How are your numbers?

tt35

So, how are the populations doing in your areas?

Numbers are significantly down here. The gov't aerial gunners are finding about 25% of the numbers they usually see and some areas are worse than that. Seems they've found a few with mange in the last two years as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif How are things where you guys hunt? If your numbers are down, any known reasons?

Not too good in this neck of the desert. Heading out tomorrow and Friday towards some spots that are usually better for me. We'll see about that. Gonna have fun regardless.

We're covered up where I'm hunting right now. After deer season, we hope to put a dent in the population. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Have only been out about 3-4 times this year and have only seen one so far. Was out today in fact, saw 1 squirrel and six curious deer while on the first stand, and about 100 or so elk on the drive home. No 'yotes though. We tend to only see one or two a year with about 5-6 trips. Rather frustrating.

The numbers in S.E. Idaho are very good i have seen alot of dogs so far this year and hope they only get better as the snow starts to fly and the deer head for winter grounds will get some kills and post them with pic.

tt35, Not sure where you are in E. Oregon. I'm in Pendleton and the numbers are way down here as well. Have been the last two years. Talked to a guy today that hunts the stuff farther east yet over by Idaho. He also says numbers have been down over the past two years. I've been out 3 time since the first of Nov. and only called on in. Also hear of aerial gunning going one locally in the spring.

I have only been able to get out 3 times /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif called in 9 and got 5. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Would have gotten more if i didn't get so nervous and could hit something! 3 of the ones that got away were the easiest shots and i just got to nervous and jerked the trigger. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

I've done about 20 stands this year and only called in 2 dawgs, I think they have been hit hard in the area I've been hunting by the State Predator Control Program (Flying Them) I haven't seen as much sign this year or had the responses I had last year.

In Southern California deserts the numbers are dismal for me. Areas that used to produce are COMPLETELY dead. There are few if any rabbits or mice. It is like the coyotes all just left. I have not seen or called in a coyote since September ... 50+ dry stands.

It would be interesting to get more data on the disease aspect of this problem. Does anyone have a link to wildlife biologists take on the numbers?

Numbers are pretty good,went out Sat called 7. 5 at the 3rd stand shot at 4 and killed 4 with my boy He got 3 of them. The last one of the day hung up at about 375 yards and the boy took him out with the M 600 Rem .223 first shot.....

Our numbers are way down in my area, the coyotes are here but they seem to be in small pockets & it takes quite a bit of scouting to know where they are. I'm not doing as much "cold calling" as I used to.

The good part is our grey fox population is doing well & the bobcats are at an all time high.

WTG, JC! That's quite a feat. Sounds like your son is a good shot. My boy outshoots me most of the time but don't let him know I said that. It'll just give him a big head! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:
Numbers are really good here in the NC part of Kansas!

Ya think? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hey Tim,
Any thoughts on why that is? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
I have my own thoughts, but I'm always interested in other people's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Other parts of the state don't seem to be recovering quite as well from the mange of recent years.

Compared to last year, I'm getting more dry stands this year.

Not sure if the coyote numbers are down or the number of hunters is up.

With a few exceptions, most of the coyotes I call in are coming in very slow and cautious.

M

Back