7-30 Waters

decanuck

I was wondering if there were any 7-30 Waters reloaders out there? Awaiting the arrival of my Contender barrel and dies. I will be handloading for it. I have 30-30 brass coming in for it and have been told it will need to be fireformed.

Any suggestions on loading for it?

I had a 21" Contender carbine in 7-30 that I liked. Loaded 120 gr. hornandy sp with AA2520. It shot well, I took a few deer with it but I loaned it to a friend with a young son to take his first deer. Well they both fell in love with the gun so I don't have it any more. I used factory brass but it shouldn't be a problem to form. Good luck with the new barrel.

I have had 2 7-30's....just sold one sunday on GB. the best load I have come up with is 140 Ballistic silvertip with AA2520 powder. My 7 year old niece dropped a big nubbin in his tracks at over 100 yards. I am very impressed with this cartridge. Robbie

no problem at all to fire form 3030 brass, you cant tell the difference once done. Run all your 3030 brass through your resizing die (lubed good) Look up a load for a 120 grain bullet in the 3030, load it into your pressed 3030 case with a 120 grain 7mm bullet- each will be nicely reshaped. Then look at the many charts, start low and work until you have a good group. All my TC barrel long 23" down to short 10" preferred 120 grain bullets. I mostly used Nosler BTs. My brother has a couple 200 yard neckshot kills on big bucks with a 10 inch TC- shooting 120 gr hot loads. My Winch 730w level gun loves the Nosler- but you have to shoot it single shot because of the tub mag and the pointy bullets.

I rather not share hot load data- you need to work up to them. But be warned I have owned about 30 TC Contenders and sometimes the ones I bought with real hot wildcat barrels attached would have a stretched reciever- so I would not go for the heat- look for the groups. The new G2 frames can handle the heat without problems. If you want another barrel anytime soon- check with Eds TC (google him) out of OK. Biggest dealer on TCs period, great prices. Enjoy Keep Center.

I have had two 7-30 Waters Contenders. The first was a 10" Bull Barrel and the most recent (the one I currently have) is a SST Super 14 Barrel.

Both barrels seemed to prefer 120gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips. I used W-748 in the 10" and am currently using H-4895 in the 14" Contender.

When I got my current 14" 7-30 Waters Contender Barrel I also ordered 100 new Remington .30-30 Winchester Cases. I necked them down with a Redding Neck Sizing Die. It took a little trial and error to get the die set right so the false shoulder I created when necking down from .30 to 7mm was in the right place. I fitted mine rather tight so as to eliminate any case stretch in the wrong places when fireforming.

Once I had the cases necked down to 7mm I fireformed them using a small amount of Fast Burning Pistol Powder and Cream of Wheat (the instructions are detailed in an Article I found on the net entitled Brass, Bullet Lube and Breakfast Cereal).

I then set out to work up the most accurate load with the components I had. I was rewarded with a load that produces 1" or less 100 yard groups from the bench at 2436 FPS. I had the good fortune of taking two Whitetails with this barrel & load this year. Both were one shot kills, one at 200 yards and one at 124 yards.

Good luck with the 7-30 Waters.

Larry

You didn't say whether it was a pistol or rifle? You HAVE to try SR4759.

I'm shooting a 14" pistol in 7mm International Rimmed, an old IHMSA cartridge, kinda like a 7-30W short. Data is very similar. If ya want a good "plinker" load, run about 17-18 grains of SR4759 under a 120 or 140 gr bullet. Nice mild load and extremely accurate. I was shooting a 1'x2' gong at 500 meters with SR4759 and 120 Hornady HP's. And that was with a 2x scope!!! Would be a great load for a kid, or if you just wanna shoot a lot one day.

bownut

Larry did you mean SSK barrel, or what is a SST?

Bownut, I assume that is close to a 7BR? But perhaps a bit lighter so the pressures don't create a problem. Do you shoot silhouttee with it? if so good on 200 yard Rams? I would bet so with 120s. Thanks gents. JHG

gunny...

I don't shoot "sillywets" with it. No time to get into that sport. That cartridge was developed by Elgin Gates, for silhouette shooting. It is an extremely accurate cartridge and is most effective with 154's from what I'm told. That's what it was designed for. I haven't compared it to the 7BR pressures, but it pushes the 120's at around 2000 fps. Just a touch slower than a 7-30 waters.

bownut

Quote:
Larry did you mean SSK barrel, or what is a SST?
JHG

SST is T/C's abrevation for Stainless-Steel. Sorry about the confusion. Mine is a T/C Factory Stainless-Steel Barrel.

Larry

Was looking at a barrel in this for my G2 Conteder carbine for my daughter to shoot deer with. How is the recoil and what range is this a realistic deer cartridge?

I don't mean to hijack the thread but thought any posters could comment on all the facets of the 7-30.

the 7-30W is perfect for kids/women, especially in the Contender format. Nice, light, compact. Very little recoil. My kid loves the Contender rifle. Fits like a glove.

bownut

My daughter loves our G2 Contender in .223. They are a great kids package. Small, light, single shot and easy to handle.I may have to pick up a barrel in 7-30 waters and try your load bownut. Sounds like a winner for a kid.

730W is A+ for deer out to 200 yards, for kids, mommas, and daddys! A+ again on bullet selection for the 730- we shoot 120s down in TX. Great round - would be a good op to compare it against the 260 and 708. TC are top equipment for youngsters as well, don't weight enough when hauling around, but down side to weight is a bit more recoil. Anytime they engage an animal recoil is not felt only when shooting paper. So get her a 223 or 204 barrel to train on and a 730 barrel to hunt with. Enjoy, JHG

I dug up my TC 730 Water pet load for anyone that wants it;

120 Nosler Balistic Tip, R12 36.3 grains, Rem 9-1/2 primer.

When fire forming 3030 brass, I shoot the same bullets but with 33 grs of R12. Forms them just fine.

With a 12 inch hunter off a sandbag at 100 yards, it maintains sub MOA. Add a big set of horns, it barely maintains the whole deer in the scope. The 12 inch hunter is really only a 10 inch barrel with 2 inches of TC muzzle break. JHG

Back