trap bed depth

bghunter119

i have been setting my foot hold pan so it is at ground level, is this too high or do i need to go deeper??????????i am trying foot holds for the first time this year and have bought a book, set up the way they showed in the book, still is pretty slow, caught a few coons,biggest was 26lb boar coon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif though, thanks for the input.

I go a little deeper. Hard to say how much but I'd guess 1-2". I bed the trap solid then sift dirt to cover the trap. I use my trowel to rake the dirt off of the pan. I then take my hands and pack the dirt down over all but the pan. Then sift a final layer again. This leaves a small depression on the pan, looks like an old track. This makes the animal step down into the trap with weight, kind of like a little target. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

yea i like my pan bout 2inch deeper then the ground b/c ritter will step down the step up.... ohh make sure theres rocks or any thing over your pan b/c they will step were it is the smoothest

Back