How Long Shooting Pred's With AR's Been Fashionable?

iSnipe

Got to thinking how common now using AR's are for shooting predators. How long has it been common-place for people to use AR's for predators? I'm assuming it slowly became fashionable, but when do you think it started? Or did it come on all of a sudden?

I'm a bolt-action guy myself, but seeing AR's used is cool. (I don't need second shots though.
grin.gif
)

iSnipe

ARs have been used against "predators" since about 1964... Only then most of them (predators) were on two legs.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif... and spent a lot of time in tunnels in Viet Nam...

But in reality, I think the actual explosion came withing the last 3-4 years.. The '94 AWB expired in '04 and more became available, lots of gunsmiths started filling orders with really accurate rifles, and the big companies jumped on the band wagon.....Also, forums like this one started discussing the practice more..

I never once considered owning an AR in over 30 years of hunting. Then I really got into coyote hunting and noticed that the AR's had improved greatly in accuracy and some have excellent triggers. I went from zero interest to buying an RRA Predator Pursuit. If the accuracy and good triggers had never improved I would have never considered an AR, but right now they just make a whole lot of sense. Especially when it comes to needing that quick second or third shot.

I started taking my Dad's Olympic Arms hunting for crows and coyotes back in college in the late 90s - mostly because it is just so fun to shoot, but it made a great varmint gun due to the lightning fast follow up shots.

I kinda got the flavor for them after watching a YouTube video of a guy dumping a coyote in a little stream after smoking him just about point blank. Loved it!

iSnipe

When I found a five round magazine I stuck it in my AR, with Eotech on top and am ready to go! Legal on private lands in Florida, too.

Isinipe, some of us need more than one shot, or two, or three, or four! Show off! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I can't remember a whole lot of people in my Colorado neck of the woods that were using AR in the late 80's. But there were a few. In my opinion, I think the last 5 years has enjoyed a large spike in the sales of these units and I do think that predator users and forums like PM have made the increased sales possible.

As a guy who went from a Savage 250.3000 in the beginning to a Mini14 to a Weatherby Varminter to my current bulk of AR's and other semi autos, I can't live w/o em.

I use bolts and autos for calling. I've been using ARs for calling since the mid 80s and started building versions specifically for hunting shortly after. I remember and still use a couple of the first flat top models that were simply an A2 with the handle chopped and a Weaver rail bolted on where the handle was. As good as they are for the task there isn't any doubt guys were using them much earlier. As far as becoming "fashionable", some less knowing would claim they still aren't. lol! I'd say they became more popular for calling in the mid 90s. At least as far as internet callers go.

When I first started frequenting the pred boards I remember only a couple guys that used ARs for calling. But then, just as now, the boards only represented a fraction of the callers out there. Back then usually even the mention of using an AR for calling brought criticism from the majority of members. The goal then and now is to take the animal with one shot. Since a good AR is at least as accurate or more than a bolt, it is a good choice for calling and comes in handy when multiples show or the rare instance a second shot is needed. Most guys are pretty accepting of ARs now and don't make the uneducated "spray and pray" comments they used to make.

Then there are those still proclaiming it's their way or the highway, suffering from a bad case of Zumboitis. Usually it's the same guys that whine about use of e-calls and were still in pampers when a large percentage of guys were calling. lol!

Just like with calling, many of us have been using them long before the "movie stars" took up the habit. Many callers have no desire to ever use one and I understand and respect that decision. However as much as I love using bolts in addition to ARs, I feel anybody that can't admit that ARs are a very effective calling rifle is in a serious state of denial. I'd never criticize anyone for doing so. When I see someone do it, they appear very short sighted.

Good hunting

I had a little early experience with AR type rifles that were not scoped. I was not impressed with the accuracy. A friend would pack one around in walks in the woods and shoot up the country side, and that wasn't for me. As I became more educated about them and the possibilities, I bought a Bushmaster that was already scoped. It may have been just a learning curve, but I haven't shot a bolt gun, except to tune them up, in three years. The second shot capability has worked well for me 4 or five times on both doubles, and one that was not slowed down by a flank hit at 30yds. The next shot hit him behind the head at 200 yds.
The accuracy I am getting with tailored loads is equal to any of my bolt guns. My bolt guns are lighter however.

Quote:
Since when did predator hunting and fashionable go together in the same sentence. . . ?:)

You know, that's the exact same thing I thought.

Quote:
I bought a Colt SP-1 about '78 or 9. Here's a pic of it in '81. Before camo was cool........

You're a trend setter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I never really got interested in ARs for hunting until they came out with the flat-tops. I got the chance to pack one around in SE Asia for a couple of years, and it didn't seem like it would make a very good hunting rifle. I was wrong about that.
I've got 8 rifles in the gun safe and 7 of them are autos. The other is a Winchester 94. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
The military gave up on bolt-action rifles in 1903, saving about 1/2 million American lives in World War 2.

(I'm just kidding, bolts are excellent hunting weapons, just wanted to get a few of you riled up) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bolts? They haven't been fashionable since Frankenstein. It's really all about the camo these days. And don't forget to accessorise! Don't be caught without that matching camo range bag. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back