Remington CDL 264 Win Mag

joshf303

Been torn on finding an action and building a 264 or finding one of the limited run Remington CDLs in a SS Fluted. I have found a slightly used one, bout 80 rounds run through it, that is a decent deal. Guy is loading for it and it shoots moa or tad better with 140 SST's and Berger 140 VLDS. Anyone shooting one these rifles, opionions? Does anyone think that the rifle would benefit from having the throat extended a bit to seat the long 140's out a little more. I dont mind loading shells singly if it helps tighten it up a bit. It would mostly be used for Texas deer and hogs, sometimes way out there on these long senderos.

I was interested in the 264 some time back, and i was talked out of it here by some fellas that know whats what. I since have come to the same conclusion that there are other rounds available that will do the same if not better, and they will have better barrel life. But you know how it is. if this is what you want then go after it!! The same guy here have tried to talk me out of a 243AI but i ordered one anyway. one of those things. The 264 win mag is hard on barrels though, and the shoulder. Lee

I hear ya Lee. I want something in a 6.5mm simply cause I dont have anything in that department. My uncles has two 6.5x284's that shoot like a dream, buddy has a 6.5x06 that shoots great as well. I have entertained the idea of everything from a 6.5 wsm to 6.5 gibbs etc etc....something bout the 264 just keeps me looking at them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif Far as barrel life, the thing wont probably get shot much except when we go to culling does and management bucks in the fall. Barrel goes to crap, slap another on and go.Trusty 25-06 shooting 110 accubonds hasn't failed me this year, 54 for 59 with that rife since we started, out to 526yds as of yesterday. BUT HEY, its Christmas time, I need something NEW.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have the 6.5mm bug myself! I bought a rem 700vs chambered in 260 Remington. The rifle came with a vx-3 leupold scope 6.5x20 with target turrets. I got a great deal on the package. I have been talking with my gunsmith about a 6.5 creedmoor. I may do this build after i get my 243Ai finished. Those 6.5mm bullets fly oh so good!! Let us know what you come up with. I think you can get a rem 700 sendero chambered in 264. that would be a nice rifle. Lee

Yeah, I have seen a few Senderos in 264. I do quite a bit of walking is the only reason I would like a lil bit lighter rifle than the Sendero. I think the Rem CDL, even with a 26 in barrel ( which I want), is still at 6 3/4 pounds. I get a chance to get out futher west at times for mule deer and elk, so the 30 cals might stay at home next time and this one would get the nod. I like the added BC and down range punch of the 6.5's as well.

Quote:
"I was interested in the 264 some time back, and i was talked out of it here by some fellas that know whats what. I since have come to the same conclusion that there are other rounds available that will do the same if not better, and they will have better barrel life...."

Skeets...

Common now, I know you are kinda new to rifles but you should know by now that you cannot have a cartridge "... that will do the same if not better, and they will have better barrel life....".

There is no such thing. Doing "The same" means delivering the same velocity/energy and you cannot do that with less powder and better barrel life.... "better" means more powder, and more powder means lower barrel life.

There has NEVER been a cartridge that delivered better performance AND better barrel life.

That's like the chocolate donuts diet. The more you eat, the more you loose... I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn if you are interested.

not buying a round over barrel life, is like not buying a corvette because of ''tire life'' the old 264 is a sweet round. sure would hate to part with my win.

The .220 Swift was a "barrel burner" .......

The .264 Win ....... know for the same "sin" .....

But now, the .220 Swift is back to a modified reveered status ........

So why not the .264???

Because better steels and better barrel management, cleaning ... limiting rounds in quick succession .... have helped to revive the .220 ...... Won't the same apply to the .264 Win???

Been thinking about an overbore ..... this or that myself .......

Three 44s

The issue of barrel life doesnt concern me to much. I wont be sitting on a dog town popping round after round, and I space all my shots out in all my rifles when working up loads are shooting paper. The Swift I have is a Pre-garcia Sako that I inherited from my grandfather. I have no clue how many rounds been down the pipe, I know he shot the heckout of it, but its holds about 3/4 MOA with handloads. I dont see any problems with a burnt out barrel, but he was meticulous with keeping it clean. I have been wanting a 6.5 mm for some time...and the issue about a 264 being a "barrel burner" doesn't keep me from still considering one. Heck , I wanna build a 22-250 AI with bout a 1:8 twist to shoot 75's, and would love to punch my old Rem 700 25-06 out to an AI. I am sure, like the rest of mine, I'll squeeze all the performance out of it I can and worry bout the barrel later. My main concern is the throat issue with the 264...I have no experience with the round so was looking for some pointers on what to look out for when it comes to reloading for it.

Quote:
I was interested in the 264 some time back, and i was talked out of it here by some fellas that know whats what. I since have come to the same conclusion that there are other rounds available that will do the same if not better, and they will have better barrel life. But you know how it is. if this is what you want then go after it!! The same guy here have tried to talk me out of a 243AI but i ordered one anyway. one of those things. The 264 win mag is hard on barrels though, and the shoulder. Lee

This barrel life thing started with the Swift & then the 264. As another stated, barrel steel has changed over the years, also copper removal/cleaning agents & other factors as well. But it is amusing how this reputation has stuck with these rounds, but not with other that would burn a barrel just as fast or faster. For example consider the 257Wea, a round that I like alot BTW. But, it uses a case of the same approx. size as the 264, but a smaller bore.
But yet any time the 264 is mentioned, barrel burner comes up fast, but with the 257 Wea., sometimes not at all, funny.

Any rounds of this type, 257Wea., 264, 270Wea, 7STW & so on are not volume/target rounds, but if you shoot groups & work up loads logically, find you load & then hunt with it, they will last for years.

Well...missed out on the Rem CDL 264 that I had found for sale. Did a little trading the other day and now I have two 300wsms...traded a 270 wsm for another 300 wsm just because it was a smoking deal. SO.....being that I still wanna build something in a 6.5mm, what does a 6.5 wsm sound like to yall. Anyone here been toyin with one?? Kept all my 270wsm brass to back the project. This is my very first build, so any help would be appreciated. Am gonna keep the Sako 300 wsm I traded for and build off the savage action from the rifle that I had. I wanna keep it a light, carry type rifle.

the 264 win has been the most frustrating caliber I have ever messed with, I dreamed of slinging 140 VLD bullets into 1 hole groups at 3200 fps. this is one potent ballistic combination if you can accomplish it, and one that is not trumped by anything short of something on an ultra mag case.

what I have found is there just isn't a whole lot of powders that work very well in the 264 pushing 140-142 grn bullets at top speeds. I can find accuracy without much trouble, but getting the speed and accuracy is something I am still searching for. I even did some searching and located some old h870, I found it does what it needs to do, but is temp sensitive, so far the only powder I have found that gives the speeds I am looking for is ramshot magnum. I must have tried out at least 8 different powders and found none of them are slow enough to work right, h870 is the right speed but it has other issues. even retumbo is too fast a powder. maybe h50 bmg?? who knows I am sick of buying powders and have settled on ramshot from here on out. I am now down to tweaking the bullet seating to find a little more accuracy.

the 6.5's will have an advantage if you are using vld bullets and are needing to shoot beyond 500 yards, otherwise unless you get the speeds right you might as well shoot a 270 win, this gun was built to wack coyotes as far as you can see um, if you just want a hunting rifle one is better served with a 270, if I had to do this project over again, I would add 1" to the barrel and done up a 6.5-06 instead.

what ever! I was just passing along some info that i was given here. I also still beleive that there are other chamberings that will acomplish the same things with better barrel life. Lee

Last edited:
The old 7 Mag is hard to beat, accurate, easy to work up a super accurate load for.

I beat my brains out on a 264WM, till I started shooting the 129g Hornady SP at 3150 with max load of IMR 4350 and 9 1/2. This bullet put 3" holes through deer at any angle shot. I never did get the accuracy out of any 140g bullet that I tried until I slowed them way down.

My neighbor just had Pac Nor put a 26" barrel on his Rem 700 in 6.5/06 and is shooting the 129's at 3250 with extreme accuracy. I am impressed with the cartridge.

The 6.5/06 looks very interesting to me. And I'm sure someone has done an "AI" on that, too, though it would seem to have about all the powder capacity you could effectively use. Still, I like the AI case design better than the older 'slope shoulder' designs.

I'll probably just stick with my .25-06 in the end... Interesting thread.

Back