Bolt action Vs Autoloader

In my opinion u can get great accuracy with most bolt actions and some auto loaders. My Ars hang right with most of my bolt guns. However ive noticed the last couple years shot to kill ratio is much better with a bolt action. Of course its mental, but i seem to bear down more or something wit the bolt. Or maybe just knowing u can keep pulling the trigger subconciously i take worse shots. Basically i use allot less ammo with the bolts but kill just as many. I love the AR though, perfect call gun with a 16 in barrel in my opinion.

The big difference anymore is the money. AR platforms are more expensive than most bolt platforms. Both deliver excellent accuracy. Lots of guys hunting with the AR platforms anymore and having good luck with them. It just depends on how much your budget is.

Hit them right the first time and you shouldnt need another shot! One shot, one kill! Got plenty of doubles with my bolt, just keep barking at them after the first one down and the other usually stop for one more look! BOOM! Another one bites the dust!

While I have three ARs that are 'tack drivers', it's my personal opinion that, in general, if I want the best accuracy, I prefer to take a bolt action (whether multi-round or single shot) due to the fact that it does require me to concentrate on that particular shot since I know that I probably won't get a second...

I was taught a long time ago with a single shot .22, and used to shoot one on an ROTC rifle team...The concentration factor is much higher and you mentally know that it's the most important shot you will be making.

Where with an auto loader, you may be thinking about the shot you just made, or the next shot you are planning to make and your concentration wanes a little, and maybe you trip the trigger a little sooner than you would otherwise..Your mind doesn't have that time to clear from the last one...

I'm currently in the process of trading for an old Walther single shot match .22 for working with my 12 year old grandson to get his concentration factor down... He thinks my Levers and ARs are "cool" but has hard time staying with that "One" shot theory...

I find what Old turtle said to be very true. When i am shooting at running yotes with my ar i dont concentrate nearly as much opposed to shooting a bolt gun. I guess i figure if i miss i will be able to see where i missed and make correction. I Like my ar rifles, but i could be talked out of them for the right money. I have a couple of very accurate bolt rifles that have a permanent home. I cant understand why an ar cost almost twice what a good bolt gun does? Lee

Years ago there was a lot of controversy about the alleged lack of accuracy with an autoloader, that was largely a myth. Like most things firearms related, many folk distrust and even dislike new things and find reasons to do so, even to making up and perpetuating rumors.
Look at the way each action works, the bolt pushes the round into the chamber, then rotates and locks, this is the same with both action types. When the round is fired, the bolt rotates to unlock, then is pulled back extracting and ejecting the spent case. The only differance is the motive force involved, eithr gas pressure or manual force, the effect is the same. The force involved to work the mechanics of the action, has nothing to do with accuracy. That is intrinsic to the shooter and the firearm itself.

Now that is with a centerfire chambered long arm, handguns and rimfirea are mainly blowback actions and a that is a differant kettle of fish

I heard that when a shell was injected manually, vs a shell that was forced into position by a blow back operation, would seat differently, therefore a cartridge that is only hand fed so to speak on the first round, would nestle into the chamber differently then one that was gas fed. I read much more than I should, so maybe I am wrong ? I love learning all this stuff !

Almost all of my hunting is done with a single shot of some kind. Whether it's squirrel hunting with my 10" 22lr contender, or deer hunting with my Savage Muzzleloader, 44 contender, or 7-08 Encore.

Having said that, when it comes to varmits I take an AR. Inside of 300 yards, there's no applical difference in accuracy between my AR and my Sendaro. After shooting Olympic Freestyle rifles for years, the vertical grip fits me better, and allows me to aquire the target a lot quicker in the field. Besides that, I have no ethics when it comes to killing varmits. I just want them dead.

Just my 2 bits,
Mark

I am an almost 60 year old shooter and just recently bought an R-15. I really like it, but I don't believe it will ever be as fast on the first shot as my bolt action rifles. My bolt action rifles are purchased and set up to feel like my 20 gauge bird gun - they come up instinctively and the scope is dead on target without me even thinking about it. I can't seem to get that done with the AR. I still am enjoying it though and find it almost as accurate at my bolt actions.

My guess is that some younger guys who grew up with ARs think bolt guns feel weird.

Last edited:
I almost never shoot the bolt guns anymore. At least not for coyotes, I always use one of my ARs.

I find with the current ammo prices I have no problem concentrating on my first shot.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Quote:
I heard that when a shell was injected manually, vs a shell that was forced into position by a blow back operation, would seat differently, therefore a cartridge that is only hand fed so to speak on the first round, would nestle into the chamber differently then one that was gas fed. I read much more than I should, so maybe I am wrong ? I love learning all this stuff !

Actually that only happens if you get the shell in upside down.

All kidding aside what you may be talking about is camming power. A bolt gun has the ability to chamber a cartridge that may fit tightly into the chamber where a semi-auto gun does not have that camming power.

That's often why folks can neck size their cases for a bolt gun and have to full length size for the semi-auto platforms.

There are no real differences in chamber sizes between a gas operated rifle and a bolt rifle and today there are very little if any accuracy differences.

It's less expensive to get into an accurate bolt gun than an accurate AR platform today. Like Old Turtle I prefer the bolt gun both because of the cost and the fact it makes me slow down and concentrate more and I'm probably just old fashioned.

I just got rid of my last 10-22 and went to a CZ 452 bolt gun in 22lr. so as to be able to practice with a 22 with the same type of action as my center fire varmint and big game guns.

It would really help if you can get to a range that rents guns and try out both systems. You'll like one over the other and that will help with which you buy.

Thanks for that analogy Bob, I agree that Bolt guns and Semi auto.s are somewhat different. I was just pointing out what I read about the first shot on a semi auto. I love my Bolt guns, and as others have posted, I prefer one good shot to several follow ups. I think thats the reason I leave the Mini home most of the time ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Thanks Bob !

I feel the AR platform rifles are perfect for coyotes. If you have close in fast movers the AR is kind of like a shotgun with the instant second or third shot if needed. It will also do the job at longer ranges. I have an R-15 22 inch that I really like. It is just as accurate as my bolt guns, lighter to carry, and gives me that second shot if I need it. With a 3 x 9 Nikon scope set on the lowest power it is good for the close ones, if I have to shoot at 200 yards I can turn the scope up to 9x and put fur down. There is little recoil. With the scope at 3x I do not loose sight of my target when gun fires. I feel this is a big advantage with coyotes because they are tough animals and even with a good shot they don't always stay down.
The downside is the expense. Here is my R-15 . . .

100_1371.jpg

And after a successful hunt . . .

DSC00643.jpg

Jim

Oatsayo All,
Thank you for all your comments and input. I have both types of rifles. I am very partial to my M1A. it shoots really well., But i was thinking of going to the bolt action.

Ill probably stay with the M1A. Just worries about the Anti-gun sentiment here in Kalif. But its not illegal and i seldom see anyone anyway.

Thanks again.

Quote:
Come on, guys...lots of mentions for the AR15 platform - is there no love here for the Browning BAR?

Plenty of love for the BAR! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Back