2 Coyotes/ 1 Bobcat

Dogboy

Before sunrise, Mike, Tim and I met up, headed out to an area that we had only called once early in the season..

Our only problem today was the wind..Tempratures were in the mid 50's, overcast, but the stinking wind did want to be nice today. 15-20 mph. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angry-smiley-055.gif

After 3 stands in that area, we headed east to see if we could find an area the wind was not so bad.

We did a total of 12 stands today, stand 6,7,8, produced critters. These stands were only 1/4 mile apart in the flatlands. Shotguns were the weapons of choice today.

We used the SP55 speaker and the FX5 to get the sounds out there, it worked. Tim will correct me but Angry jackrabbit and Snowshoe hare were a couple of our favorite calls today.

The two coyotes Mike shot came in under 2 minutes. One came in the back door and was trying to get out of town when Mike spotted her, and nailed her before she got away.

Tim wa using a new hand call when Mike shot the female and I'll let him chime in and tell you about that.

At the 4 minute mark on stand 8 a very dark female bobcat came in front of me to 25 yards and got knocked down with 2 quick loads of DC out of my Benelli, the half shotgun Tim calls it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif

Mike's first coyote was a nice big male weighing 33 lbs 2 oz.
003-2.jpg

002-4.jpg

Mike's second coyote a female.
Ken_Tim_and_Me_12-8-08_1.jpg

My bobcat, she weighed 18 pounds.
Ken_Cat_12-8-08_2.jpg

Ken_Cat_12-8-08.jpg

And Mike was able to find himself a new shooting chair while in the field. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
004.jpg

Not a bad end to a day that started out looking like we would draw a blank. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

And of course the day would not have been complete without everyone busting chops on one subject or another... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Nice job guys! Purty kitty there Ken. Is Mikes chair one of them spinning office chairs that reclines too? He looks pretty darn comfy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Half Shotgun? Now Ken be truthfull.

Seriously guys, when Ken said he was leaving the Mossturd at home today and bringing the Benelli, I thought great, he's actually going to bring a real shotgun. Holy crap, when he pulled that so called Benelli from the case, I almost fell over laughing. It seriously looks like the gun that came with Nintendo Duck Hunt and is now appropriately named the "NINKENDO".... But at least he did kill a bobcat with his toy gun.

The new hand call I was using is from Loren Reese and is called the "FlatLiner" I believe. It's the one Mike is holding in the pic. It has two JC reeds side by side and has a really unique sound and for sure cuts the wind. Gonna be a keeper!! Thanks Loren.

Another good hunt and more good times. Those pictures do not do justice to how dark this bobcat actually is. The bottoms or her hind legs are pitch black all the way up past her knees.

Last edited:
That cat does have some interesting character.

Nice job fighting the wind fellas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

I can't believe Tim would speak so condescendingly of that Benelli. No appreciation of tactical weapons. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Very cool looking cat! But geeze... I just BARELY gave Jim a ration about his shotgun, and click in here to find shotguns cleaning house. Making it hard for me to maintain any consistency and credibility here...

- DAA

One of the coolest bobcats I have seen in a long time. 1/4 mile stands on flatlands? Did any of those stands pan out? 33 lb coyote is nothing to scoff at in my book. I have shot only 1 that size before.

Congrats to the whole crew-

Quote:
1/4 mile stands on flatlands? Did any of those stands pan out?

That's when we killed the 3 critters, 3 stands in a row and it wasn't until 1230pm.

Quote:
Very cool looking cat! But geeze... I just BARELY gave Jim a ration about his shotgun, and click in here to find shotguns cleaning house. Making it hard for me to maintain any consistency and credibility here...

- DAA

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks everyone for your comments.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Back