Hunting during full moons???

Aznative

Out here in Arizona, we are not allowed to hunt at night which stinks. I got up this morning at 3:30 am to go calling and when I let the dog out it was light enough to read a book. I decided to go to the range today instead because I've never had good luck under a full moon hunting during the daytime. I was wondering what your opinions are about hunting during daytime while there is a full moon at night? Also, for you guys lucky enough to be in a state that permits night hunting, is it good hunting coyotes at night during a full moon? I've always been under the impression that the coyotes are out hunting all night during a full moon since there vision is fine tuned for these conditions. FYI: I have called a few coyotes around noon during full moons, but overall I prefer to do something else.

Last month just after the full moon I day hunted Tx and NM for three days. My friend and I put 17 coyotes and a fox on the ground.

You don't know till you go and I go when I can.
Kelly

I have better luck in a full moon, like Kelly said, I knock em down....Can't wait til this weekend!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

They still have to eat, & they are active.

Night hunting is where you may some issues of concealment, but daytime is the same rules.

Barry

I asked that question here or anothe board a few years ago and the majority said, "best with NO moon". Your mileage may vary.

Will let you know after Saturday. My night hunt for Friday fell through, so I'll be going to a different spot Saturday A.M.

Other factors may influence the hunt though. Despite the full moon, Saturday is forecast to be the nicest day between two cold fronts. We'll see what happens.

In any event, I have never killed one at my house so I am going out.

I hunt hogs at night. I have feeders and IR feeder lights and my elevated platform is 85 yards away, on the edge of the woods, with an open field in between. I get to see a lot of game at night and I've noticed that during a full moon, many times I won't see anything until late. (midnight - 1:00 a.m.) When there is no moon or just a sliver, I usually see game right after dark. They are still active during a full moon, just usually later.

Jeff

I kept records for a long time on our hunts to Mexico, moon phase, weather, temps, ETC. I compared this to the Solunar tables in Field and Stream...darn tables were very accurate!

On a full moon, we seemed to kill more in Mid day, say from 10:00-3:00 pm than early morrning and late afternoon.

Get a copy of the current Field and Stream and pay close attention to the Major and Minor feeding periods. Of course, the weather has a major part in it also, but when you combine the leading edge of a low pressure front with the Solunar tables, you have a winning combo! That is when you HUNT, HUNT, and HUNT!

Had time for two stands after work. Went to a cat spot. No joy.
Setup on the next stand with a wheat field on the downwind side.
This young girl showed up there and was using a terrace for cover.
All I could see was her head. Made the shot with the 204 upper at well over 200 yards.
Don't mind the gang sign it is for the FP contest.

Good hunting and don't let the full moon scare you.
Kelly

IMG_0487.jpg

Thanks for the pep talk everyone. I'm going to try and get out on Sunday and maybe tuesday because there is a front moving in. We have a chance of rain on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday with Rain being predicted on Wednesday and Thursday.
Happy Hunting

BTW: Yesterday at the range I fine tuned one load and also found another load that looks real promising using Benchmark in a 308.

This is the full moon day. I got to hunt till noon.
Put three more on the ground.
They will come in the mornings even though the moon is full.

Now if I get to pick my conditions, it would be dark of the moon cold cloudy and a 5-10 MPH steady breeze out of one direction.

I hope you have good luck Aznative - keep the wind right and go when you can.

IMG_0488.jpg

IMG_0491.jpg

Hmm, some of my best day hunting is during a Full Moon. I got two Weds morning and two more this morning. Both mornings the last dog was shot around 11a.m. Next week when the moon goes away I'll be watching those red eyes in my lights.

Back