Nikon Coyote Scope

Guys,

First let me say that if Gary said he shot a .6" group with this scope, I have no doubt whatsoever that HE did it! Wind affects POI more than groups anyway. As for the 36grns, maybe they have them doing what they are designed to do... I've never seen or shot one.

Back to scopes. I don't see how any one scope or design can be right for every situation. I think at least three seperate scopes are needed for different coyote hunting situations!

First would be a light weight lower magnification scope say, 1 to 6x or 1.5 to 8x. Smaller circle lines and illuminated center dot. The circles have to be large enough and thin enough to not block the target. I would just use a shotgun if I wanted a circular sight without a center aiming point!

Second, maybe a 3 to 9x with the circles like is being offered with an illuminated option and center dot. That would be very popular with many types of hunters... even deer hunters.

Third a 4x-14x with tree type reticle for elevation and windage with fine lines and illuminated dot.

A high power scope with thick lines is worthless and you don't need windage or elevation on a close range scope! The one thing all coyote setups need in my opinion is an illuminated reticle... even in daylight(green works great)!

My go to scope is a Burris FullfieldII 6.5x20x50 with fineplex reticle. It sits on a 26" barreled Ruger VT in .22PPC. Is it perfect? Heck no! But it works great for my open field type hunting here in Illinois with 100-300yd shots.
If I'm heading into the woods or close cover a Ruger Standard in .223 is all I need with a 3x9 Prostaff... is it perfect, no! Sure wish it had illuminated reticle!

I've even hunted with my "Dan Dowling" built .223 Rem 700 benchgun with 12x42x56mm Nightforce, so as long as it works for you...

Hopefully like has been said Nikon is looking to build scopes with the features we need and want as coyote hunters and that gets my respect and vote all the way! Good job Nikon, and "Thank You" Gary for your input! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

A .6" group, in a 20mph crosswind with this reticle and light weight bullets.
NikonReticle.jpg

Ya sure, whatever you say. Say hello to Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny for me when you see them.

I guess it wouldn't surprise me to find out that not only did Gary shoot that group he probably did it with an H&R Handi Rifle, off-hand, with a mirror over his shoulder.

Well Ursus21...

Until this statement I had respect for you. I think this is blatantly disrespectful coming from anyone.

Quote:
Ya sure, whatever you say. Say hello to Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny for me when you see them.

Nikonut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Nikonut, my comments were not directed specifically at you. They are a blanket statement to anyone who believes that shooting that .6" group (in the described conditons) is anything more than something imagined. Next thing I know folks will be telling me that Texan's never exaggerate the truth a little.

In the lower power range (1-4, 1.5-6, 2.5-8), would anyone pick a Nikon over a Leupold. Are the optics as good and are durability similar. I'm new to this and have several Leupolds for hunting/target shooting but have never used a Nikon. There seems to be a lack of interest in Leupold on this site. Lets keep it polite, no brand wars, just looking for some input. Thanks.BB

I wanted one, cause of the camo pattern matching up with my rifle. But, I don't like fancy scopes on a calling rifle. I want a plain duplex reticle, with nothing else. I don't even like AO's on a scope, but that's a necessary evil on a higher powered scope. I hope Nikon does the smart thing, and offer it with the Nikoplex reticle. I bet they will sell better, if they do.

bigboar, I really like my 2.5-8X Leupold, but Nikon's Monarch Gold 1.5-6X, with the 30mm tube definitely has my attention. I have no reason to think it wouldn't be every bit as good as my Leupolds.

Quote:
I wanted one, cause of the camo pattern matching up with my rifle. But, I don't like fancy scopes on a calling rifle. I want a plain duplex reticle, with nothing else. I don't even like AO's on a scope, but that's a necessary evil on a higher powered scope. I hope Nikon does the smart thing, and offer it with the Nikoplex reticle. I bet they will sell better, if they do.

x's 2

Quote:
In the lower power range (1-4, 1.5-6, 2.5-8), would anyone pick a Nikon over a Leupold.

I've got 2 Nikon 3-9 Buckmasters, a 4-12 Monarch and a Vari-X II 3-9 (which is 30 years old).
The Buckmasters are close to the Leupold and the
Monarch is nicer. For a varmint rifle, the Buckmasters are plenty good.

Quote:
There seems to be a lack of interest in Leupold on this site.

Actually, Leupold gets recommended on this site a lot. I've never seen any Leupold bashing. Nikon's giving them some heavy competition on price/performance, from what I've seen.

Thanks for the input on the Nikons, I may give them a try for my next scope purchase. Other guys I hunt with have had trouble using another well known brand (shifting point of impact, fogging etc.)so I don't want to try anything without some assurance of quality. The only trouble I had with a Leupold was after I had put over 10,000 rounds through the rifle it was on and they fixed that for free. Again thanks.

All my rifles wear Leupolds, Big Boar.

I also would give another quality manufacturer a chance, especially if they had something I liked.

Quote:
All my rifles wear Leupolds, Big Boar.

I also would give another quality manufacturer a chance, especially if they had something I liked.

I second that...

I'm sporting Leopolds on every one of our rifles, but would try something else, given the chance.

Just a suggestion for those that want to try something new. The top of the line Vortex scopes (Viper) are pretty darn nice. I'm running a 4-12X Viper on my RRA AR-15 right now and I like it a lot. I would like a little lower power on the low end, but for now it will do. I sure can't complain about the clarity/brightness of the scope, or the no hassle warranty though.
Link:
http://www.vortexoptics.com/riflescopes

My intial reaction was like many, a Buckmaster in cammo with the honeycomb. The reticle I guess is the big innovation, and it throws us all for a loop ( no pun intended actually). Without trying the scope, or at least looking through it, difficult to say if it is good or not. We should certainly not dismiss it just because it is different, IMHO. Coyotes in general appear quickly and leave just as quickly in TN. The whole speed aiming with the ring could be just what is required. This has been developed in part by somebody who has called more coyotes than a lot of us put together. I would certainly be anxious to look through one in real life. Having looked through one, we could make a more accurate decision on whether it will work for the application.

I live and shoot in one of the windiest passes in California. Just ask the wind turbine people. They've put up hundreds of them. (I wish they'd shut those big fans off so things would calm down around here.;)). As a result, my kids got me one of those Kestrel 1000 wind meters. I had made plans for a hunting trip and needed to check my zero so I headed to the local range. It was windy but what the heck? I had a new gizmo to play with. When I got to the range I fired up the gizmo and it said the wind was currently at 18 mph. As I set up my stuff, it kept recording wind speeds. When I was ready to finally sit down and shoot, the gizmo said the wind was currently 13 mph, with a max gust at 24 mph and an overall average of 21 mph. The wind was blowing right-to-left, an honest 90 degree crosswind. Savage .223, 36 gr. Varmint Grenades, 3300fps,range of 100 yards. The first shot was 3.25" left of the bull. Five shots were fired and caliper measured as a 1.87" group with the group roughly centered at 3.43" left of the bull. I accept the standard of a 4" kill zone for a coyote so if I aim 3" to the right I have roughly 2" of "slop" to work with. Not ideal, but good enough for government work. And now I have to take two aspirin and lie down. Every time I think, my head hurts.

Be nice to find out just how big that upper circle is. The reticle has rangefinding written all over it..for the few that might be interested. I guess we'll just have to wait until the catalog comes out to see the specs on it.

Let me further explain how I shot the rifle in with the Nikon Coyote scope. First, let me say that I shot a .3" group with this rifle and ammo with no wind on this same 100 yard range. I cheated in that I use one of the Colwell Lead Sleds. When I shot with this new scope, I cheated again. I drew a 3" circle with horizontal and vertical lines so that the lines on the target would would match what I was seeing through my scope. I did this to help me shoot for precision on the bench. I should have given all of these details from the very beginning.
I just returned from the hunt with Nikon, Savage, Mossy Oak and Burnham Brothers where I had a chance to actually put the scope in a hunting situation. We had a slower hunt than what I wanted but were able to kill 20 dogs. I did not test the scope at any distance past 100 yards as all of the coyotes that I shot were within 80.
I had the 3-9x40 set at 5x when making the call and had no problem making any of the shots including a full frontal. I feel that the scope reduced target acquisition time which is what I attempted to do when we started on this project. I did not have an opportunity to take a running shot so I cannot tell anything about that. If I was going to shoot at a coyote's eye, this is not the reticle that I would choose. I would want a fine crosshair for the delicate work but if I can keep my bullet in a 3" circle on the mid shoulder area of a coyote, I will generally get him down.
I hope this explains a few things as I did not mean to upset anyone.
Adios,
Gary

Gary, the additional information does make your claims a little more believable. I do have few other questions though. One what type of rifle were you using that shot in the .3's? Second how many shots were in your group. Lastly, how do you account for the variables of the wind between 0 and a 100 yards. I'm being serious, perhaps the wind blows differently out there, but I have yet to see a consistant 20 mph wind out here. It can vary a lot in fact in the short amount of time it takes to sight in. Anyway, if you can consistantly shoot groups like that in wind like that I am truly humbled and amazed. One thing I do completely believe though, is that reticle is probably very good for killing coyotes under 100 yards, but one that I'm not sure I could ever get used to.

Back