calling with a shotgun?

akhunter22

I have never shot coyotes with a shotgun and i just found out that there is an area a quarter mile from my house that is shotgun legal.
i know a lot of you guys shoot them with shotguns. please give me some pointers. whats a good range? what shells? size shot? etc.
thanks in advance

I have only killed one coyote with a shot gun and it was at about 35 yards with #4 buck. Worked great!

Coyote92708003.jpg

I don't hold high. You have to take your scattergun to the patterning board to see what will work best for you. Most guys say that a highly constricted tube doesn't work well with larger shot. I tried my xtra full turkey choke and got some poor results. With a regular full choke I achieved a better pattern, modified didn't work so great either. Every gun is different. I hear some guys saying they are dropping coyote at 75 yards + with shotguns, I simply don't see that happening consistantly, 45 yards is max for me.

It is hard to get those high pitch screaming sounds with a 12 but not too bad with a 410. If you sit on a cactus those high notes come easier. So if you call with a 12 gauge purse yuor lips more and think about your first wife.
Carl

Quote:
It is hard to get those high pitch screaming sounds with a 12 but not too bad with a 410. If you sit on a cactus those high notes come easier. So if you call with a 12 gauge purse yuor lips more and think about your first wife.
Carl

You owe me a keyboard for that one.

I go with 10 gauge BB's in High Density. I feel good out to fifty yards. Some guys will tell you that sixty or even seventy yards are possible. I just don't buy it. I like my coyotes to fall dead when I shoot them.

12 gauge full/ultrafull choke with 3/3.5 in #4 buck should do lots of good out to 50 yards. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I shot a gray fox the other eve. with #4 buck shot out of my turkey slayer at 15 yards. Worked great. I would shoot out to 50 yards.

Quote:
I have never shot coyotes with a shotgun and i just found out that there is an area a quarter mile from my house that is shotgun legal.
i know a lot of you guys shoot them with shotguns. please give me some pointers. whats a good range? what shells? size shot? etc.
thanks in advance

Here ya go, tons of info....

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubb...e=0&fpart=1

I hunt shotgun almost exclusively. I use Dead Coyote or 4 buck depending on regulations in my state. I shoot full choke that is approved for steel shot(I don't like to use DC for kill shots if necessary).

You need to go out and pattern your gun to see what works best in it. Every gun shoots differently just as every shell will produce a different pattern. Just look for something that will give you at least 10 pellets on a paper plate at 40 yards. That is a starting point, it can be fine tuned from there.

There is no need to hold high out to 70 yards or even 100. You will need to lead a tad when one runs off, just as you would with a bird.

I shoot out to 70 yards at times. I don't recommend it unless you are fast enough to chase down a crippled coyote. Remember that most shots will be less than 30 yards.

Shotgunning for coyotes can be fun. But be aware that you will almost always have to shoot them again unless you hit them with a head shot. It's not for the faint of heart.

Quote:
I hunt shotgun almost exclusively. I use Dead Coyote or 4 buck depending on regulations in my state. I shoot full choke that is approved for steel shot(I don't like to use DC for kill shots if necessary).

You need to go out and pattern your gun to see what works best in it. Every gun shoots differently just as every shell will produce a different pattern. Just look for something that will give you at least 10 pellets on a paper plate at 40 yards. That is a starting point, it can be fine tuned from there.

There is no need to hold high out to 70 yards or even 100. You will need to lead a tad when one runs off, just as you would with a bird.

I shoot out to 70 yards at times. I don't recommend it unless you are fast enough to chase down a crippled coyote. Remember that most shots will be less than 30 yards.

Shotgunning for coyotes can be fun. But be aware that you will almost always have to shoot them again unless you hit them with a head shot. It's not for the faint of heart.

+1

/thread

we get yotes every year at 70+ yrds with #4s but you wont drop them with one shot at that range. if we dident run them with dogs we probably wouldent shoot that far but the dogs find them if they get away.

Quote:
thanks in advance

Lotta good reading in above linked post- try a 20 or 12 guage, full, xtra full types of choke, shoot #2' thru #4Buck and see what does best for you in your gun at the ranges you expect to shoot.
I normally shoot dead coyote thru a Carlsons DC choke tube in the 835 and #2's or BB thru a full choke in the 500. Both kill well enough to about 50yrds or so-

Good hunting

Back