H380 max loads for .22-250....???

TReX300

I've been playing with some loads lately and thought I'd try some H380 I have instead of the Varget I've been using. I have a 3rd edtion Sierra Manual and it lists 38grns of H380 at 3700fps as a max load with a 55grn bullet. On the current Hodgdon Powder site it lists 41grns at 3713fps as a max load. Thats a pretty large difference in powder for basicly the same velocity. It also lisst the 38grn charge as a minimum load at 3507fps. Which data is right? One lists 38grns as a max the other lists its as a minimum. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Tim

Its not uncommon at all
Different powder makers, bullet makers don't all use the same equipment and all get different results
I use that powder in my 220 swift good stuff there maynard
I love the red maple leaf

I think I would go with the powder man. data. h380 is temp. sensitive so
watch your loads when spring and summer come around. That is the only
reason I have changed to varget as a powder of choice.

Stick with the Varget

H380 has shown very different pressure sign depending on the time of year it is, varget on the other hand has been very consistant in my 22-250's and a 243.

I generally use 38.5 grains of H380 behind a 55 v-max, when I do shoot it, which is generally summertime. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I have stuffed my 22-250 with 38 grains of h380 and have not moved off of that load at any time of the year. Consistently get 1" - 5 shot groups out of my Savage FV12. Chrono'd at about 3750 avg...

Bruce Hodgdon named the powder H380 because his favorite load for the 22-250 was 38 grs. of this yet unnamed surplus military powder.

On top of some powders being subject to temp variation, you have to take into account that different barrels, different cases, different projectiles and different primers produce different pressure outcomes and velocities. What works in your rifle probably doesn't work in mine. If I change a component in my ammunition then I need to work up another load. If I use a temp sensitive powder then I need to be careful of seasonal impacts on that too.

Thanks for the replies guys. I've done some looking around and have data for quite a few loads in the 38.5-40grn ranges aswell. I think I'll just start with 38grns and see where it goes. I've been loading for alot of years and have seen differences in data but never 3grns difference listed in a max load. I know there's variables but that differnce seemed extreme.

Thanks again
Tim

As mentioned above, there are many reasons why reloading manuals differ with respect to max loads listed.
There is only one rational thing that us reloaders must do in the face of the differences, and that is, start low, and work up to the powder charge that works in your specific rifle. Don't dwell on why these differences exist, just accpet that they are due to many different factors. And begin the load development process with starting loads, never go straight to a max load listed, ever.

Martyn

Trex,
I use 38 gr. of H380 also but I shoot 50 gr. Hornady V Max and that load is deadly accurate in my Rem. 700
I have good optics on her also. Swarovski 6x18x50/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I realize the variables but I guess what I'm getting at is what do I take as a starting load? If I go by the Hodgdon data it's 38grns. If I go by the 3rd edition Sierra Data its 34.2 grns. If the 38gnrs is really a starting load going to the 34.2 grns would be way under a minimum load which is also not a good thing to do. I guess I should ask if anyone hasa 4th or 5th edtion Sierra Manual and what does it show as starting and max loads.

Thanks again
Tim

For years I shot a load of 39.2g of H 380 with a 55g Sierra Sp, grouped about 1 1/4", and smoked coyotes, near and far.

Your milage may vary.

The fifth edition Sierra manual lists 35.6 to a max of 38.0 for H380 with a 55gr bullet.
A max load of H380 is about 200 fps slower than most of the other powders recommended.

Jack

I could never get a 55 gr to move out faster using H-380 than what I could with H4895. This powder could never give me the accuracy of what H4895 or RL-15 could produce either.

H-380 seemed to burn "dirtier" than most powders that I've tired, so I quite using it. The last time I used it was about 8 yrs ago and will never buy it again!

I,ve bee using H 380 for over 20 years. In 4 different 22-250,s It has always been very accurate. I like the way it flows through the powder measure also. I havn't had any problems with heat sensitity. I've used it from 30 below to 90. I don't load real hot maybe that's the reason. 36 to 38grs.

H380 is great. All 3 of the 22-250's were accurate using it. Can't say the same thing about Varget. Not even close.

I've tried working up loads using the Hodgdon site but have never found a load as accurate as 36.5 grains in mine. Never had a problem killing critters with that load either. I see no reason to even try to push it faster.

CB

On top of some powders being subject to temp variation, you have to take into account that different barrels, different cases, different projectiles and different primers produce different pressure outcomes and velocities. What works in your rifle probably doesn't work in mine. If I change a component in my ammunition then I need to work up another load. If I use a temp sensitive powder then I need to be careful of seasonal impacts on that too.
You are absolutely right could not have said it better myself
THANK YOU

Back