Which rifle: X-Bolt or Model 7?

Caligater

Well, I thought I had my mind made up on a lightweight pack rifle for varmints and medium game, but I am back to these two (cal. .243 Win):

Remington Model 7 Predator
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_seven/model_seven_predator.asp

Browning X-Bolt Composite Stalker
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog...e_id=201#center

The Browning is lighter, which is one of my main criteria, but I am guessing the Remington will be more accurate. I love the 60* bolt throw of the Browning, but the Remington is also dipped in Mossy Oak Brush already and is about $50 cheaper. From what I hear, the triggers are comparable on both.

Which would you choose?

Tikka, have one it 243 myself light and a great trigger and smooth bolt, the stock will better than the remmy, not sure about the browning.

I don't think your going to have an accuracy issue with either one. Both deliver very acceptable hunting accuracy. Just get the one with the features you like best.

Quote:
Quote:
or kimber montana......

Those are nice, but WAY more than I can spend.

You did say liteweight pack rifle.......
Few lighter, My 260 is 6 lbs even scoped.

You can cry now(price), or cry later (choice)........

I would get the Browning hands down. Those new X-bolts are really a good value and nice and light. The action on the Browning blows the Remington out of the water.

Browning will likely be more accurate. It's got a better trigger, and is bedded and free floated and has a much better (meaning stiffer) stock. It has a cool duratouch coating too. I love my a-bolt hunter 25 wssm, I've got everything i've fed it to shoot .75" at 100, without a lot of load tailoring. Love the magazine on the x-bolt too, just pops right into your hand.

I have looked at the Tikkas, and in fact it was the first one on my list judging from paper, but once I saw it in person I was not very impressed. I am sure it is a fine rifle, just not what I was looking for.

Thanks for all the replies.

I am really enjoying my Model 7 in .204

It's light, and accurate! The trigger did need some work, it was real heavy from Remington. I have it set at 2.5lbs now and that's where I like it.

I recently got an X-Bolt as well, but in .300WSM. Havn't shot it yet...

My Model 7 is my go-to gun.

Thanks for everyone's input, I am going to order the Browning some time this week (my Dad has his FFL). I will post some pics once it comes in!

GC,,,,, One of the mods here,,,,,,,,recently got a Model 7 Pred. in 243 He's killed just about one of everything Mo. has to offer with it and has nothing but good to say about the gun.

But since your mind is made up I'll just tell you that my Browning Micro Hunter in 243 is about as lite and accurate as any rifle I own. I love it.

I think you've made a good choice, but either one would probably serve you well.

Good Luck

Back