Bait - how long does it take to work?

GJJ

In areas that are legal for bait, how long would you expect for it to attract a coyote if it were in the area?

(Warning: dumb question coming..)

Could you drag bait from stand to stand and expect it to make a difference on your stand for example?

Depends on the bait with how long it takes them.

A road kill deer, etc. might take a couple of days. You need to be able to watch over the bait fairly regularly. Just checking it once in a while would not prove very effective.

The bait needs to be secured, like tied with wire to a bush, because coyotes tend to use the "take out" menu. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It's not a good idea to drag bait along to a stand for hunting.

I would expect coyotes to find it within hours if they are in the area, maybe within an hour. But I don't hunt over bait much at all.

Coyotes come to a bait when THEY want to. I want them to come when I want them to. You can spend a lot of time waiting over bait. We often call in the vicinity of a dead cow or something that a farmer has dragged out of his lot because coyotes will congregate in the area, but sitting around waiting for a coyote to decide he wants to visit the bait is boring.

I don't think dragging one from stand to stand is worth the effort. Your smell will be as strong as the bait's odor for one thing, and unless you lay it down within a couple of hundred meters upwind of a coyote at the time, you will be waiting a long time for it to be even discovered. Then you will have to wait while they investigate their first approach to the bait.

Ive had mixed results. I have had bait never eaten by coyotes in areas that have good populations and gone in one night in others. I usually try to drag it behind the truck if I am using two track roads for 1/4 mile or so and always wire it to something as it will be taken "to go" as Barry said. I dont usually hunt over it but use it as an indicator or a place to focus when calling the area. I find if there are coyotes hitting the bait you can do a few stands in the area and call a number of dogs as all the coyotes in that area are aware of it but not all get to eat due to thier rank.

They could find it the first night or take several days. Just depends on how close you put it to their regular travel areas and the wind direction. Also depends if they're interested due to being curious or hungry as well. If you place lure into a film canister it holds the lure longer keeping it out of the elements and helps attract coyotes to your bait if suspended up a little.

Dragging hasn't been that productive for me unless I'm blazing a trail in deeper snow with the bait... like a deer leg, beaver carcass or similar. Depending on the situation, a coyote will follow this depression in the snow created by you dragging the bait. I use it in trapping situations, not calling.

iSnipe

Using bait while calling is just complicating things and making for more work than it's worth. The most effective way of using bait is hit or miss at best. You can take a road killed deer or dead cow and wire it to a section of range fence. Put it where you can see it from a distance. Once coyotes have started hitting it, approach from downwind. Twang the fence wire a couple of times and go into some wild coyote vocals. Use ki-yi's, yips and yelps. The idea is to trigger the coyotes in the area to either join in at dinner time or to protect their stash from intruding coyotes.

Back