alternative for hornady one shot?

skinz0021

i cant find any hornady one shot or any other case lube locally. is there something else that will work?? like silicone spray or ???

thanks in advance!
brandon

FROM ANOTHER FORUM
The spray-on case lubes are probably the best thing to happen to reloading in years. You can make your own spray case sizing lube in bulk by mixing liquid lanolin and 99% isopropyl alcohol. A solution of 1 part liquid lanolin and 4 to 5 parts parts 99 percent isopropyl alcohol (4 oz of liquid lanolin to16 - 20 oz of isopropyl) works well. When mixing you may find that the lanolin mixes better if you warm both the alcohol and lanolin in a bath of warm water to about 105 - 110 degrees F before mixing. DO NOT WARM EITHER OF THEM OVER AN OPEN FLAME! Once the solutions are warm, pour together, mix thoroughly, allow the mix to cool (mix occasionally as it cools) and store in an air tight container to prevent water from being absorbed by the isopropyl. Put mixture into an ordinary spray bottle. To apply the lube, spread the cases in a single layer on a clean surface and spray. Allow the cases to sit for a couple of minutes, roll the cases around and lightly spray again. Wait until the alcohol has evaporated (about 5 minutes) and start sizing. Properly lubed cases will have a slightly greasy feel to them without feeling slimy.

I've heard mention of WD-40 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif
I'd keep it clear of primers and powders , but it may be worth a try if nothing else is available.

OK- don't get mad at me if you have issues, BUT....

A couple of years ago I tried some non-stick (Pam) cooking spray on my cases and it worked great. After using my wife's cooking spray up (which resulted in some much deserved chin music after she went to use it and it was all gone) I started buying the cheapo stuff at the dollar store. It didnt seem to work as good as the Pam but might have been my imagination.

If you want to give it a try it up to you, but it works for me. Smells nice too.

I used to use STP on my lube pad and use Motor Medic on a Q-tip to lube the inside and outside of case necks when expanding from 20cal to 25 cal. It would work well on a lube pad also.

I use Frankfort Arsenal spray lube for everyday case lube.

AWS

right now i have a used can and a can that has no more (arrosal)? i know where 2 more cans are but they are 70% more than they should be. i use spray slicone at work daily and it seems to be pretty close. maybe i should just try it and post about it.

one shot $7-$12
silicone $4 plus 2x OZs...

we will see... have a junk sizer die and wouldnt bother me to get a case stuck!

I think most of the lubes out there today like Dillons and Frankfort Arsonal are just lanolin and alcohol. I like One Shot better because it leaves a much thinner coat, but that's just me.

Mark

The Hornady one shot uses Naptha that is more famable and more toxic. The Lanolin in the Dillon spray lube is good for yor hands. It's not good to inhale either one but I'll take the alcohol.

Quote:
OK- don't get mad at me if you have issues, BUT....

A couple of years ago I tried some non-stick (Pam) cooking spray on my cases and it worked great. After using my wife's cooking spray up (which resulted in some much deserved chin music after she went to use it and it was all gone) I started buying the cheapo stuff at the dollar store. It didnt seem to work as good as the Pam but might have been my imagination.

If you want to give it a try it up to you, but it works for me. Smells nice too.

The use of these odd chemicals can cause hang fire or misfire.
If you don't clean the cases thoroughly expect trouble.
DEF

Quote:
I think most of the lubes out there today like Dillons and Frankfort Arsonal are just lanolin and alcohol. I like One Shot better because it leaves a much thinner coat, but that's just me.

Mark

+1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif Give midway a call they usually have it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif RR

Pick up a tin of Kiwi Minkoil at the grocery store. Just a light smear on your thumb and finger and rub the case down below the shoulder. Drag your finger over the mouth of the case. Wipes right off with a paper shop towel.

Quote:
FROM ANOTHER FORUM
The spray-on case lubes are probably the best thing to happen to reloading in years. You can make your own spray case sizing lube in bulk by mixing liquid lanolin and 99% isopropyl alcohol. A solution of 1 part liquid lanolin and 4 to 5 parts parts 99 percent isopropyl alcohol (4 oz of liquid lanolin to16 - 20 oz of isopropyl) works well. When mixing you may find that the lanolin mixes better if you warm both the alcohol and lanolin in a bath of warm water to about 105 - 110 degrees F before mixing. DO NOT WARM EITHER OF THEM OVER AN OPEN FLAME! Once the solutions are warm, pour together, mix thoroughly, allow the mix to cool (mix occasionally as it cools) and store in an air tight container to prevent water from being absorbed by the isopropyl. Put mixture into an ordinary spray bottle. To apply the lube, spread the cases in a single layer on a clean surface and spray. Allow the cases to sit for a couple of minutes, roll the cases around and lightly spray again. Wait until the alcohol has evaporated (about 5 minutes) and start sizing. Properly lubed cases will have a slightly greasy feel to them without feeling slimy.

I have never seen isopropal alcohol available in anything above 91% strength in normal stores. 99% would require going to a chemical supply house and they are reluctant to sell to the public.

Jack

Kelbro, I too used Mink Oil for years. Stumbled onto it while looking for an alternative to the gooey RCBS lube. I used to tell guys, do your brass, wipe your fingers on your boots, and when you are done, your boots will be waterproofed as well. But now I use Sizing Die Wax, and its as good, or better, than anything I've ever tried. And modern boots come out of the box waterproofed, so we are all happy.

I stuck two cases in dies over the years with One Shot. If you ever stick a case in a die, it will be at the worst possible time...if there ever is a good time.

I use Imperial Sizing Wax or Pro-blend lube available form NAPA that is used for lubing ball bearings when building a race motor.

I'll put two drops of the Pro-Blend on the top of the press behind where the die is screwed in. I'll just dab my finger on the edge of the liquid, and I'll lube
15+ cases on two drops of the stuff.

Never put lube on the shoulder and neck of a case unless you are sizing down the case to a smaller caliber. PUtting lube on the shoulder and necks will result in dented cases, especailly if the vent hole in your die is plugged by the die set ring. Lube migrates up the die body to the shoulder/Neck area where you will get huge dents from lube.

If you want to lube the inside/outside of the case neck, Imperial sells some Black powder that you dip the case neck in and expander balls glide through the neck with no mess to clean up afterwards.

Back