Spring time calling

Coyote Caller

Hey,
Just wanted to get some people stirred up. Is there any special way to call coyotes in the spring? Anything I should do different than the fall hunting? I am from Central Nebraska. Does that make a differece. Tell me what special tatics you use in the spring.
Happy Hunting
Shane

Weeeelllll...... you could just call from your living room...

(Will that help stir things up OK????)

------------------
Critr

LW42144.jpg

www.SaguaroSafaris.com

If you've been on this board for a while, you have no doubt picked up many fine tips from the masters. My suggestion for spring time calling would be to pull out all the stops and use them all.Pack a six foot step ladder,along with your remote/electronic call,your rifle and range finder and decoy, into a tight brushy little stand. Don a full gillie suit,douse yourself with the finest bunny piss money can buy,blow on a critter call magnum as loud as you can, using alternately a challenge then lonesome howl, grab ahold of your rigor rabbit and shake furiously.....and get ready for some action! I hope this advice helps mold you into a more successful springtime caller.
Vic

seriously...

Vic is pretty close. (especially for an anti-spring hunter)

Ive been very succesful lately in or near dense cover (where it helps to use a ladder) let out a lone howl, then go into a Fawn or Calf "Bawl"... AP-6 works ok

coyotes either come raging in or circle down wind. better shoot fast.
Ive been having a lot of deer come in as well.

Go down by the River or other wooded or dense stretch of land that looks like potentially good denning area... get right in there and "start working".

edit: Just remembered... you can night hunt in Nebraska... thatll work better probably. Check out the night hunting forum....

Robb

------------------
"Happiness... is a Target-Rich Environment"

paws2.gif

[This message has been edited by Robb/Scottsdale/AZ (edited 05-24-2001).]

This works in north central Nebraska. Pop in the Randy Anderson tape and sit in front of the tube. Turn down the sound, use your own calls, blow as loud as you want (the neighbors need to know what a rabbit being reamed sounds like). Act slightly surprised when coyote appears on screen. Check your rifle/shotgun and make sure its unloaded. Try to simulate firing just a mili-second before the real shot. Full camo dress is recommended for an authentic feel. Hidding behind the potted plant is optional. Oh yea, put the cat out. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay out. Finish the days stand by drooling over fall catalogs. Always rewind.
tongue.gif

Rick

My favorite
Attache a pecock plume to your head and run screaming thru tall alfalfa fields at dusk .
Stop at every wheel line and do the macharaina. this will surley call in sompthing . Stay away from the San Francisco area when useing this technique.

Lol....

I think I will try the Randy Anderson Tape first! Then if that don't work the order is already in for the peacock plumage! Yall cracked me up. Just wanted to see what kink of response i could get with a general question.

Good Hunting to all nomatter how you do it!!!!

Coyote pup distress is real deadly right now. Calling is not as good for me in high heat, so early morning and evenings work good but a night hunt will put them in your lap.

Dont for get to take a picture of the dead ones to send to Vic the preacher.

Originally posted by Van Cent Nebr:
Coyote pup distress is real deadly right now. Calling is not as good for me in high heat, so early morning and evenings work good but a night hunt will put them in your lap.

Van Cent Nebr.

Sorry for the double post. However, it deserves to be read again. I totally agree with you. You are a man after my own heart.

Kill em all!
Clyde
Originally posted by Van Cent Nebr:

Coyote Caller,Spring time is a great time to call coyotes.You do have to change a few things though.I have found that howling and coyote pup distress sounds are more productive at this time of year than the standard rabbit call or fawn distress.That is not to say they won't work just from my experience they don't work as well.I say whenever you get the chance to call coyotes go for it.There are plenty of them out there...
smile.gif
GOOD HUNTING

Back