Are we all like the one I met in Craig CO...I HOPE NOT

Onamission

I was Elk hunting in Craig,CO. late cow season. There had been a massive winter kill from last year so not very many sightings at all. Anyway, We came across 4 Coyote Hunters 3 male and one female I think was the count. All were in camo and no Orange, no snow either. Now we came up on them as they were stalking, we thought they were elk hunters to so we stopped, I in my orange slowly moved up to one of the hunters and was going to explain that we didn't want to jump or spook their hunt. She comes walking up as I start to explain and I get "I don't care, we are Coyote hunters and we don't care about your elk hunt". I turned around and started walking away but was still trying to be polite. Now that I knew what they were up to, we started to move on. I turned and said you know it is late cow season and you might want to wear some orange at least till you get to your stand...NO GO I got more grief. I said don't get your panties in a bunch, we are outa here. I guess I hurt her feelings.

To her ....I'm sorry.Butch up...to her family if her or one in her party was shot by an inexperienced elk hunter due to no orange....sorry...we all know THAT never happens.

Lighten up...this is not Iraq or the wild west...on second thought...nah it aint worth it....I paid good coin to hunt there, she was probably a local and can hit those spots anytime.....as a side note we came up on two yotes later that day...way away from the Coyote hunters.....the gods shined on them to live another day....

I have ran into people like that as well while big game hunting and predator hunting. Coyote hunting has become VERY popular here in this area and there is alot of guys out here that just dont give a crap and think they own the country. Last year, we ran into a couple of guys that where dog hunting. We where driving down the road and came up on there vehicle. We could see them walking off, so we left and went too another spot. After that, every road that we drove down to set up, as soon as we would walk away from the truck, they would come right pass our truck and stop?? And when we would walk back to the truck, they would leave. They did that 3 times. When we left to go home, we stopped at a gas station and they where there. They told us that we where screwing up there hunting????

I usually wait to hunt predators after the big game seasons are over. Unless I am on private land.

There are lots of them like that around here. Let me guess, they were younger, right? I don't know when respect for fellow human beings stopped getting taught, I just know that my kids were still brought up right in the '90's. I hunt alot of coyotes before and between regular rifle seasons, I just don't feel comfortable in full camo when the masses are running around trying to shoot anything that moves. I start calling heavy again after regular seasons are done, I don't let late season cow hunters bother me much, it seems like they are a bit less idiotic and definantly a lot fewer in numbers, plus if I pull up to an area and see another vehicle or people, I just keep on going to the next spot. It's big country, this time of year we all should be able to have spots to ourselves with lots of leftovers.

Unfortunatly they are like that all over, not just varmint hunters either, get the same higher than thou from upland bird hunters & a few others also. These people just make it bad for the rest of us who repect others.
Its just so hard for them to make nice talk when crossing others when out hunting I guess.

I would not feel comfortable in all camo knowing there are big game hunters in the woods. It is state law here in MN to where orange hat and vest, at least, when any firearms season is open for deer. Unfortunately, we have to take the good with the bad, in all aspects of life.

Good luck, -Ron

Back