Is there a fur friendly bullet for the 22-250?

firstcoueswas80

So, a buddy of mine and I are starting to get serious about calling and selling the fur. Coyotes, I am not too worried about. But, for fox and bob cat I am looking for something that will not destroy the hide. Currently I have:

Kimber 22-250 that shoots 50 NBT's fast and accurate. It also shoots 55 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw well enough (right about an inch).

I also have a Remington 700 SPS 22-250 that shots 45 gr. JHP, winchester white box fairly well.

I also need something that can kill a mountain lion, when one comes in.

Thanks!

Casey

id use 55 gr Sps. every ballistic tip/hollow pt ive used destroys fur, especially if u get a splash on a shoulder blade or something,,,,ugly. In my opinion 2 lil holes are better than one 5 x 5 hole

Any of the softpoints or hollow points. I have never had any problems with hp. I shoot the sierra 52 HPBT matchkings and they are great for fur.

One sure way is to slow the bullets down to around 3000 fps. I know this defeats the reason for having a gun that shoots 3800 fps. Match hollowpoints will help but the 22/250 has a bunch of power. Some fur damage is to be expected. Lions don't take a lot of killing. They are thin skinned and in my opinion aren't very tough.

I am thinking that my SPS with 45 grain JHP will work well?

I talked more in detail to my buddy, and it sounds like a lot of out cat/fox stands will be shotgun territory. My 870 3" loves #4 buck so I comfortable with that!

Best way to harvest fur is to put out a trapline. Traps are very fur friendly and the success ratio is much higher than calling and shooting. Most of the folks that shoot and sell furs around here use either the 17 Remington or 204 Ruger.

6o grain v-max is the ONLY bullet I've used in the .22-250 that was fur friendly. I wouldn't expect it to be very good for fox though unless, as was said earlier, you load it down quite a ways. But I wouldn't hesitate to use it on 'cats. Like any other bullet, there will be certain situations where it will still exit, but it's the best thing I know for that caliber. You'll have to handload it. I don't know of any manufacturer loading it in .22-250. YMMV.

tt

ive never seen what i would call a fur friendly bullet for 250s, ive shot some groundhogs with 50 vmaxs at different ranges and it looked like you shoved a 1/4 stick down his throat and ive shot them before that you couldnt hardly see and entrance hole with no exit it depends on where you hit i think more than anything other than shooting a FMJ which i wont out of my 250 i think its a crapshoot on what the fur damage will be ROn

I agree with Jack and Bob, traps are the way to go. Unfortunately fur is not worth hardly anything this year. Might as well have fun with a rifle. There is some good advice regarding bullet choice above.

I am not near as experienced as most people on this site; so take this for what it is worth. I have had great sucess with the 55 gr. hornady v-max (both factories and handloads). The optimal place to shoot a coyote (in my opinion)is where the neck and shoulder connect. Everytime I have shot a yote there it has been a bang-flop (with actually no flopping). The entrance is the size of a pin hole and I have yet to have a bullet exit (about 7 or 8 coyotes).

I've tried a bunch of different ones and have recently been using Seirra 55gr SP Gameking #1365 with excellent reults. Dime size hole in and quarter size hole out. Good knock down and no lost coyotes yet. I don't load them ripping hot either. MV = aprox 3500 fps. Then I also own a needle and thread for some touch up work if necessary.

Quote:
I've tried a bunch of different ones and have recently been using Seirra 55gr SP Gameking #1365 with excellent reults. Dime size hole in and quarter size hole out. Good knock down and no lost coyotes yet. I don't load them ripping hot either. MV = aprox 3500 fps. Then I also own a needle and thread for some touch up work if necessary.

same results and I run mine at 3700

I really appreciate the replies to this post. I hunt for fur and recently bought a 22-250 for long shots. I am not a handloader. I get my ammo at the sporting goods store. I got the same answer there that I read here....there is no such thing as "fur friendly" ammo for a 22-250. Now I read that some of you hand load your own and MAKE fur friendly ammo. Mt question is; Are any of you handloaders willing to sell the ammo you make that doesn't blow out coyote hides? Is it legal to make and sell handloads??? Just curious. I'd really like to buy some 22-250 ammo like what I am reading about here. Thanks.

Quote:
I really appreciate the replies to this post. I hunt for fur and recently bought a 22-250 for long shots. I am not a handloader. I get my ammo at the sporting goods store. I got the same answer there that I read here....there is no such thing as "fur friendly" ammo for a 22-250. Now I read that some of you hand load your own and MAKE fur friendly ammo. Mt question is; Are any of you handloaders willing to sell the ammo you make that doesn't blow out coyote hides? Is it legal to make and sell handloads??? Just curious. I'd really like to buy some 22-250 ammo like what I am reading about here. Thanks.

remember they say handloads are like underwear,be careful who you trade with!

Les Johnson uses the 52 hornady BTHP match bullet out of the 22-250. I don't know if that is an endorsement or not hut he shoots a lot of coyotes.

Quote:
fur friendly with a 22-250?!? not unless you miss him. JHG

Blanks work very well, hard to beat as long as you don't take a really close shot.

Jack

Quote:
Les Johnson uses the 52 hornady BTHP match bullet out of the 22-250. I don't know if that is an endorsement or not hut he shoots a lot of coyotes.

thats funny
I just got off the reloading bench putting those bullets in my 22-250. Thats good to hear.

Back