Remington Sendero?

pyscodog

Easy question. Do all Remington Senderos say Sendero on the barrel? New, old ect. My bud says they all do, I've heard they all don't. Please give me the REAL TRUTH!

Pyscodog /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

All of mine do.(3) I have never seen one new that wasn't marked.(hundreds) There are a lot of gun dealers that mark their rifles as Sendero's when they sell them that are not true Sendero's. I've even seen new SPS's that were labeled in a store as a Sendero.. but it wasn't.

Sendero's have only been made since 1994, stainless fluted only since 1996. Somewhere right after that (1998) they started offering a carbon fiber tension barrel option but prices over $1500 kept most from buying. The composite barrel Sendero was only made in 25-06, 7mm STW and .300 Win Mag. None of these barrels were marked like traditional rifles. These barrels were produced by Christensen Arms but assembled into rifles at Remington.

After discontinuing the carbon fiber tension barrels the Sendero was discontinued and replaced by the Sendero II as it remains today.

Sendero (long action) and VS (short action) are the top of the line in accuracy sold to the public by Remington and that is the reason that many dealers claim they have a Sendero when they truely do not. (I'm not including X series rifles from the custom shop) When the barrels a proof tested the accuracy of that barrel determines what rifle will be made. The top of the accuracy department gets PS or PSS designation.... but not generally available to the public.... not to be confused with SPS. I'm also not including M24, 5R sniper barrels which again are not generally available to the public and only available through the custom shop.

The PS,PSS and Sendero as well as the VS all use the same HS Precision stock, except different color and the PS, PSS have a double front swivel stud. The PS and PSS are usually cut to a shorter barrel length, standard models are 18-20" but I have seen 16" too. The PS,PSS get a parkerized finish instead of matt blue as well.

You will never see a PS or PSS without that marked desgnation as I belive the Sendero was marked as well becuase of the extra premium they ask for these rifles.

Sorry, I'm getting off topic.
Again, I have never seen a 700 Sendero marked box that wasn't marked on the rifle barrel... with hundreds of examples seen. (I'm not saying they don't exist...just never seen one)

I have seen lots...lots of SPS Varmints in HS stocks that were beeing called VS's also. Since you can buy a low dollar Remy and change the stock to a HS and take it to a gun show and charge VS prices it has become very common.
Buyer beware.

I am not familiar with the Sendero II, sorry, so I can't comment on those.

Quote:
"... I am not familiar with the Sendero II, sorry, so I can't comment on those."

I have a Sendero-II and it is marked.

It is also the smoothest and most accurate Remington I have ever bought over the counter (not counting the 40XB's).

My 1997 .300 Win mag SF Sendero is marked accordingly. It is the very accurate and other than being a bit on the heavy side I love it for big game hunting.

Most of the rifles that I were talking about are long action. They were stainless, fluted barrels in the H-S stock, but were not marked on the barrel Sendero. So, if they have a stainless fluted barrel, and the H-S stock,and are long action, what are they?

Thanks Pyscodog

I found a Rem. 700 in .223 with H-S stock and fluted stainless barrel but nobody was sure what it was. I sent Remington Customer Service an e-mail with the serial number and they sent back all the info the next day. (model number, date of build and date first sold) Mine ended up being the VSSF.

There are plenty of large distributers that have guns made to their specs. Maybe they wanted to get a cheaper version of a Sendero as a price point.

Again I can't comment of the Sendero II because I have no hands on experience with them, just like the 300RUM which was never made as a Sendero, but was made in a Sendero II.

Here is an interesting link with a moose trophy, the weapon listed is a Sendero in 300 Win Mag, but it is clearly a wood stock on the rifle:
http://www.huntingmag.com/trophy_photos/webster_1121/index.html

Many people call any long action heavy barrel Remington a Sendero like any facial tissue is called a Kleenex.

Quote:
I think the short actions came in the VS, VSF, VSSF and now the VSSF II.

LVS, LVSF, CDL, BDL, BDL SS, BDL Varmint, ADL, AS, FS, LS, MTN, RS, etc., etc., etc.

Just wanted to show that the 300RUM was made as a sendero an is not marked on the rifle. Here is the owners manual... Jason

100_1862.jpg

This is kinda what I'm talking about. Stainless,fluted heavy barrel. Lets say,for sake of conversation, a 25-06, H-S Precision stock. But no markings on the barrel that say Sendero. In the Blue Book of gun values, it has no mention of the word Sendero on the barrel. Many will argue that just because it does not say Sendero does not mean that is isn't one. I'm still confused. I know the SPS rifles and the short actions ( with maybe some exceptions Rsum,wssm) such as the 223, 22-250,VSSFII ect. are not Senderos. But that still leaves the one like Smith 1559's that say it on the box, but not the barrel.

Pyscodog

Quote:
There are plenty of large distributers that have guns made to their specs. Maybe they wanted to get a cheaper version of a Sendero as a price point.

Again I can't comment of the Sendero II because I have no hands on experience with them, just like the 300RUM which was never made as a Sendero, but was made in a Sendero II.

Here is an interesting link with a moose trophy, the weapon listed is a Sendero in 300 Win Mag, but it is clearly a wood stock on the rifle:
http://www.huntingmag.com/trophy_photos/webster_1121/index.html

Many people call any long action heavy barrel Remington a Sendero like any facial tissue is called a Kleenex.

I could not tell if the Sendero in the story is Walnut or Laminated. I have a Lam. stock Sendero in 300WM. it is labeled a Sendero, this was a limited run, I have only seen the Lam. stock Sendero in 300WM & 7STW, but I don't think many were sold. Mine is an extemely accurate factory rifle.
BTW, I also have a regular glass stocked Sendero in 25-06 (now an AI) that is a fine weapon as well.

I traded off a 7 STW Sendero with a Laminated stock. Worst thing I've ever done, firearms-wise.

Every first generation Sendero I've seen has had it on the barrel, but I won't commit.

Back