E-caller speakers

Durango

I'm in the process of putting together my home-made E-caller. So far I'm using a cheapy walkman type tape player, a 15 watt amp and a RS 50 watt horn. Right now the tape player is horribly noisy and will be replaced with a Phillips CD Jogger (walkman). My biggest disappointment seems to be in the speaker quality and I don't find much info on here about speakers on search so I'd like to start a discussion. What if the outside of the horn were to be coated with-say an inch-of that spray foam sealant? Why not use 1 or 2 small stereo speakers? Is sound quality not that important to coyotes? Voluume VS range? The RS horn is only rated to 10k htz, cheap stereo speaker is 20k-- don't canines hear much higher ranges?
My son, who is the techy for this project, is a stereo/music freak and spends/wastes alot of time and money on his systems and He says dump the horn and build a good enclosure for small active cone speaker(s}. I've mentioned stereo a couple of times and I don't mean to suggest stereo sound for calling--just trying to classify what speakers I'm referring to.
What are your thoughts and/or experiences with this end of the system?
Steve

Somewhere here that was discussed...

Someone who knows this will be along soon.

Whatever the reason, it was good enough for me that I didn't use the speaker I already owned, I instead bought a powerhorn.

Jeff
wave1.gif

Durango,

Here is something I posted 1-18-2002. This is a good source for speaker horns. Hope this helps.

....As for loudspeakers...I'm using 5" and 8" horns I got from a place called CSI/SPECO. They shipped next day and the price is very good. A 5"/15watt(SPC6P) is about $9 and the 8"/25watt is $25, not including shipping. I bought eight of them and sold the extras to my buddies(they work great on JS and other callers). Their web address is here:Speco Good Luck Hunting! Nikonut

Back