going to make it home that night.

I'm still forcing myself to try and trust this guy.

JK...you're a good guy andrew. but that was a scary first impression for a lil guy like me.

That was a funny night. I remember telling Scott about and saying "He didnt talk allot, I think he thought I was taking him out to the middle of nowhere to rape him".

LOLOLOL

I found that Legal Description of "Andrewzona" on az.gov its the actual legal boundary description for Arizona.

Glad you guys have a good sense of humor.

I now proclaim Andrewzona open to the masses. You have pleased the Bear.

Well I dont take any new callers, I dont take any old callers , there are Five guys i will sit a stand with ,One is my 9 year old son . some you have heard of some you have not ,Some of The best are the ones you have not , some of the best callers in the U.S. have never visited a internet web site , and never will. One of them in a conversation one night said Randy Anderson? ( that guy hasnt killed enough coyotes to matter) I had to laugh because the numbers this Gentelman ( and he really is) has harvested would amaze most of you .The only reason i mentioned this is because these are my Mentors without them I wouldnt know squat about calling And I owe them a great deal .They took me out and taught me the ropes, And I wouldnt ever think about setting foot on a single stand that they have shared with me, Thats the way its supposed to be, And shouldnt even need to be said .

This is what really opened my eyes , I took two guys on a guided hunt a few years ago , and i always travel at o dark thirty , by the time we get to where we are going they have no idea where they are Right? well little did i know until a few weeks later when a rancher that allows only me or someone with me to hunt anything on his 60,000 acre ranch calls me and said Jerry what the BEEP are you doing giving other people permission to hunt on my ground without you ? I said WHAT??? He starts telling me about these two fellows from the Seattle area that told him I had given them permission to hunt his ground , I said call the sherriff . He did , They told the sherriff that when they went hunting with me they had a GPS in a coat pocket and had logged all the stands we had made. The Rancher pressed charges because I insisted so strongly about it, And these fools lost gear and privileges for a year and a healty fine . Since then I hunt with a select few, and that will NEVER change . no more guided hunts and no more mr. nice guy . It really ticks me off that I feel that way but after getting burned like that I cannot bring myself to feel any diffrent .I have a friend here in Wash state ( one of the ones mentioned ) and he has had the same thing done to him by callers met on The Internet( read between the lines) . We tried to help some guys out and it turned into a butt burner , Never again .

Thats why I keep all of my "honey holes" a secret.Its not too hard cause I dont have many. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
There is alot of public land where I live and it gets hit really hard.From November clear through the end of March and then again in the Spring when turkey season starts.If your lucky enough to see a coyote on that land its usually hauling butt the other way as fast as it can.The only critters dumb enough to let you step out of your truck without running is a porcupine or armadillo.But those are fun to shoot too so its not so bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

We have 5-6 other callers in my area. We have never tripped over one when we have been calling either. Usually we check to see if anyones driven that area recently and then decide whether to hunt based on past activity. Since I am a director with the county ADMB I have the option of knowing WHERE the Fed. trappers have been recently - making a decision to hunt and where a little easier. As to taking 'others'? My wife is partner #1 and two neighbors are #2 and #3. These are not included in the 5-6 above. Both my neighbors are great to hunt with, and, yes, I trained them. Do they get into spots my wife and I like? yes, occassionally. Do we get into spots they have been to? Yes, occassionally. We do not see it as competition, rather, we usually hunt it together two at a time. Do we interact with those other 5-6 callers? Not a chance. Their hunting approach doesn't even come close to our 'get-out-and-walk' 1/4 to 1 mile before setting up. JCL is right; there are plenty of coyotes and plenty of ground to cover IF your willing to shanks mare it to get there......

The best bet is to just take them out so early and so far from teh house they will not find it on thier own. Heck I like going to the point where even I am not sure where exactly we are. IN all seriousness. I am lucky enough to have more stands and areas thatn I could possible hunt in a probably 3 years. So if there are a few who show up so be it. I do not like people who tag along then hunt my same stands. That drives me nuts. But I gues I just have to find new ones in different places. Til they screwed up enough times on the stand to abandon it.

I certainly understand not wanting to get burned again by some rotten people, but what about people like myself that need someone willing to take them out for the first time? I am 42 and this is all new to me but I am interested and could use the help. I have asked a few and got a lot of questions that were intelligent (have you taken a hunter's safety class, have you called previously, etc), but I sensed an overall resistance to bringing anyone new along even once. I was willing to go unarmed, especially since I don't currently have the fire-power available for coyotes anyway.

There is a balance to be made between encouraging more interest in the sport and protecting it. If you decide to be over-protective, it can endanger the sport for everyone eventually. The great majority of the generation behind me at best is happy sitting around at home and playing X-Box, and at worst like to tear up the country-side with their ATVs, and hunters of all types be damned. Without new blood in hunting, where will the hunter's rights go? Where is the next generation of hunters coming from. Sure, all of you are teaching your kids, but wouldn't it be helpful to encourage a newbie like me with no hunting experience, who in turn will show her kids someday?

O.K., a bit off-topic, but I go through the same thing in my "first" hobby which is showing horses. Some of the very established trainers don't want to teach the rest of us due to competition, they really don't want new people in the industry. But if we don't educate people and let them know what a great sport it is, we will eventually be out-numbered by the PETA types that will lobby to have the whole thing banned.

Sorry for the long post (I should just make that my signature, it would save time), but just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Interesting on the Turf wars. Sounds like you boys in Southern Arizona have it pretty rough.

I'm pretty sure there are no less than a BAZILLION predator hunters running around Southern California, much like Southern Arizona.

I can name a bunch of folks that hunt the same exact areas that I do, but yet I have never seen a single other predator hunter while out hunting in Southern California or SE Arizona.

Even with all the callers out in the same areas, it's obvious we all still manage to call and kill more than our fair share of coyotes.

No need for war around these parts.

Levi, I would rethink that whole hunting with Andrew thing again because I have heard him talk about how good looking you are and about his thought on raping you about 5 different times now (the man has plans). Andrew if you show or tell people were we keep going then there wont be any more places for me to trip and fall over the fences because they will just have trails and there goes your fun for the hunt. But I hear you and jay are going hunting this weekend good luck. Me and Scott are going Saturday so do you think you guys are going to beat us? just kidding. But I guess I have to be nice so I can get the ok from the president of Andrewland.

Back