Winchester model 70 heavy varmint . I got it!!!!

djscott

I have a family estate auction in my area this saturday and they have over 100 long and hand guns and alot are still new or used very little.And none of them are cheap guns...this guy must of been loaded. Well they have a Winchester model 70 heavy varmint in 308 with sythetic stock and stainless barrle. It still has a tag on the trigger gaurd so I assume its still new.
Our area's economy in in tuff shape like most so I'm hoping for a small turn out.
Anyone have an idea what this rifle is worth?? I know auction prices vary alot...just trying to get an idea so I'll no what to expect and bid up to. How can ya tell how old it is by the serial #??
Thanks

Last edited:
The street price for them when they were new was ~$650-$700.

They were replaced by the "Shadow" (or maybe it was the Stealth?), which was a cheaper model with a Cromoly barrel and an unpolished bolt.

Right now, NIB with a tag on it, it would not surprise me if it went for $1100 or more.

Pray for snow!

any idea when they where made? The new ones on winchesters sight have a fluted barrel and list for 1100.00 and some change.Was it that good of rifle that it shot up in value that much?? There 3 rem 700 22-250's, a 25.06,7mm mag and afew Weatherbe's ther so mabey just mabey thell leave the 308 alone...I hope.

I have one in .223 Rem I bought used at the LGS here (like new condition) with a cheapo Bushnell 3-9X on it. I paid $600 for it and thought it was a good deal.

Though the original barrel has long since gone the way of all well used pdog barrels, this one is my "favorite" pdog rig. It always was a shooter, but with a Lilja barrel, a Leupold 6-18X 1/8 dot scope, a muzzle brake, and a really good bedding job, it's a tackdriver.

You may want to re-think selling it, and keep it for yourself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mike

Quote:
any idea when they where made? The new ones on Winchesters sight have a fluted barrel and list for 1100.00 and some change.Was it that good of rifle that it shot up in value that much?? There 3 rem 700 22-250's, a 25.06,7mm mag and a few Weatherby's there so maybe just maybe they'll leave the 308 alone...I hope.

The HBV's with the stainless barrels were outstanding rifles. I have 2 in 308 and one in 223, and I would never consider selling them.

They were match grade out of the box. A good friend won his state's 1,000 yd matches with out out of the box with just a trigger adjustment.

I think they were made from 1989 to 1998, but maybe someone else has a better time line than that.

well the auction is over and I'm the proud owner of a NIB (with tags) winchester model 70 heavy varmint stainless in 308. Man this thing is awsome. Cant wait to clean it and she how she shoots. I have alot to learn about the 308. And yes I got one [beeep] of a deal.

Last edited:
Hey DJ

I was at that auction this morning... on Road 1...
There was a Rem 700 in 308 with a HB that I bid $425 on the next bidder got it for $450.
What did that XP-100 go for??? the 16 boxes of factory ammo went for $150... another second last bid for me but I have too much fireball ammo already.

I have one in 223 and another in 22-250 that I took prairie dog hunting last summer. My uncle and his friend were so impressed with the accuracy of the 22-250 they each bought one after the trip. Very nice bench guns.

Hey Deisel how ya been, I had to send my brother to the auction as I had to work.I told him to call me and let me know what stuff was going for,He said it was insane fast and he couldnt hardley keep it all straight. The hand guns all went high.the only price I remember was a Ruger Super Blackhawk that went for 6 or 650. That Xp was cool looking.

I ended up getting the the Modle 70 for 525.00, 25.00 more than I wanted to spend but since it had all the tags,box,paperwork and still had the factory grease in the action I new it was unfired. So lil brother brought it home.
That was the largest gun auction I have ever seen.I would have liked to been there, that kinda stress is fun.

I know one of the auctineers, out of curiousity I might call him to see if he can tell me what the other stuff went for.

I saw several guys there that have FFLs. There were plenty of people there... I think my bid number was 245 or so... I got my number just before the auction started. Most of the guns were LNIB or NIB. I did not bid on much,,, There was a Browning Buckmark with a 14" barrel that interested me and I can always use another varmint rifle or handgun.
When was the last time you saw a NIB Colt revolver in 357? There were 2 maybe 3 there.
I had just blown my mad money on a Rem 7615 and a Ruger in 22 Hornet so if I was going to buy it would have had to be bargain priced.
Fun to go to an auction that things were not junk

I have one and love it, It is chambered in 243 and shoots sub moa, with factory ammo, It however is not a rifle I enjoy hauling around the woods coyote hunting.

Back