? 4 hunters that have taken over 50 coyotes

crawpytime1

I have tried most bullets and have still yet to decide on which type is most effective. Just wanted to get opinions on what everyone prefers for taking down yotes. I'm mainly wanting to know about style of bullets soft point,hollow point or ballistic tip vs brand and weights. I want opinions from hunters that have taken numerous yotes with all the listed bullets.

i have taken coyotes with all of the 3 types. although most have been with a 55 grain ballistic tip out of my 22-250. recently i have shot quite a few with a 65 grain softpoint out of my .223 AR.

i really like the ballistic tips for coyotes. i feel that they provide the most hydrostatic shock and do not exit. which i like hunting around cattle and other stuff i do not want bullets to punch through and damage. as long as you stay away from direct shoulder shots they work great in my opinion. i have not had any complaints on the soft points except they they often times exit.

I shoot 60- 80 per year. I have tried them and I do not perfer the balistic tip bullet. Allot of our shots around here are running shots. And there are times when we had trouble with ballistic tips splattering on the fur and never entering. They do shoot good just not the performance I was looking for. I also save they fur so a Hornady hollow point or soft point works well as do the Bergers.

I have been experimenting with the 40 gr. Ballistic Tips at just over 4000fps from my .22-250. Once I have shot them all up I will go back to my 55gr. Ballistic Tip that I have used for several years.

I'm interested in finding out if there is one favorite of many. I suspect it won't be a very clear cut decision.

My favorite coyote/bobcat bullet is 55 gr. Nosler BT @ 3300 fps in .223 AR. Have shot a few w/60 gr. NP (when culling does) and they performed well, too but the BT much more effective and cost efficient. Shot a few coyotes and a bobcat w/100 gr. Nos. solid base in 243 WSSM @ 3000 fps. (again, while culling does) and this bullet a bit too tough for the smaller animals; resulted in a couple of spinners.

Regards,
hm

soft points, sierra 1365's lots of guys kill coyotes with just about anything, however I don't think they are looking at their kills and seeing how the bullets really did, 50 grain vmaxes blow stuff up, with the 50 bergers I had been shooting I got a little more penetration then a blow up. the 1365 penetrates enough to do the job and exits with about a quarter size exit in my experience.

plastic tipped bullets are the wrong choice unless you are pushing them at 223 speeds

For my 222remmag, I mainly use Sierra 55gr spbt's. Very fur friendly, but I do get more exits than with the 55gr Nosler Btip. I don't like the Hornaday Vmax for coyotes, to many runners and splash wounds.

I have had nothing but good luck with 55 v-max out of a 22-250 running right at 3600 fps. killed 48 dogs last year so i guess i dont qualify. Lee

I don't shoot over 50 coyotes a year either but I've shot a lot more than 50 coyotes in my life.

I assume you're looking for a "fur load" but you didn't specify. For fur, as you probably already know, you'll always walk a fine line between exits and splashes. Too light= splash; too heavy= exits if all other things are equal (which they rarely are). If you use the v-max, go heavy. The lighter bullets will poleaxe coyotes with the right shots and the right velocities but you will also lose some when things don't line up. The 60 grain v-max works best for us at moderate .22-250 velocities. I've had terrible luck with hollow points in the .22-250. Berger, Speer, Sierra, and Hornady hollow points all tear them up. Remington PSP will exit on rib shots but not with huge holes in my experience. Forty grain bullets at hot .22-250 velocities will splash on quartering-on shoulder shots.

The Berger .204 35 grain hp has accounted for the most coyotes and cats with little pelt damage and very few, if any, splashes. We shoot them at all angles and distances as the shots present themselves. The 32 gr poly-tipped .204 bullets, however, will have the same problems as the 40 gr .22-250 bullets.

Good luck.

First choice in the plastic tip catagory is the V-Max.
It just puts them down well.

Second choice overall is the PSP bullet.

Both are related to my experience with them out of .223 rifles.

I don't know to the exact number how many coyotes I have killed, but I hope the number is high enough I don't get scolded by the OP for replying to his "Holier than thou" post.

Now for the real question. I have had more spinners and runner with plain-jane soft point bullets out of the 22-250 and 223. The 50 and 55 grain V-Max bullets also are not what I consider a reliable "Take any shot, any angle" projectile either.

I am currently running the 60 VMax out of my 18" AR in 223 caliber and have to this point found it to be about the best I have used to this point. About a handful of coyotes have died with this combo so far.

Our antlerless deer season opens this coming weekend and I am going to give the 60 VMax a try on the slickheads.

I have no doubt they will work fine, just curious whether they are tough enough to get through a shoulder on a 100# deer.

Clayman

Quote:
I have had nothing but good luck with 55 v-max out of a 22-250 running right at 3600 fps. killed 48 dogs last year so i guess i dont qualify. Lee

Wow that's a lot "o" dog's..Has the V-Max been fur friendly ?? Or just mainly DRT..

[Edit] I think HighPlain's think's i'm being adverse,not the case @ all.I only asked what i consider to be a fair question @ least given the amount of controversy that surround's the V-max bullet what i found interesting is that you were able to take so many coyote's.My curiosity simply get's the best of me.I only wonder how many were blow up's ?? spinner's runner's ect..ect..

Last edited:
Quote:
Quote:

Wow that's a lot "o" dog's..Has the V-Max been fur friendly ?? Or just mainly DRT..

Dont bite Skeet. Just let it go and all will be well.

Don't know how many I have taken(well over 200) but I have shot them with everything from 22lr to a 308. I have settled on the 223 and 22-250 for most efficient and effective. The Hornady 50gr. VMax out of the 22-250 is a one shot wonder. They don't run, spin, flop....they take an instant dirt nap. The 223 is still in the proving stages but the 55gr. VMax looks very promising.

I have shot around 35-40 coyotes with the v-max and B-tipped bullets. I wont argue with anybody about there killing power. Yes you will get some splashes but it is an effective bullet. I dont like them and dont use them anymore. Im shooting a 52 seirra BTHP matchking out of my 22-250 and love them. They are a very fur friendly bullet and they are very destructive. If your not saving fur and dont mind the occasional splash I would go with any of the plastic tipped bullets. If your saving the fur I think any of the HP from the big boys are your best bet. My .02

For 15+ years I used the Speer 52 HP in the 22-250 and only one coyote, in all them years escaped. But I quite using them, for they just wouldn't hold very good accuracy after 300 yds.

Now I use the 55 V Max "Moly" and I am 100% pleased with them.

Speaking in very general terms (many variables involved, and some exceptions), I personally do NOT favor any of the plastic tipped bullets for coyotes. I much prefer more traditional cup and core construction, with either a "match" type hollow point, or a plain old spitzer.

- DAA

You did'nt mention what Cal.
For 17 cal.'s the 30 gr woodchuck works well..
22-250 the 52 gr. sierra H.P. match
22-250imp The Hornady 52 gr. A-Max
243 60 gr. H.P.
243 ackley 58 gr. V-Max

Quote:

Lee, relax, take a deep breath. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

I find it fascinating that we can have such a divergence of experiences. Good reading.

Back